• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Any decoding improvements on Premiere Pro V.22 for AMD systems???

Enthusiast ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just saw the new Premiere update (v.22) and improved decoding for 10bit 422 H264 and HEVC footage. Sounds great. But will this not improve playback performance of H264 and HEVC footage on an AMD system?

I have:

AMD 5950x CPU

AMD 6800XT GPU

64GB ram

etc.

(I also have a boxed 3080 card if you think that'll be better than the 6800xt...but went with the 6800xt because of puget system's test results for multicam which I do often. We only work with Sony footage (H264 and HEVC...mostly 10bit stuff)

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it should work.. the 6800xt has gpu acceleration. im pretty sure that the 6800xt would perform better in premiere though. 

i dont see why the update wouldn't be improved for the 6800xt.

~Jake

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason I was asking...the update says: 

New hardware-accelerated decoding for 10-bit 4:2:2 HEVC files provides improved playback and smoother editing with supported hardware, including M1 Macs and Windows Intel machines.

and

New hardware-accelerated decoding for 10-bit 4:2:2 H.264 provides an improved editing experience on M1 Macs. 

NOTHING about AMD Systems???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They didn't mention NVIDIA cards either.. 

I think in that message, they are referring to CPUs. The systems they are referring to (M1 Macs and Windows Intel machines) are most common, especially since they are laptops. I would still think that they made it better for AMD machines in the update, but I searched on Google and nothing came up about improved performance for AMD systems. 

Yeah, so I really don't know. You won't get off any better with a 3080 most likely since the 6800xt is better for editing in general.

~Jake

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem with that is that Adobe Premiere Pro simply does not perform well in OpenCL in Windows. Adobe continues to optimize its CUDA renderer while it has neglected its OpenCL renderer for several years now. AMD GPUs do not support CUDA at all in Windows; they support only OpenCL in that environment.

And this lackadaisical support for OpenCL is majorly resonsible for the relatively poor live playback performance in Windows systems with discrete AMD GPUs compared to even those with cheap Nvidia GPUs.

With that said, the 10-bit 422 H.264/HEVC decoding support applies only to integrated graphics processors (M1 for Mac and Intel UHD/Iris Graphics for Windows and Mac) at this time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think 'most' of the AMD GPUs in use are on Macs now, and Apple of course "requested" that all participating partner vendors "deprecate" OpenCL. Which was a very heavy request. To be polite.

So I guess that it hasn't seemed that useful for the Adobe developers to work on AMD cards using OpenCL, expecting most of them to run Metal.

Tough for many users though, that's for sure.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 05, 2022 Jan 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, that is partially AMD's decision. Note that AMD has not (yet) jumped onto the OpenCL 3.0 bandwagon. All of the RX 6000 series GPUs officially still support only OpenCL 2.1 (even on Windows platforms) while the newer products from both Nvidia and Intel support OpenCL 3.0. And Adobe software, in particular Premiere Pro, performs relatively poorly under OpenCL 2.x regardless of the GPU being used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well of course, AMD is probably less focused on productivity software and more focused on gaming, so it makes sense why they haven't really made any improvements yet. (although it's kind of been a while, the popular amd cards have been out for a little bit, over a year at this point)

~Jake

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JqkeFX

There is a difference between GPU acceleration of effects using CUDA Vs hardware encoding and decoding for H.264/265. Quick Sync and Nvenc are for hardware encoding and decoding. The video below might be helpful.

"improved decoding for 10bit 422 H264 and HEVC footage".  Sounds awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L-erwmRxAU

This video demonstrates how to enable GPU acceleration and GPU encoding and decoding. It also shows how to enable Intel's Quick Sync. Resolve https://amzn.to/3NcL1zP Adobe CC 1 year https://amzn.to/3Da0qMN All links are monetized.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I would think so... they are two different things lol.

~Jake

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 07, 2022 Jan 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JqkeFX

You implied the AMD 6800XT  should improve decoding for 10bit 422 H264 and HEVC footage because it has GPU acceleration. You  never mentioned Quick Sync which encodes and decodes H.264. My video showed how to enable Quick Sync because people were talking Open CL and CUDA which are both irrelevant when talking about H.264. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I realize 2 months ago I didn't know that OpenCL does nothing.. You are saying that you should enable Quick Sync if you have a Radeon gpu?

~Jake

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only certain Intel CPUs support QuickSync - and those must have an integrated Intel GPU present and enabled in order to even enable QuickSync at all. If you have an Intel CPU that absolutely requires a discrete GPU just to even run at all (for example, an F-series CPU or an X-series CPU), or if you have an AMD CPU, then you cannot have QuickSync at all. In fact, you cannot have hardware H.264 or HEVC encoding or decoding at all if you have an AMD APU with its integrated Radeon Vega graphics as its only available GPU because these low-end GPUs do not have a hardware encoder or decoder at all.

With that said, I do not recommend enabling QuickSync if you have an AMD GPU because both the integrated Intel UHD Graphics and the discrete Radeon GPU support OpenCL for renders (not to be confused with encodes), and enabling QuickSync would force Premiere Pro's hardware renderer to heavily favor the weaker GPU (in this case, the Intel one) for MPE GPU acceleration - in other words, the Intel GPU would show far higher usage than the discrete AMD one (on the order of something like 95% to 5%). Things are different with Nvidia GPUs because Adobe uses CUDA for Nvidia GPUs, and the only way to force the Intel GPU to use MPE GPU acceleration for effects rendering would be to switch the renderer to OpenCL mode (the default is CUDA).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

JqkeFX,

The answer to your question is no! I did not say AMD users should enable Quick Sync. How did you come to that conclusion? I am demonstrating Intel's Quick Sync feature so AMD users can see the benefit and also realize why AMD CPUS will not support the new H.264 video codecs like Intel.  Does it all make sense now? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines