• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

App freezes when loading any project; trashing prefs fixes it temporarily

Explorer ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My app hangs whenever I load a project. Trashing my Premiere preferences solves it temporarily, until I close and re-open Premiere.

I've been experiencing this behavior for the last month or so. I have auto-updates enabled, so I'm always using the current version (15.4.1 build 6 on Mac OS 11.4 at this exact moment).

Here's the flow:

• Premiere Pro opens without problems.
  • When I open a project (whether from the home screen or from the finder), the project loads and appears, but a progress bar appears for loading media assets and the app hangs there indefinitely, with the loading bar animation active.
  • I found that if I trash prefs on launching the app (option-click to open Premiere), all projects load without problems.
  • Premiere functions normally until I quit it. Upon reopening, the bug happens again unless I nuke preferences.
  • Trashing preferences in the Finder or on launching the app yields the same positive result.
  • This persists across project files, source hard drives, media cache locations, etc.... 
  • I have uninstalled and reinstalled Premiere through the Creative Cloud app. The problem was not fixed (except for the very first time launching the app after the fresh install, presumably because the prefs were brand new).

It appears that something is corrupting the preferences file whenever the app closes, perhaps.

I'm getting very quick at syncing my keyboard shortcuts and preferences from Creative Cloud, for minimal downtime, but it's still a pain to deal with. I hoped that last week's update would address this, but nothing changed. I also wonder if the creative cloud preferences/keyboard shortcuts sync is in fact the aspect that is introducing the bug.

I'm very interested to hear if anyone has experienced anything like this before, and if you were able to find a solution.

TOPICS
Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would try getting rid of your media cache.

Go to the top of the interface-Premiere Pro/Media and Disk Cache and use the tools to clean and delete fhe files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I stated in the OP, I've done this many times and it hasn't solved the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apologies: I wasn't clear about that in my OP. But yes, I have cleared and moved the media cache many times. It's one of my first troubleshooting tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: I tried launching and closing the app several times without syncing my preferences with Creative Cloud and the app is no longer crashing. My best guess at this moment is that the Creative Cloud prefs became corrupted. I'm going to attempt to re-create my keyboard shortcuts without syncing and hope that the problem doesn't return.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2022 May 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Did that solution work for you? 

I'm having almost the exact same problem. Using a Macbook Pro 14 with the M1 chip running 15.4.5 (long term supported version) I have reformatted my External Samsung HD (2 TB SSD) to APFS, I'm still getting PP hanging at startup unless I nuke the preferences. Then it launches and runs.  I dont even know if my prefs are synching with CC at this point. 

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines