• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Applying Track Matte Key Changes Frame of Text Above It

Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2022 Mar 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, jumping into Premiere on Windows after almost exclusively using FCPX where I've run into a puzzle with the Track Matte Key.

ninap9xd_0-1646608421084.png

Here I'm looking to put the video inside the text so first I make it all nice and big. Video on V1, Text on V2.

ninap9xd_1-1646608615016.png

Then when I pop the effect on the video and set the matte to video 2 and suddenly the text is a lot smaller. which wouldn't be a problem if...

ninap9xd_2-1646608989049.png

It didn't limit how much I could scale the text back up! There's some kind of smaller frame on top of the video that cuts off the text. I'll scale up the text more to show the edges of the new frame better. 

ninap9xd_3-1646609378519.png

I haven't been able to find what's causing this yet, so I thought I'd ask.

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 06, 2022 Mar 06, 2022

Are you making any Scale adjustments to the Track Matte or the video that's applied to the Track Matte? The Track Matte Key in Premiere has kind of a funky behavior when it comes to scaling. The Motion effects, which include the scale, are applied at the end of the effects chain. To get around this, if you need to scale your video at all or the text for the matte, try using the Transform Effect and put it before the Track Matte Key (if you're doing the scaling on that video layer). Otherwise the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a screenshot of your timeline and of the Effects Control Panel?

Do you have any other effects applied?  If so, try changing the order of the effects in the Effects Control Panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ninap9xd_0-1646618132067.pngninap9xd_1-1646618168297.pngninap9xd_2-1646618189879.png

Grabbed a screenshot of all the layers. I'm going to want an orange background to this so I went ahead and move the others up and put it in V1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also make that in Essential Graphics, just make the text, drop the video into Essential Graphics and click Mask with Text

MyerPj_0-1646614911622.pngMyerPj_1-1646614937827.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ninap9xd_0-1646617549785.png

No luck yet, sorry. It just made the white text disappear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you making any Scale adjustments to the Track Matte or the video that's applied to the Track Matte? The Track Matte Key in Premiere has kind of a funky behavior when it comes to scaling. The Motion effects, which include the scale, are applied at the end of the effects chain. To get around this, if you need to scale your video at all or the text for the matte, try using the Transform Effect and put it before the Track Matte Key (if you're doing the scaling on that video layer). Otherwise the behavior is that the Track Matte Key and the video you're using as the Matte are basically locked together.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! Applying the Transform effect to the Text itself did the trick!

ninap9xd_0-1646655616740.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm glad that worked @ninap9xd. Another helpful effect to keep in mind in these types of situations is the Offset effect if you only need to move X,Y position. I can't remember the situation but maybe a week ago I was working on something or helping somebody with something and Offset worked but Transform did not. Just something to keep in the back pocket.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To get around this, if you need to scale your video at all or the text for the matte, try using the Transform Effect and put it before the Track Matte Key

By @Phillip Harvey

Is this new? Because I have tried this in the past and did not work.

Might have been a matte made with the legacy titler.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not really sure if it's new or not. I have maybe only been aware of that workaround for a couple of years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines