• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Artefacts in exported Videos from 8bit 420 XAVC-S Sony Footage on MacPro 2019 in Premiere

Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear community, dear Adobe support team.

Fergus Hammond mentioned "machine specific issues" and that Adobe wants to get more information about the issue described here - and to me my problem sounds very similar. As he asked to open a thread in this forum, I will do so now.

I am experiencing bad artefacts after exporting Videos, as shown in the following screenshot:

Artefacts.jpg

How to reproduce this problem:

• XAVC-S 4k 8bit 420 Footage from any of my Sony Cameras
  • Place these in a timeline in a Premiere project
  • Work on the project, meaning: scrub on the timeline, playback, scrub, etc.
  • While working everything runs fine
  • Export the project, do some resizing, ie to .h264 720p *.mp4
  • No plugins are used, fresh install on a fresh system for testing on my side
  • In a 6 minute clip there will be about 6-10 glitches
  • It does not matter whether hardware acceleration is enabled or not
  • It does not matter wich specific render options are enabled

This problem exists for me now for nearly a year. I can do some workarounds to prevent this from happening:

• Restart the machine, open the project with the playhead parked outside of the visible sequence. Do nothing but render. There are chances that the project will render fine.
  • Convert the source clips ie via Resolve. The occurence of the artefacts is greatly reduced.

My System:

• Apple MacPro 2019
  • 16-core, 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W
  • AMD Radeon Pro Vega II Duo
  • Premiere: all actual Versions since Nov 2021

I had my MP2019 at the Apple store to check hardware Problems. They even exchanged the CPU & GPU to test. Without success, the problem is still present.

I use 5 other Macs in my studio. Every machine can render the project flawless, only the MP2019 can not.

I have prepared a Download on Google Drive with some footage and a simple Premiere project. If there is any interest here, i will gladly share it, please let me know.

If there are more questions please also let me know. Your help is greatly appreciated, and i fact needed, as this problem drives me nuts...

Thank you in advance, best regards, Eric.

TOPICS
Error or problem , Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add some more information to this question, I uploaded a rendered clip to youtube:

This is just one example render. The glitches appear absolutely random, in another render they will be at different timings. I have added times at which the glitches occur in the youtube video description.

It would be very great if somenone could give me a hint what i could try to do to get rid of this problem. As said earlier, i already did a complete hardware check in the Apple store. They said it is a premiere problem (as I can render these clips fine in Resolve this might be true) and / or a sony problem (might be true also, but a s i have 5 different sony cameras and all produce these errors with this codec i doubt it).

So first thing I would be very interested in: Is this forum the right place to contact Adobe support to get help with this?

Thanks for your assistance, best regards, Eric.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 
You said "all actual Versions since Nov 2021". Can you please tell me what the latest version is that you've had this issue with? 

Regards,

Fergus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Fergus,

I just updated to 23.0.0 before I decided to finally try to reach your support.

Thanks for looking into this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, just to confirm, you're saying that the issue is still happening in v23? If so, can you try deleting your media cache and repeating the export? Instructions are here: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/clear-cache.html. Make sure that you do not have any Premiere Pro projects open when deleting the cache. 

Does your Mac Pro have an Afterburner card in it? What Sony cameras are you using? Do you see the issue when using other variants of XAVC? 

Regards,

Fergus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the issue happens also in v23.

I did many many many tests with this issue. Deleting the media cache has become a daily job for me. But this alone doesnt help unfortunately. As said, best chances to get a clean render are to restart the machine as described earlier. But right now I must admit that I am not sure whether I tried to do an explicit testing session with deleting the cache in v23 - I will do so, but I am sure it doesnt help.

No I do not own a Afterburner card.

Cameras are Sony a7II a1 FX3

I do not experience this issue with Intraframe Codecs, as far as I can tell it only happens with XAVC-S

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that's very useful. Does the issue only happen with 8 bit 420 files from the cameras or other combinations too? Either way, would you please share some of these files with us? We do have several similar cameras in our lab, including the FX3 and the new FX30, but getting your files would be useful too. 

Regards,

Fergus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately I cannot tell exactly. I use 8bit 420 XAVC-S for "unimportant" projects only, where disk space matters and the recording times are relatively long. For "important" projects I use 10bit 422 XAVC-S-I and grade the files in Resolve to ProRes before finishing the cut in Premiere (in fact I do less and less in Premiere since I experience this bug, but there are some Essential graphics templates ie. I do not want to recreate in Fusion). Or record ProResRAW in my Ninja. But as far as I can tell, the issue doesnt happen with 10bit 422 XAVC-S-I - which to me sounds explainable as this looks extremely like a Long GOP problem - but I am no expert in codecs.

Yes, as said earlier I have prepared a Google Drive Folder with footage and a premiere project - Is there any way to link it to you without making the link public in this forum, ie can i PM you? It is not that this footage is top secret - but the download is about 5GB...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I got the footage and I'll follow-up with you via DM. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As discussed via PM with @Fergus H  I did some more tests with different codecs, and also one more with the footage already provided. I did these tests on a fresh OSX Ventura system with only Premiere installed.

At this time I again want to point out, that the error also occurs with XAVC S 4K 8bit 420 footage transcoded in Resolve before using it in Premiere - but far less often.

There are mainly two interesting results:

I used only one single clip of the already provided XAVC S 4K 8bit 420 footage. I copied this clip 10 times in a sequence. Rendered the sequence. If the problem occurs, it happens in every copy of the clip at the exact same place. In different renders, the problem occurs in different places. The problem occurs in nearly every render (given the circumstance that I work on the sequence, scrub and play the timeline, as explained ealier in this thread).

I recorded some footage in two different codecs: XAVC HS 8K 10bit 420 and XAVC S-I 4K 10bit 422, both from my Sony a1. With both codecs the error did NOT occur as far as I can see. But of course these tests were not as extensive as the previous ones.

Thanks again for your assistance, best regards, Eric.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines