• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Aspect Ratio confusion, 1080 x 1620? What am I doing wrong?

New Here ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So... I'm working on a film that was originally shot in HD 720 from 2010, on a Panasonic HVX200 with a Red Rock adapter. However, the original AVID project file was lost so I am recovering the film from an export that was used for a DVD release. I created a sequence in Premiere from the film file. 
When I export a test at 1080 the file says it's size is 1620 x 1080. And a test from match source says it's 480 x 720. The sequence settings say 480 x 720. 
The client said I should put black bars on the sides so that the film could be exported in true 1080 x 1920, however, the picture looks like it's 16:9 already. 

I imported a 1080 x 1920 clip from another project and the difference on the width is very minimal. 

But maybe that's all the difference 300 pixels make. 
I have made a few needed edits to the film but now realizing I need to make this change. 
Should I create a 1080 x 1920 sequence and copy and past what is in my curren 480 sequence to the new sequence? Thanks. 

TOPICS
Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make a copy of your project and do some testing. Try what you asked. If the footage is 480 x 720 it won't make a great 1080p program, but it's to try different things and see what works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just made a realization, but not sure how to proceed. 

I think I'm having an issue with widescreen pixels. When I import the footage with it's native settings it defaults to NTSC Widescreen (1.2121). So in creating a 1920 x 1080 sequence it was super-wide, and switching to square pixels normalized it. So, I guess the next question is. Should I change the sequence to be square pixels or keep the native settings of the source file. Thanks again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it looks right with square pixels, then do change it to that in the project settings.

You can use the free MediaInfo program to get info on your clips. Get the program from the link below and using the 'Tree' view post a screenshot of your clip info: https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Plus 1 for MyerPj's suggestion to look at the source with MediaInfo (in tree view).

I would start with examining this closely and testing in a sequence that matches it. I would try to eliminate any scaling or interpetation of the footage by PR until I know what I have. DVD had its standards, but there are the oddball versions. At first I assume you were working with the DVD file, but I see it is "an export that was used for a DVD release."

I prefer working in the native resolution and only at the end modifying for the delivery specs. There are exceptions.

Here, the HUGE challenge is going to be the upscaling to HD. What is the delivery actually? Youtube? Etc. There are some threads discussing use of the Topaz Video Enhancer. In my tests, it produced much better results.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines