• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Aspect ratio

Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're doing a gaming podcast using phones, tablets and OBS.   For the last 4 videos I was able to export to 1920 x 1080.   This time when I'm exporting, there's black bars on the sides, and I'm seeing that the aspect ratio is only 1652 wide.   

I changed nothing from the previous 4 videos.   

Now I have completely finished editing the videos, multicam, effects, everything, on the best video we have ever done, uploaded to YouTube, only to be horribly horribly disappointed by the black bars at the side that have randomly appeared without reason.   

Can somebody explain to me why the black bars appeared, and what I must do to remove them?

TOPICS
Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are not clairvoyant so post screenshot sequence settings, export settings, clip properties.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I changed the aspect ratio of the sequence to 1920 x 1080, and now I see the video is 1920 x 1080, with the videos all still having 1652 wide dimension.  

The whole thing is multicam, sliced and diced.   I can zoom in on each individual multicam clip and zoom it in, but I can't select multiple clips and zoom them in.  

Is there a convenient way to do this, or do I have to select each clip?   Or should I re-edit this video, and forever wonder why the aspect ratio is 1652 wide?  I've been working on this for a couple of days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want help do what I asked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have uploaded the screenshots, thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

basically just looking to remove the black bars at the side.   I changed the aspect ratio in the 'Sequence Settings' (saved a copy of the project first), and now am wondering how to zoom in the whol lot of multicam clips easily.  Quality isn't much of an issue, but the bars on the side obviously shouldn't be there

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

anyway, I found the adjustment layer, and zoomed it in from there.    I have nested face shots ontop of screen shots for the gameplay inside the multicam sequence, and zooming it in put the face somewhat off screen, which is ok because the face would have taken up too much space with the zoom anyway, and plus extracting the 1000s of multicam clips, and then extracting the nested face/screen shots (3 of them), to adjust the position of the face clips would have melted my computer, and probably even isn't possible.

What I need to focus on now is why the sequence went to 1652 wide.   It must be the aspect ratio of the first clip I insert?  And the reason why the other 4 videos automatically went to 1920 is because the first video I inserted was 1920?   This is the only feasible explanation I can think off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your nests are 1652. Is the gameplay or face recorded in 1652x1080?

Must have triggered the sequence settings without you paying attention and just hitting OK. Does happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok thank you.  Everything was 16:9 per usual.   Did everything the same as the last 4 videos.   If anything I did randomly changed the aspect ratio, seems like something that could use a warning.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere does not randomly change resolution.

It's usually something the user did or did not do...........

AnnBens_0-1655315122240.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann, that was while I was trying to salvage the video, and was enlarging the clips to fit the screen.  Please see latest question below (once I post it)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave,

Ann said "Your nests are 1652. Is the gameplay or face recorded in 1652x1080?"

You said, "Everything was 16:9 per usual. Did everything the same as the last 4 videos."

I don't know OBS, but in Camtasia, there is the screen capture with its resolution, and the web cam (face shot) which may be HD when full frame, but the face shot default is small/right or whatever. And if you move/crop that frame, it changes the pixel size that will export. In any event, in the exported streams, unless it is changed to be max size before export, it is NOT HD. You should look at the pixel size of those face shots to see what they are.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stan, thanks.   So I'm redoing the entire project, because it looked too wrong after trying to salvage it.

So I'm here at the beginning again. 

The face/room vids are made on phones and tablets with 16:9 setting.   The screenshots are made on 2 macs and a pc.   The screenshots are made on 2 macs and a pc.    I make a multicam sequence out of all the vids and the master audio files (the sequence setting says 1280 x 720, as you can see on the screenshot... It also says this is 16:9, but not full hd?   I'm a musician, I don't know video but I'm exuberantly happy to learn the extremely hard way).    Once they're all synced up with the multicam, I double click the multicam sequence to show all the videos.  I then notice that both the mac screenshot vids are smaller than the framesize, so I right click them and "scale to frame size".  Also their respective face vids also oddly and coincidentally require scaling (but not the other phone, or the two room tablet vids, or the pc screenshot).  Then I copy each face vid and put the copy on top of their respective screen shots, reduce their size until they're just in the corner, then nest the face/screenshot vids.    Once I have the 3 face/screenshots nested, I nest the whole bunch, and turn on multicam to edit the vid.    Then I turn on the proxies, which show a squished version of all the videos, which I don't mind because I know everything is in it's right place.

Except for the last time, in which the aspect ratio switched to some weird ratio on its own, requiring me to restart the project.

2022-06-15 (4).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All the vids were made at 1920x1080, but yet this multicam sequence defaults to 720p, please advise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it looks like handbrake rendered the one constant frame rate transcode to 1652x1080.   This is funny, as I always use the handbrake preset of fast 1080p.   The original is 1920x1080.   So I'm redoing the transcode to see what it gives me this time.   Seems unfortunate I have to add that to things I have to check.   The other two phone face videos are 720p, which is odd because they should be recording at 1080p.    Why even bother having the option of recording at 720p?  They are much better phones than the one that recorded at 1080p.

Whatev.    This is like the 4th time I've been a n00b in 5 years.

So after I make the multicam sequence and it says that it's 720p, is that fine?    I'll just export out at 1080p.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Warren Heaton , just figured this out, screenshot pending

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I can go through, individually double click each multicam clip, go to effects, and scale it from 100 to 118.   Judging by the amount of clips in the multicam sequence, this way will probably take me 9 or 10 hours.   It's quite tedious because my computer sucks, and I'm doing it without proxies on, which also have an odd aspect ratio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2022-06-15.png2022-06-15 (1).png2022-06-15 (2).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Dave_DIR 

Take a screenshot of your Project tab or Bin tab while expanded such that the Video Info column is visible and post that.

WarrenHeaton_0-1655334630408.png

It's hard to tell, but it looks like your source screen recordings may somehow be cropped to 1652x1080.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it looks like handbrake went crazy.

2022-06-15 (5).png

why is the 1080p handbrake preset set to 1652?  Is this normal?

2022-06-15 (6).png

so basically I have to restart the entire thing, because this time handbrake is rendering something weird.  transcode all videos, then make new proxies.  

now THAT'S an inconvenience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... handbrake always reverts back to 1652.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Dave_DIR wrote:

... handbrake always reverts back to 1652.

Sounds like a question for https://forum.handbrake.fr.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 16, 2022 Jun 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

AnnBens_0-1655379977099.png

If you set this to custom: all cropping set to 0 it will stay 1920x1080.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try Shutter Encoder instead of Handbrake.

https://www.shutterencoder.com/en/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Handbrake, even though the Cropping is set to Automatic, you can see that it is cropping 268 pixels from the right. That's the difference. 1920 - 268 = 1652.

And since it is not doing it every time, you end up with videos imported to PR in odd sizes, and sequences also.

Yes, I feel your pain just thinking about it.

And no, you don't want to work with 720 and then upscale if your source is really 1080.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines