• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Audio cutting out in Premiere - it's killing me.

Explorer ,
Mar 20, 2019 Mar 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this problem has seemed to have ramped up over the past month or so and it's getting increasingly difficult to edit.  I've tons of searching, and there seem to be a lot of people having similar issues - but all have different possible causes.  I'm trying to edit interviews, and basically I can't work.  Some of the obvious questions I know I'll get:

Was happening on the last version of 2018, and I'm now on 2019 - 13.0.3.

System:

I'm on a Mac Trashcan - I know it's getting up there in age, but it's handling the video fine - it's just the audio cutting out.

3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5

64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3

AMD FirePro D700 6 GB

I've had this happen on multiple projects, with multiple types of media and multiple hard drives.  (Predominately Lacie Rugged which we've always used).

In this case files are 4K MXF - although I have proxies attached which seems to have exasperated the audio situation.  Although I rarely have needed to use proxies, so my other projects had problems using the original footage.

I always make my sequences from the clip, so matching settings should not be an issue - except iI guess potentially in this case where I have proxies attached.

I've cleared my cache, I've upped my buffer size to the max, and made sure my sample rate matches. 

I've been editing over 25 years, linear tape to tape, Avid, and I've been using Premiere since 2012 and CS6, and I've never been more frustrated. 

Anyone else?

Bug Unresolved

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
78 Comments
New Here ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We use a QNAP server and video/audio plays fine EXCEPT the stuff recorded with our ATMOS SHOGUN INFERNO. But it is recording at 48hz and our sequences match and still the audio cuts out. Telling me to transcode is not a solution.
That we have no solution to this is troubling. It is runing my editing experience, my day, and my job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I've upped my buffer size to the max"   Where do you do this??

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WOW. I finally fixed it.

Holy s**t this was bothering me for so long. I tried everything I could find on every thread/youtube video discussing this.

Just now, for no reason other than wanting to see how it looked I switched my preview codec to the same as my media codec (from ProRes 422 LT to ProRes 422 HQ) and suddenly the audio stopped cutting out.

Good god. What a nightmare.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope! Nvm, didn't fix anything. It breifly worked.

Sigh....

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue seems to linger and linger. I have transcoded all of my H.265 Files from my Fuji XT4 to ProRes 422 LT - Normally there is no issue. However, if I start to layer Audio (i.e Voiceover, and original clip audio or added audio files) it starts to drop my audio every few seconds, so I have to continually hit play over and over. This is obviously ridiculous. Is there a bug fix for this yet?? I can't transcode all my files to some lower res codec to get my audio to playback. 

Adobe... Fix this already! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any updates that you haven't started on your computer or for Adobe?

This issue seems to linger and linger. I have transcoded all of my H.265 Files from my Fuji XT4 to ProRes 422 LT - Normally there is no issue. However, if I start to layer Audio (i.e Voiceover, and original clip audio or added audio files) it starts to drop my audio every few seconds, so I have to continually hit play over and over. This is obviously ridiculous. Is there a bug fix for this yet?? I can't transcode all my files to some lower res codec to get my audio to playback. 

Adobe... Fix this already! 

By @RobbieMaynardCreates

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By server I meant my works drive. Bad choice of words.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2021 Sep 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Render and replace the video is what worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's now 2022 and I'm having this same exact issue on a brand new custom built PC with and thread ripper cpu and 3090 gpu. In researching the problem i'm seeing forums clear back from 2014 complaining about this issue. It's absolutely unacceptable and OP is correct that the program is broken. I've had many Premiere issues over the last 10 years of editing but this is now unusable. My editor friends have been complaining about this issue for some time as well, all on different computers. I suspect your claim that "the vast majority of users" don't have this issue is far from true. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, first, you've got total sympathy. When things are screwing up like this, it's painful. We've all been there with one thing or another.

That said, I am noting that your comment is a reply to a two year old post, and I've not had any since ... it's not that everyone is having the issue. I haven't had anything like it, period. Nor have most users or there'd be a lot more posts on here about it ... newer posts and threads.

It sounds to me like it's some sort of issue where the particular media and the OS and onboard audio and Premiere aren't getting all their communications straight. Some users have been able to simply t-code because only one codec caused a problem for them.

Some users have found that having a separate sound card ... with all the crud it had installed on the systme as "drivers" ... was the culprit. Uninstall the sound card & all it's stuff, their Premiere audio was totally fine.

A few have issues like this while they have other audio players working on their system. Such as one who always has Spotify or something playing while he was editing ... and the two were competing for audio resources. That doesn't typically end well.

And as always, the first thing to do with audio issues in Premiere is go to the Preferences, and set the default audio input as "None". Weird as that sounds.

So it can probably be one of many different things, and a total joy to troubleshoot for.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem with a new computer. You can call and they will screen share and fix the problem. 

(800) 833-6687

I guess a bunch of settings were off, and now it works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working in Premeire Pro 2022. Same issue with audio cutting in and out in the sequence. PP defaults the project audio format to 48000 HZ - 32 bit flaoting point - stereo. 

Right-click on your audio clip within your sequence and choose Properties to see your clip and the project defaults.

My source audio is recorded at 48000 HZ - 24 bit - stereo. It will play no problem when editing with 1080p footage, but if I'm working in 4k, then the audio cuts out in the sequence (and also the preview window). I believe its a buffering issue since the source audio does not match the project default format. So to fix the problem I convert my audio files to 32 bit floating point. its actually really easy to do...

Simply right-click on your audio clip in your sequence and choose "Edit Clip in Adobe Audition" and Audition will create an audio file that's set to 32 bit floating point, automatically replace the clip in the sequence, and add it to your project (the resulting file name will include "Audio Extracted"). At that point the audio should play fine. (you can confirm this by doing a SAVE AS in Audition and checking it's default settings)

To keep your files organized, I recommend going into Premeire preferences  (EDIT > PREFERENCES > AUDIO), and ticking the box that says to render Edit in Audition files to: "Next to original media files".

As for changing Premeire's default audio format... I haven't found where to make that happen. Sequence settings only allows you to choose a Sample rate, but not the bitrate. 

Hope this helps.

-James

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 08, 2022 Apr 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did that work out? I'm having a nightmare editing ProRes on my PC right now, which is weird because this is the same format, computer, and workflow I've been using for 5 or 6 years now and this problem only just got unbearable today. Is Resolve awesome?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try your project settings. For me I had to switch to software only in the
general tab.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe may have fixed this, but try turning off any EQ on the audio. There was a glitch years ago where the EQ under Essential Sound was somehow causing cuts points to pull in a tiny sample of audio from the very start of the video (which for most people was a bit of silence).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, that didn't work unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately there's no EQ on this audio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My first go to move when Premiere is having playback issues, is to delete my cache under "edit/preferences/media cache". As I've seen all kinds of screwy behavior because ot the cache, especially in After Effects. 

After that, I'll clear out some of my unsused essential graphics templates... as for some reason having a healthy amount available and not even being used, will cause Premiere to perform really poorly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, those fixes didn't work either. The worst part is, I've been editing videos on this exact computer in this exact format for years, and this only became a problem recently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2022 May 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently having this issue, much appreciation to everyone who has been tracking this issue and developing their own workarounds. I am currently dealing with this myself and have not found any of the documented solutions to have worked so I would love to have some sort of answer from Adobe on what is going wrong! This has been an extreme frustration for days for me. The only thing that I thought worked was restarting my computer but the issue is back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 29, 2022 May 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been watching this over the last couple years. It's yes, very frustrating. Even for those like me that haven't had this.

The 'fixes' have tended to be somewhat different per user, which is super frustrating. It's been so difficult to nail what's happening for any particular user. And with so many different scenarios, those of us volunteers out here are pretty much limited in how much help we can provide.

And trying to work with this would be so freaking infuriating.

@mattchristensen  ... another user with this. Got any ideas?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem as well. It's a timeline with MXF files (believe from an FS7), 4 audio tracks in the MXF file, playing from an external hard drive. This is a massive documentary project shot by another team, it took my 6 months just to sync and log everything. Now I'm finding out that it's totally uneditable, transcoding really isn't an option in my case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 25, 2022 Sep 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just in case anyone cares, I am also using a Custom Built PC and am still having this issue that many people here are describing. I am working off of proxy files. I have set audio input to none. But still I get about 4 seconds of audio before it cuts out. Now, if I toggle my video off, the audio plays back smoothly. But considering this is supposed to be professional software, that solution does not help me in the long run. Sorry but I do agree that the issue here is within the Adobe Premiere program itself and the onus is on Adobe to figure this out. You say more people would report this issue...not everyone has the energy or care to report things on forums. But it's pretty clear there are enough people here over many years that are having this same issue. Adobe you need to step it up and take some responsibility

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 26, 2022 Sep 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, as noted, you have total sympathy.

But like the vast majority of users, I can't replicate this, and for the times I've been aware of this kind of thing for other users, there have been A TON of different things that fixed it.

So it's clearly not "one" thing to fix. It can be caused by several things that when changed on the local computer, the problem stops happening. And yes, that is maddening when you're the one getting hammered.

And it's also very frustrating for the devs and us 'volunteers' because we can't really know what to say, other than offer a list of things to try.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 30, 2022 Nov 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sympathy doesn't fix the problem. I've been having this problem for years and have only upgraded my equipment along the way. 

I already partly use Davinci and am seriously considering a full transition to it; especially after the price hikes last year. Get it together Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate