Audio cutting out in Premiere - it's killing me.

Explorer ,
Mar 20, 2019 Mar 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this problem has seemed to have ramped up over the past month or so and it's getting increasingly difficult to edit.  I've tons of searching, and there seem to be a lot of people having similar issues - but all have different possible causes.  I'm trying to edit interviews, and basically I can't work.  Some of the obvious questions I know I'll get:

Was happening on the last version of 2018, and I'm now on 2019 - 13.0.3.

System:

I'm on a Mac Trashcan - I know it's getting up there in age, but it's handling the video fine - it's just the audio cutting out.

3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5

64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3

AMD FirePro D700 6 GB

I've had this happen on multiple projects, with multiple types of media and multiple hard drives.  (Predominately Lacie Rugged which we've always used).

In this case files are 4K MXF - although I have proxies attached which seems to have exasperated the audio situation.  Although I rarely have needed to use proxies, so my other projects had problems using the original footage.

I always make my sequences from the clip, so matching settings should not be an issue - except iI guess potentially in this case where I have proxies attached.

I've cleared my cache, I've upped my buffer size to the max, and made sure my sample rate matches. 

I've been editing over 25 years, linear tape to tape, Avid, and I've been using Premiere since 2012 and CS6, and I've never been more frustrated. 

Anyone else?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jun 10, 2019 Jun 10, 2019
Sorry I didn't get back here sooner, as I managed a work around and life goes on.  Based off the issues I have had and others I know have had - this problem affects audio playback, morph cuts and a range of performance problems.  Commonalities seem to be mov and mxf files in CC2019 on older Macs 2013 trashcan etc, but some also on last round of imacs.  In every instance, transcoding the original footage to high quality mp4s got us through the job.  I've since gotten a brand new imac and am not e...

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2020 Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a longshot, but there is a problem with the EQ tool in Premeire (or in Essential Sound). Say you're using multicam and you drill down to the underlying audio file and apply some EQ to it. Then when you start making cuts in the multicam, the glitch will grab whatever is at the start of your underlying audio and insert it at the cut. So, if you were using EQ with an audio file that didn't have any sound at the very beginning, you'd get a frame of silence at each cut.

One work around to this, render out the audio with the EQ on and bring it back in and replace the original audio. I'm just doing all my audio cleanup in Audition first, and then editing my videos, but not everybody has both.

Again a longshot, but if it isn't your problem, maybe if will help somebody else.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2020 Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I struggled with the issue too and this was my fix:

Premiere Pro > Preferences > Media Cache

1. Under Media Cache Files;

• tick the box on to save .cfa and .pek files next to original media. 
  • hit browse so that it re-routes storage of these files next to source, and navigate there if need be (mine defaulted to the right place).
  • delete media cache to clean up any old space.

2. Under Media Cache Database;

• hit browse so that it re-routes storage of these files next to source, and navigate there if need be (mine defaulted to the right place).

3. Restart Premiere

This worked for me, by surprise. Hope it works for you!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2020 Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

False excitement - Adobe is back to its old ways after teasing me for a solid minute. Nothing like going through heaps of interviews a couple seconds at a time. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I've upped my buffer size to the max"   Where do you do this??

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WOW. I finally fixed it.

Holy s**t this was bothering me for so long. I tried everything I could find on every thread/youtube video discussing this.

Just now, for no reason other than wanting to see how it looked I switched my preview codec to the same as my media codec (from ProRes 422 LT to ProRes 422 HQ) and suddenly the audio stopped cutting out.

Good god. What a nightmare.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope! Nvm, didn't fix anything. It breifly worked.

Sigh....

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue seems to linger and linger. I have transcoded all of my H.265 Files from my Fuji XT4 to ProRes 422 LT - Normally there is no issue. However, if I start to layer Audio (i.e Voiceover, and original clip audio or added audio files) it starts to drop my audio every few seconds, so I have to continually hit play over and over. This is obviously ridiculous. Is there a bug fix for this yet?? I can't transcode all my files to some lower res codec to get my audio to playback. 

Adobe... Fix this already! 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any updates that you haven't started on your computer or for Adobe?

This issue seems to linger and linger. I have transcoded all of my H.265 Files from my Fuji XT4 to ProRes 422 LT - Normally there is no issue. However, if I start to layer Audio (i.e Voiceover, and original clip audio or added audio files) it starts to drop my audio every few seconds, so I have to continually hit play over and over. This is obviously ridiculous. Is there a bug fix for this yet?? I can't transcode all my files to some lower res codec to get my audio to playback. 

Adobe... Fix this already! 

By @robbiem75458375

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2021 Sep 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Render and replace the video is what worked for me.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines