Audio Dropping Out After 2-3 Seconds in Premiere Pro 2022

Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2022 May 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not the first person to identify this issue, as far as I can tell, this issue has been going on since 2013. In my specific instance, the audio is fully there in the clip and will play for 2-5 seconds, then start when playback is stopped and started again. Audio cuts and is no longer displayed on the audio meter either when it goes out so Premiere is not reading the information from the track.

 

Computer: Lenovo Thinkpad P51 running Windows 11

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80 GhZ, 4 Cores

GPU: NVidia Quadro M1200

RAM: 32 GB

Project Running off of: WD EasyStore 5TB drive, 5400 RPM

Sequence Settings: 24FPS, 4096x2304, 48000 Hz audio sample rate, preview file format is ProRes 4444. Footage proxies are in 1920x1080p H264 codec. Footage is 24FPS, audio is 48000 Hz sample rate, the only visible difference to me is the bitrate which I address below.

 

The odd thing is this is only happening with my sequences that have 5 or 6 audio tracks and not with my sequence that only has 4. It seems to me from this data point that the issue should neither be my RAM, nor the drive, if it's capable of playing this footage otherwise. The only other difference between those sequences is that the audio of the sequence that works is in a 96000 Hz sample rate, which the sequence is not, and the other two are in a 48000 Hz sample rate, which the sequence is in.  My co-editor, synced up all the footage and audio on his drive, which is the exact same model as mine, though he edits with an iMac (with 16 GB RAM) and said this issue was not happening to him and again, it plays fine on one of the three sequences so the issue I don't think should really be memory or read/write speed. I don't think it should be an issue with the project file being worked on/created in Mac and being worked on in Windows but that could be it.

 

Solutions I have tried to no avail:

-Clearing media cache of all cached media, not just unused media

-Switching from CUDA to OpenCL

-Switching audio hardware device class from MME to ASIO

-Raising RAM reserved for Adobe Suite to 29 GB, leaving 3 for anything else

-Switching optimize rendering from performance to memory

-Duplicating sequences

-Copying and pasting footage from one sequence to another

-Importing a sequence from this current file to another file

-Rendering audio (footage is rendered already)

-Rendering and replacing audio, as well as editing clip in audition to change the bitrate from 24 to the sequence's 32 bit floating point

-Muting tracks, disabling tracks, soloing tracks

-Toggling proxies on and off

-Restarting my computer

 

Restarting my computer once was the only thing that seemed to make any impact but it only worked the one time and now every other time, it performs the exact same way. Haven't yet tried re-proxying the entire project into a different codec or converting the audio to a different file format, or giving up and moving over to Davinci, which I might have to do if there are no solutions for this problem. Much appreciation to all those who came before and worked out their own solutions for this problem, I'm really lost here and incredibly frustrated. I'm luckily not on a tight schedule for a client with this project but there are tons of folks who are and this issue has been going on since at least 2013, this problem should've been solved already and I shouldn't have had to burn a whole day on this.

TOPICS
Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Performance

Views

68

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 30, 2022 May 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

generally media drives should be 7200 rpm or even better a SSD.    and "preview file format is ProRes 4444". that's a really drive intensive format...  prores proxy or prores lt are much better choices and you might do better with a video format that's native to windows...  and make sure your audio files are uncompressed...

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 30, 2022 May 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Project Running off of: WD EasyStore 5TB drive, 5400 RPM

That is most likely your culprit.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2022 May 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Idiosyncratically, I created an XML of the timeline and exported it to Davinci and it worked for a bit of time trying on my co-editor's drive, which again is the exact same drive as mine but once I tried to replicate that process with mine, it didn't work. I'd be willing to believe that that is the problem if not for the fact that it's working on the other computer just fine and again, one of the sequences with the exact same footage and proxy type also works fine, it's just these two sequences with which I'm having a problem and the problem only seems to happen on my computer. I did also try to revert my Premiere version to the previous version and that didn not solve the issue either.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines