Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Audio drops while playing a Multi-Cam sequence

Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everybody!

I'm having issues with audio playback for multicam sequences. My issues are consistent with the OP on this thread: https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/audio-dropping-out-during-playback-in-timeli... It seems like several people encountered the same issue, and several people were confusing it with different issues entirely.

The Issue: I have a 4K multicam sequence with two video tracks and three audio channels. The sequence plays back fine in the regular single camera viewer, but when I switch to the multicam viewer the audio plays for about 15 sec and then drops out. After placing the multicam cuts, I can go back to the regualr project viewer (single cam) and everything will play fine. I have been able to duplicate this on another PC with similar specs.

Here are my PC specs:

Premiere version 22.2.0 Build 128

Windows 11 Version 10.0.22000 Build 22000

Ryzen 3700X

RTX 2080

128GB RAM

System disk 2 x 1TB NVMe 

All the media and poject files are hosted on a TrueNAS array over a 1GBe connection and the cache is set to my system's NVMe drive. The NAS is fast enough to saturate the connection. In the previous thread there was some discussion that hosting the media and poject file on a local disk might fix the issue, but it didn't end up fixing the issue. I have also tried MME and ASIO audio interfaces with no luck.

Thanks for your help!

TOPICS
Audio , Editing , Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Hey Kevin,

Thanks for the quick reply! I apologize for the delay in getting back to you. We just finished filming a new batch of videos so I tried editing from a few different drives while monitoring the bandwidth. It turns out the NAS connection was saturating when there were two users online 😛 Sorry, that's really the first thing I should've checked for. I guess I didn't expect it to be a bandwidth issue because the video was still playing smoothly. I share your mistrust of off the shelf NAS

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for creating a new post, DeBry Studios, so we can address your issue with current hardware and software. That post was from 2013! That said, even old issues can persist, so I hope we can get to the bottom of the issue and see where the faulty issue lies and then fix it. Your issues:

• Your sequence: Contains 2 streams of H.264 at 4K and 3 audio tracks. We do not know what flavor of H.264 you are operating with, its frame rate, whether it is constant frame rate or variable frame rate or which camera the video came from. Can you provide more details? Can you provide a screenshot of the sample media run through freeware MediaInfo in Tree view so we can inspect that video?
  • Performance: Your audio drops out on playback.
    • This is referred to as "audio underrun."
    • The data stream is being interrupted for some reason and that is the thing that should be studied most intensely.
    • It's usually related to the media being too heavy for your given machine.
    • Keep in mind that AMD CPUs do not containg Intel Quick Sync and relies on your GPU for decoding.
    • You must make sure then, that your GPU is performing to spec with current drivers.
    • The Mercury Playback Engine must be engaged in Project Settings under General > Renderer.
  • Your computer and version of Premiere Pro:

Premiere version 22.2.0 Build 128

Windows 11 Version 10.0.22000 Build 22000

Ryzen 3700X

RTX 2080

128GB RAM

System disk 2 x 1TB NVMe

•  

Throughput: Your system seems capable of being able to play this back, especially if the media and media cache are on a second high-speed local drive.

All the media and poject files are hosted on a TrueNAS array over a 1GBe connection and the cache is set to my system's NVMe drive. The NAS is fast enough to saturate the connection. 

As an experienced video editor, I do not trust NAS storage whatsoever (unless Bob Zelin installed it!). The only thing it is worth using it in a reliable scenario is for backup. I only trust SANs and NAS system that are certified by video integrators. Standard off the shelf units are not always reliable, even though you think they should be able handle the job. Video streams are incredibly fickle and NLEs are built to be reliable for local storage only. You really have to tune it to make it sing. I would take the NAS completely out of the chain while you are troubleshooting, and then add it back in once you find a solution.

In the previous thread there was some discussion that hosting the media and poject file on a local disk might fix the issue, but it didn't end up fixing the issue. I have also tried MME and ASIO audio interfaces with no luck.

Great. Let's leave it that way as we troubleshoot.

I would now ask if you have done the standard troubleshooting steps, such as testing with proxy files, deleting media cache with all projects closed (from Preferences) and resetting preferences. I would also verify that your audio sample clip settings match sequence settings precisely. Finally, I would recommend rendering audio files to a separate disk other than your boot drive.

Let us know if you have tried these things and give us the results. Hope we can assist!

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Kevin,

Thanks for the quick reply! I apologize for the delay in getting back to you. We just finished filming a new batch of videos so I tried editing from a few different drives while monitoring the bandwidth. It turns out the NAS connection was saturating when there were two users online 😛 Sorry, that's really the first thing I should've checked for. I guess I didn't expect it to be a bandwidth issue because the video was still playing smoothly. I share your mistrust of off the shelf NAS systems 🙂 Fortuanately, we built the system from the ground up for specifically for video editing and we had already planned to upgrade to 10Gbe cards. Sorry to have wasted your time

Thanks for all of your time and effort!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yay!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines