• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Audio/Video Out of Sync

Participant ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used my Nikon Z7 to record video and audio.  I use a rode video mic pro plugged into the side of the camera to feed the audio, and I used a "cam link" cable to feed the resulting signal to my mac.  I recorded using Quicktime.  The videos play perfect in Quicktime, but when I import them into my project the video/audio is out of sync by approximately 5 frames.

I unlink them, manually sync them, trim them and then link them back and of course I get the red/white icons showing +5/-5.

I don't know if this makes any difference, I am relatively new to all of this but, the project is 1080p at 23.967 fps and the video from the camera is at 4k, so I use "set frame size" for downscaling.  Additionally the imports from quicktime show a frame rate of 23.97 so I selected them and did modify > interpret footage > assume this frame rate 23.976.

I think I'm lost at this point 

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tim,

How are you, sir? Thanks for the question. Hope I can assist.

First: Are you using File > Import for these files? No? You seem to indicate that you are live capturing these files. You are not doing that are you? If that's what you're attempting, I don't think you'll be successful. It is far better to record directly to the camera, then import those files after recording. You probably need a video capture card interface to do anything similar to what you are trying now.

If I were you, I'd record those clips into my camera. Then, I'd import the files. They should be in sync. Please let us know how it is going once you try these things.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks kevin,

this is what I am doing, and this has worked for me before without any major issues.

I have my external mic plugged into my camera.  Then my camera feeds Quicktime via a video capture card.  Then I take my files and drag them into the project panel of premier.

even now when I sync them manually, trim the clips to match, choose sync (start of clip) and relink them they are still showing the -5/+5 red/white icons, yet audio and video are matched up.

tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To clarify I am using a "cam link" brand video capture card.

What has me the most confused is why am I still getting the red/white warnings after I have manually syncd them

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Additionally, why are they playing perfectly in Quicktime, but when imported into Premier, they are getting out of sync.

If I have to record into my Z7, then import from there, that causes 3 times more work from something that should be so simple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Your workflow is a little different to me than what I'm used to. Sorry, I've never seen anyone capturing to QuickTime Player.

I don't have the specs for your card.  I imagine if you are capturing 4K files, you need very fast drives to make sure you are capturing in sync. Not sure since I have little info. It sounds like you don't need to capture 4K, you want HD. Those files would be easier to capture for A/V sync, I imagine. You might try capturing at that resolution rather than 4K, which you are not needing, it sounds like.

As for the file, if you run the file through Media Info in Tree View, what is the result? You can attach a screenshot here.

I'm still wondering why you don't simply record to your camera and then import the files. Sorry if I'm not understanding as simple import would be less trouble much faster and with lower storage needs.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kevin,

I am capturing 1080p, wouldn't the audio and the video come out of the camera "in sync", hence that is why quicktime is playing it in sync? Where it is losing sync is when I drag the file from "finder" into my project window and using it in Premiere.

From my camera is a single cord, that goes through the capture card (https://www.elgato.com/en/cam-link-4k) into my MacBook pro (2.9ghz 6 core i9) with an SSD.  So I think everything is fast enough, but still, if quicktime captures and plays it back "in sync", they whey is it out of sync in Premiere?

The reason I am doing it this way is shown in the image below.  The camera is facing me and using quicktime, I use a keyboard shortcut for a new clip capture, then the mouse to start/stop the capture.  If I do this all to the camera, I have to spin the camera around each time I capture a clip to (watch the clip, delete a clip, and if I do that, it is absolutely impossible to make sure each scene is aligned properly, so I don't touch the camera to prevent this).  So in this scenario that option is out of the question.  I am just using my camera to feed video and audio to the computer.

I did figure out that if I unlink the video, manually sync the audio, trim both video and audio clips to same length, group them, then select "synchronize", I don't get the red/white -5/+5 boxes anymore.

tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

current setup

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines