• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Auto caption/subtitle duration too long (non English)

Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2022 Jun 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Situation: I've got hours of Japanese footage to transcribe. Using the captions tool, the auto transcribe for Japanese is decent. Transcribes as you would think. 

Problem: When creating captions on the timeline, a character will say a few words, then stop. For the next few minutes, until someone else speaks, the caption will stay on instead of cutting off at a max length. I refuse to go through hours of footage trimming the subtitles if this isn't a problem in English captions. 
move already taken this up with Adobe and they said it happens in Spanish too. They know the problem and it's been many months and updates with no fix. 

My suggested solution: adding "max duration" to the setting. They already have "minimum duration" but no max. So wtf?

Anyone else have this issue or have a solution? Any work arounds are welcome. I tried turning the captions into graphic text so that I can set the video to a max duration, but to no avail. There's no setting for setting duration length, especially not for multiple. 

min the attached example, the subtitle is 40 seconds like. That's not right. 

please help. It's been months. 

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles , Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jun 25, 2022 Jun 25, 2022

I don't know where to find the bug report. 

So when I was looking around for Subtitle Edit, I was only given the windows version in my searches. When I looked for the mac one, I did find it, but it's a different developer. 

For anyone who is looking at this post, it does work. You can also test it for a 7 day free trial, but it's called Subtitle Studio. http://thekeptpromise.com/SubtitleStudio/

Thanks for your help Stan! Now Adobe just needs to get on this and fix it. I shouldn't have to use a thir

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a UserVoice bug report? Post a link if you have one.

A possible workaround is to export srt and change the max duration in Subtitle Edit.

Then reimport the modified srt and adjust the timings.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know where to find the bug report. 

So when I was looking around for Subtitle Edit, I was only given the windows version in my searches. When I looked for the mac one, I did find it, but it's a different developer. 

For anyone who is looking at this post, it does work. You can also test it for a 7 day free trial, but it's called Subtitle Studio. http://thekeptpromise.com/SubtitleStudio/

Thanks for your help Stan! Now Adobe just needs to get on this and fix it. I shouldn't have to use a third-party app for this minor thing. Especially if I have to pay for it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 26, 2022 Jun 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for providing that information on a Mac option.

UserVoice for PR is here:

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

It is not easy to search. I do  not see a bug report for this issue. If you post one, please put the link here so others can upvote it.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 26, 2023 Dec 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

2024, subtitles still stay on screen with no max option.  Amazing this isn't corrected or spoke about more.  I guess everyone likes doing tedious corrections on something SO EASY to fix.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines