• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Auto match loudness problem when cutting dialogue

Explorer ,
Feb 21, 2023 Feb 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently working on a documentary feature, and decided to use auto match loudness for all the talking heads. Which seemd to be a quick solution for the edit. However, once I start cutting dialogue, and end up with short clips of only a couple of words - or a single word - it will boost the volume so it becomes extremely loud on these bits.

Before I go any further down this path, I was hoping someone might know if this is a bug, or if this is how the 'auto match loudness' feature is designed to work?

In short, am I making a mistake trying to use it for sections of dialogue that I'll be intensely cutting. Or is there a work around for this that I'm missing?

Any thoughts appreciated.

TOPICS
Audio , Editing , Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Al,

Sorry for the issue. Could you let us know which version of Premiere Pro you're currently working with? If possible, please share a screen recording of the issue. It can help us better understand the problem. When you select the short sections of clips where the audio is problematic, is the Auto-Match button blue like the rest of the clips? Let us know. We're here to help.

Thanks,

Ishan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 24, 2023 Feb 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ishan,

Its v. 22.6.2.

Here's a example of a clip from some dialogue - I think it's just one  or two words.

Since cutting the dialogue up, I've had to manually reduce the level of this clip by -5db to bring it back down to where it was before editing. I've found this on multiple pieces where I've done some intensive cutting. 

The screen grabs show the clip in the sequence selected and the audio window with that clip selected. The audio sjows it blue 'auto matched' to a loudness of -23 LUFS the same as everything else.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 02, 2023 Mar 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ishan,

Any thoughts on this?

Would be good to know if this a bug, or if this is simply the way this feature is designed to work before I spend several days redoing all of the audio on this project.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 04, 2023 Mar 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the info. I tried reproducing the issue on my end but had no luck. Could you use the Loudness Radar to check the loudness of those clips relative to the rest of the sequence? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 04, 2023 Mar 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will do. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2023 May 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue and its driving me insane.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2023 Jun 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue - short clips becoming too loud when auto matched with the rest of the dialogue. Are there any cutting best practices here for using auto match loudness? For example, I've figured out you can't have clips in the timeliens with recorded 'silence' only which has some noise - this will become extremely loud when auto matched. Anything else to be mindful of? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2023 Aug 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The same issue is happening for me. Lots of short cuts of well recorded, decently leveled audio. When I apply Loudness Auto-Match for those tagged as dialogue, it doesn't set it to -23 LUFS as expected, but instead boosts the clip volume, often to the point of clipping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines