• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Autosave won't remain in the background

Explorer ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time Premiere autosaves, it pushes the app workspace in the foreground, overtaking whatever I'm watching or keystroking. Is this a bug or a feature? I'm interrupted every 15 minutes by this routine, which is compelling evidence for disabling the autosave.

TOPICS
Error or problem , Performance , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Autosave does not run in the background. So yes you will have to stop every 15 minutes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2021 Sep 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann, in previous versions if you had navigated into a different app or hidden Premiere, it would autosave without popping into the foreground of the OS. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly my frustration, this didn't happen in the previous version of Premiere I had installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just remember that unless you're manually saving at a regular interval, you're playing with fire.  I have my autosave set to 5 minutes and frankly, never have a problem with it.  Premiere crashes very rarely for me, maybe once a month, but it has saved my bacon a number of times.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Auto save is not that reliable. If you project goes corrupt without you knowing, so will your auto save and end up with nothing if you don't make a separate backup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gotta say I can't remember having a corrputed autosave.  Not saying it can't happen, just haven't seen it except in a few threads here.  I keep all my project files in a folder mirrored on dropbox which has worked without issues for at least a few years (and makes things much easier as I work from a few different locations, using sneakernet for my media drive).  Dropbox does maintain a number of versions although I've never checked how many versions are backed up...(just checked and with my approx $10 a month plan versions are maintained for one month).  So this seems to be a pretty foolproof plan.  Not to say I don't do a save as everyonceinawhile.  Obviously if I have a crash and Premiere restores the file and If I want to preserve the project at a certain point in time.  

If anyone sees any flaws with my workflow, please let me know...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a crash it is not uncommon for Premier not to restore the file.

Most users who come here with crashes and no auto save to fall back on don't have a back-up.

I don't trust the cloud for backups. Worse case scenario: no internet, no backup.

FAQ: When to use "Save A Copy," or "Save As," and ...  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dropbox has been totally reliabe with this workflow and since the project files are not that big, I can always set my phone up as a wifi hotspot to be able download the project file.   and If the computer is always on, dropbox will update the local file as soon as it's updated on another computer.  Believe me, I would not trust a workflow where you're actually working off a project file on a cloud based solution.  But as a backup and synching workflow this has worked great (so far...).   I also keep my project autosave folder on my media drive which I'm carrying with me, so if I don't internet access but do have my media drive, I can always access the project file that is automatically saved in the autosave folder (a feature that confused me when I first noticed it).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In previous versions, if you had hidden Premiere, it would auto save in the background and not unhide itself. Something has changed. It's killing me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi defaults3keewiwhbe1,

Welcome to the community.

What's the exact version of Premiere Pro you're using? Also, what are your system specifications (CPU, GPU, RAM, OS)?

Let us know, we're here to help.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nishu,

I havbe the exact same problem and it wasn't happening before in Premiere. I am running version 15.4.1 (Build 6). Do you hacve a solution?

Best,

Wytse

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 06, 2021 Dec 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

People, this posting was about the autosave unhiding Premiere Pro from the background. Not about whether we should be autosaving or not, or if autosave is worth it, or anything that has to do how people want to autosave. 

In previous versions, when PPro was in the background, whether in the back, or hidden, autosave would happen on time and stay hidden or in the background. Sometimes, it fails and will crash PPro while hidden or in the background. Most of the time, it works, and I can keep doing what I'm doing in other Adobe apps, or on email, or whatever, etc etc. 

Please fix this bug. It's driving us professionals with tight deadlines totally insane. 

Mac Pro 7,1

Big Sur 11.6.1

Premiere Pro 15.4.2

Can't updatte to v22 yet - on a big project and that's too much of a version jump at this time. Does anyone know if this is fixed in v22?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can confirm in v22 this is still happening (and still killing me)

MacBook Pro (M1, 2020)

Big Sur 11.5.2

Premiere Pro 22.0.0 (Build 169)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

don't remember seeing this happen.  I'll often leave premiere running in the bg while I surf or work in another program...  How large are your project files?   And where is your autosave folder?  Is it over a network attached drive?  or cloud based?  If so, try moving it to a local drive...  I always save my project in a folder on my startup drive which is automatically mirrored on dropbox (but the file is saved locally) and my autosave folder lives on my media drive which is connected directly to my computer...  And I work on both macs and windows...  I work occasionally on a 2020 13" m-1 macbook pro.  I can run a test when I'm in the studio sometime later this week.

Not sure it has any relevance, but I have my autosave interval set at 5 minutes.  For the most part I've been working on project files under 25 mbs...   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and for the most part I'm working on the latest version of premiere available today on all the computers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Autosave folder is in the same place as my project files, in it's own folder. Doesn't matter what size the project file is, it keeps happening according to your set interval. FWIW all my project files are small for short form advertising projects. And I tried moving it just now as per your suggestion, doesn't matter. It keeps unhiding itself and interrupts anything I'm doing. 

This has never happened before these more recent versions. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well probably smarter not to keep your project file and your autosave folder on the same physical drive...  Every drive will fail, not a question of if, but when and this includes SSD's. 

Just want to confirm that the drive your saving to is a local drive not connected via a network or the cloud... or to a folder that's automatically being backed up on icloud...   I'll try and do a test and see if I see the same behavior on the m-1 macbookpro when I get a moment...  Any particular program you're working in when this happens?   I know this may be happening on multiple programs, if I'm gonna do a test, might as well try it with something you're working with.    

And this may not be an adobe issue but a mac issue...  lots of things have changed in the m-1 universe...   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correction, for this big project, I have autosaves going to a fast SSD that I use for media cache. So, different locations. 

Not going to the cloud, or dropbox, drive, etc. All local. Project is on an 8 bay fast RAID. Media cache and Autosaves going to an SSD internally. 

Set for every 15 minutes, 50 versions. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happens as it's scheduled. If I changed something, didn't save, went to Google Chrome to search for something, or finder to locate audio, or adjust titles in Photoshop, etc, then autosave kicks in and unhides PPro from the background. Doesn't really matter what I'm doing, and seems to happen at random. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aaaaand, not on an M-1. On a Mac Pro 7,1 / 3.3GHz 12 core / 32GB RAM / W5700X 16GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry about the confusion.  someone earlier on this thread was talking about an m-1 mac...  So if you do a manual save (command-s) before you switch out of premiere, you don't have the issue?    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry - i'm not aware of this, but if I manually save then autosave doesn't kick off because nothings changed since last manual save right?

I think the autosave kicks off only when a change has been made but the project hasn't been saved...right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> ...if I manually save then autosave doesn't kick off because nothings changed since last manual save right?

I think the autosave kicks off only when a change has been made but the project hasn't been saved...right?

Right.

I didn't see all those other posts before I posted my previous reply!

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so if you manually save before switching out of premiere you shouldn't have the problem and if you forget...  you do which doesn't sound like that big a deal...  And yeah, I never turn off autosave but just trying to figure out how to at least workaround your issue..  Did you check to make sure it isn't saving to creative cloud in the autosave preferences?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines