• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

Banding in one clip after export premier 2022

New Here ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI,

Im working on a project file that has wierd dimensions : 9990x1080 because it will be projected on a wall of that size.  Most of the actual frame is black, but there are two regular 1920x1080 screens within the large oblong space. i know its wierd.

The opening shot fades up on a sky and during the fade, there is a lot of banding that occurs and then it goes away once the clip reaches 100%.  Any suggestions of export settings?

maybe relevant: I used key frames to color correct the clip as there was a white balance issue throughout the clip.  But i used this same methos on a clip later in the film and the export shows no noticable glitch. 

I also need to export at the highest quality possible.  

my export settings right now are screenshotted below:  any thoughts??? There is a screen grab of the shot, it doesnt look too bad but when its a moving clip, the banding is more splotchy and very noticable

Screen Shot 2022-09-14 at 1.23.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-14 at 1.24.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-14 at 1.25.05 PM.png

TOPICS
Error or problem , Export , Formats , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you really mean 9990x1080?

What is the source clip? Shot on what, format/codec/framesize?

What color work have you done to the clip?

Is there scaling going on to make that larger framesize for the export?

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI, yes thats the resolution, but as i said, its two normal 1920x1080
screens within that. hgere is a picture:
[image: Screen Shot 2022-09-14 at 3.56.49 PM.png]

so in fact, those two screens have been scaled down 69%.

The source clip is mostly of the sky with some birds and the bading only
occurs during the fade up from black. I shot on panasonic lumix s5,
1090x1080p, FPS:59.

I have done color work to even out a shifting white balance using
keyframes, but as I said, I used this method elsewhere in the film and the
glitch did not occur or at least is not noticeable.

Strangely enough, when I export this little section at a lower bitrate, the
glitch is less bad (still unacceptable) but I have target bitrate settings
at 20 and 40 now. Im not sure what to set those at.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export settings are imo a mess: resolution (never use odd numbers), aspect ratio (DV) and of course 8 bit.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you, let me know if you have any more detailed export setting advice.  I have tried numerous bit rate settings (In the new update Im not actually seeing the 8-bit option anywhere).  And I think it needs to be square pixels.  Might it have to do with the clip being scaled down to 69% within the frame...?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aspect ratio has nothing to do with scaling down a image. Its the ratio of the pixels used.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

another note is that the same glitch occurs even exporting it to a smaller 3510x1080, so i don't know if it really has to do withthat giant oblong ratio:

Screen Shot 2022-09-14 at 1.23.18 PM.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your aspect ratio is wrong: needs to be 1.0

Try a standard export setting like 1080p or UDH and CBR.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, as @R Neil Haugen has asked, "What is the source clip? Shot on what, format/codec/framesize?"

I would add the question: was it shot in 8 bit or 10 bit? If 8 bit you will struggle.

When you have fine gradients such as those in the sky, 8 bit struggles to make a smooth gradient.

H.264 doesn't really supprt 10 bit, but H.265 does.

One hack that people use is to add a slight blur to the areas that's banding or indeed a small amount of noise.

These can disguise the banding.

This has some added info: https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/10-bit-mp4/m-p/9756175

Best regards, Euan.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Euan's right on that. H.264 media is "thin' on the data from the camera ... as that compression process typically reduces the variablity between neighboring pixels (that are close in values) to reduce file size but without notable banding.

At least, you don't see it in that generation of image.

But as soon as you start pushing pixel values around ... and then export again ... that reduction of variablity of pixels becomes very obvious banding. It's a very common issue.

And yes, adding some video noise (technically, "dithering"), or a very slight blur to the area or both ... are the ways to reduce that visible banding back below noticeability.

And this as Euan notes is worse with 8-bit H.264/5 file data. But even the "10 bit" out of some cameras when encoded as H.264/5, will easily be pushed into banding for walls and skies. Again, because that method of data compression often tosses close pixel values to save space on the card.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines