• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Banding on Quicktime Prores 422 10 bit videos in Premiere not elsewhere

Explorer ,
Jun 01, 2022 Jun 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a strange issue where when bringing in 10 bit prores 422 footage into PPro 22.4.0 on a M1 Max MacBook Pro, the files show significant ugly banding with a lut applied. Footage is from a Blackmagic cinema camera 6k pro and 6k (two camera setup) shot in their "film" log mode. When playing the files back in Quicktime or in Davinci Resolve 18, no banding issues. Strangely, if I export an h264 version from quicktime and bring that re-encoded h264 into premiere... no banding. 

When exporting, the banding still exists, despite checking "maximum render quality/bit depth" and trying a host of different export codecs. It seems to me the banding is happening either on import, maybe premiere is using the wrong version of quicktime or similar? I haven't seen the banding with other codecs. In fact, on the same project I shot some blackmagic raw files in the same setup same lighitng, and no banding in premiere (of course 12 bit, but the prores should be fine).

Take a look at the the two attachments. Both are exported frames from Ppro, both with the same lut, the prores file is straight from camera, the h264 version is exported in Quicktime and brought back in and lut applied. 

Any thoughts on how to get around this banding problem?

Thanks!

---
Cinematic Video Production, 17+ Years of Excellence.
TOPICS
Editing , Formats , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Yes, I had banding in my program monitor as well. The setting can be found in Premiere Pro > Preferences > Media, it is a checkbox about Hardware Acceleration, and requires a computer restart. The setting should theoretically have no effect on ProRes footage but for some reason it does. I found this solution by reading the comment on this post, made by @Sumeet Kumar Choubey 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 04, 2022 Jun 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jamesdrakefilms,

We're sorry about the poor experience. Does it export properly from Premiere Pro if ProRes hardware accelerated encoding is disabled under Preferences > Media? Would you mind sharing a download link for the sample media with which you are experiencing this issue? It will help to diagnose the issue properly at our end.

Thanks,

Sumeet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this same problem, and it was fixed by turning of ProRes hardware accelerated encoding. I don't know why itcauses banding, but that fixed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah very interesting, how do you turn off the prores hardware encoding? Does it show banding in your program window before exporting? I have it during preview and during export 

---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What eleazer is referencing are the twin option in the user Preferences ... for hardware encoding and decoding ... for H.264/5 media. Not any "ProRes" encoding option, as there isn't one.

Those options shouldn't be affecting anything other than long-GOP H.264/5 media, but apparently, on some systems, there are problems.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I had banding in my program monitor as well. The setting can be found in Premiere Pro > Preferences > Media, it is a checkbox about Hardware Acceleration, and requires a computer restart. The setting should theoretically have no effect on ProRes footage but for some reason it does. I found this solution by reading the comment on this post, made by @Sumeet Kumar Choubey 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 20, 2023 Mar 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Round and round I went, yes it's been a long time since you posted this, but ultimately after many trials, this is absolutely the right answer for my situation every time. To recap, should anyone need this answer in the future, I am using a 2021 Macbook Pro with M1 Max and was getting terrible banding on otherwise beautiful 10bit Prores footage. My guess, based on your answer Eleazar, is that because Apple includes prores encoders/decoders on these machines that somehow the communication between PPro and these encoders is stuck somewhere with 8 bit. In Davinci Resolve, shoot even in Quicktime the 10bit files look great, but as soon as Premiere Pro brings them in, from timeline to export, I have crazy banding problems, UNTIL, turning off both Hardware encoding and Prores Encoding in the Preferences > Media settings as you brilliantly pointed out. Thank you THANK YOU for this answer, I can now rest easy knowing this one tedious issue is definitively put to bed. 

---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 04, 2022 Jun 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jarle Leirpoll did some amazing in-depth sleuthing on this issue.

Jarle’s Page on Max Depth/RQ

Read that, it's not long and very useful. Essentially, on the Sequence settings, also set Max Bit Depth (even though that just says it's for previews) and on export, maker sure the 16bpc option is used.

And let's hope there's not an M1 coding issue within Premiere on top of this stuff.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this solved it for me!

this should really be enabled by default for HDR sequences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines