• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

benchmark metrics for measuring scrubbing performance.

Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2022 Sep 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I have a system that behaves great when scrubbing media on internal and external drives, but poorly when the same file is on a network drive. This network drive is a Quantum Stornext that i access through fiber optic and on all benchmarks tests that i have done performs way better than any other drive. However, imported media from this drive lag, stutter, show only a few images when dragging the playhead on the viewer. Even my slowest internal drive outperforms it on this matter. I guess there´s a problem with the Stornext file system, but i´m having trouble communicating it to the support team.

Is there a test that i could do outside premiere that would show me this difference in performance? Sequential reads, random reads, iops, nothing show me a disavantage on this system. Or perhaps should i look to the network side of things?

Also, i would like to add that i reproduced the same problem in davinci resolve and on other machine. 

Thank you.

for the images, P: is the Stornext, G: is a internal sata, H: ia a external Lacie Raid.

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 06, 2022 Sep 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 07, 2022 Sep 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, cpailha1,

Sorry. Not all "network drives" are suitable for video editing. Premiere Pro was designed to use internal storage, so if you are in a shared environment, the advice is to involve your IT department. Support can only help to a limited extent for this reason and because of the sheer variety of possible configurations. 

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2022 Sep 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin. Thank you for your response. I had started a conversation with my IT department prior to this post. My intentions here are not to solve this but to understand how your software works so i can find a metric that will better explain my problem with my IT department. Right now they see me having a problem inside adobe's software, as all benchmarks done show this Stornext system performing much better than my other storage options. However i get a better editing experience from any drive but that. If you have some more info to add I would appreciate but thank you anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 09, 2022 Sep 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi cpailha1,

I used to work in a facility that used XSAN, which used the same technology. It had fiber channel, but also needed a separate connection for a metadata controller. I'm not sure if this would be a necessity for your system, but that might be the case. Media cache files should not live on these shares; they should live locally on the clients. Also, be aware of the date/time of the client workstations and the servers and controllers. They should match. I found this link, which may provide some insight, but ultimately, whoever is the entity that installed the system could probably advise you best.

I hope that helps.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 10, 2022 Sep 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IT people are rarely possessing any knowledge of the massive working difference between video post metadata and files in use and simple data pass-through. So your issue is rather a common one in many large firms where the video post people are simply on rather small 'department' within a large firm built around some other area of business.

Kevin's right, the process used by the underlying system to move data is crucial. Video post apps don't simply look at the whole file, or load it into cache or whatever. They need to acces sections of that file sequentially, and in very specific order. 

Often 'simple file transfer systems' prioritize the metadata in file headers as of less interest/need than the file data. The system is running good when it just can dump a ton of data BOOM through the 'pipe".

But if that data is not organized correctly when coming through, a video app can't use it. Hence lag/stutter and all sorts of issues. And this again is a common misperception of IT people, that data movement is just movement period.

You need a particular organization to the data movement, and some systems can do it well. Others do not do this at all. That's where your IT people need to become better informed.

Best wishes ... this can be tough to get across.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@cpailha1 

Reach out to Quantum technical support.  Their "Quantum Collaborative Workflow Solution powered by Quantum CatDV and Quantum StorNext®" is a "Quantum-tested and supported solution".

Quantum + Adobe: Collaborative Solutions for Adobe Premiere Pro

and

Welcome to Quantum Global Support Services

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines