• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best practices for project management / archiving a project with only the parts of clips it needs?

Contributor ,
Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to archive or projet manage a project where you don't copy ALL raw footage, rather just the parts of the clips the sequence needs? 

The typical "project manager" workflow involves copying all raw footage associated with a sequence. Even if a 30 minute clip is used for only 10 seconds, the entire 30 minute clip is copied. In the project manager there is a setting to exclude clips that aren't used at all, but not one to exculde just unused *parts* of clips.

I'm dreaming up some workarounds that are not ideal and may require a lot of prep work on my end, so I wanted to check in with the community for potential solutions.

Does anyone have any thoughts or best-practices for this?

TOPICS
Editing , Export , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi dv416,

Sorry. Are you saying that you've already tried the Project Manager yet or not? Let us know. It is supposed to work in this manner and does so, but with some popular formats, trimming cannot occur. There are a good number of exceptions. Which codec is your source footage originating in? If it is H.264 or HEVC, the Project Manager may not trim that media.

If that is a problem, I believe Autokroma has a third-party project manager that can solve the issue called PlumePack. Check it out: https://www.autokroma.com/PlumePack/Download

Otherwise, yes, you could export sections back to Media Encoder to trim the H.264 media after the fact, but it would be pretty painful, as you could imagine, doing that for each clip.

Another workflow: if you transcoded the footage to a broadcast codec at ingest, it would trim your project but the file sizes would be much larger than any original H.264 footage. 

Best Wishes,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kevin,

I did try project manager with a pro res transcode, but as soon as I saw an entire 30 minute multipclip footage copied over, I just deleted the output archive. Not what I was going for, so I didn't study the output too closely. 

Do you know the specific project manager settings that would indicate copying / transcoding JUST the needed footage in this way? 

Plume looks good. That may be the answer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

the PlumePack plugin has a trimmed consolidation feature but its not free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines