• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best way to speed up slow motion footage

Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2022 Jan 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the strangest thing happening on my current project, a little music video of a singer shot on the coast of Maine.  First, for some unexpected reason some of the takes are playing back in slow motion - looks like 120 fps.  But, the frame rate displayed in the project window, or it I open a Modify Clip window, shows as 24.976.  

I have given up on trying to figure out the why we shot some of the footage at a high frame rate, that ship has sailed and there's nothing anyone can do about it now.  I am instead focused on what the best way is to speed the footage up accurately, and why Premiere thinks footage that is obviously 120 fps is 23.976... so that I stand some chance of beiong able to sync up the high frame rate takes.

Thanks in advace for any help on this strange situation!

Joe

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps the footage was shot slomo in-camera. If that is the case then it's a mathematical calculation to speed up this footage,

Unfortunately you would need to know what the original frame rate was*. If you don't, then make a guess. In this case you think it was 120fps - so in your sequence change a clips speed to 500%. If it was shot at 120fps, it will now play in real time.

* if you can't find out what fps it was actually shot at but know that camera shot the footage - check it's specifications to find out what slomo speeds it is capable of. This may help you narrow down possible speeds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just right click and interpret footage and set it to what you think it should be. Then Premiere will just use that. From there sort out speed with math and you should be good if Premiere doesn't just do it for you. If I bring footage in to a sequence that is 60fps and it's 120, Premiere sorts it out for me and I don't do a thing. It's the original interpretation of the footage that matters most here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's funny, I did that first and it froze Premiere and crashed my computer!

Now I am just using Time/Duration in the timeline and speeding it up by 500%, and that seems to be working.  But I still dont understand why the footage came up as 23.976 fps to begin with... weird.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines