• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best workflow for Pancake Editing with Multi cam sequences?

Explorer ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm Pancake editing with multicam sequences :

current workflow:

-make source seq

-duplicate source - preedit outakes from source, adjust color, resize to fit comp

-make new Multi Cam Sequence from the pre-edited source duplicate

-Make a regular sequence with my B-roll

-drag and drop various parts of multicam edits into reqular sequence

issues:

cameras - 123 will not update by clicking them in program window - typing on the keyboard works - edits to the (open in time line - Source edit duplicate Sequence)   are not propogating to the multicam that was dragged into the final pancake sequence 

general terrible performance and tons of quirks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've moved this from the Using the Community forum (which is the forum for issues using the forums) to the Premiere Pro forum so that proper help can be offered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears the issue is with the New Transcription Feature - when the subtitle track is present in the multicam timeline the timeline will play at 3X speed with ausio and I can drop markers - but as soon as I go to make an edit of any kind: a cut in the sequence, switch between cameras - the computer freezes for 30seconds to 1 minute - remove the subtile track and back to editing as normal - Something isnt polished on the software side of things with the transcription feature it looks like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

B,

In a standard workflow, you'd cut the multicam first, then flatten, then add text and captions last. So, the unexpected hitches are because you're operating Premiere Pro a bit illogically compared to its design. Add junk to an already tight Timeline (you know...mulitple streams of video - especially H.264 - yeeeech-, and all). Makes sense, right? That said, feel free to file the bug on User Voice.

About using pancake editing with multicamera timelines, I've not yet experienced that - that is also unconventional, I'd say. Typically, these are all standard Timelines that are typically edited in this fashion. If you have any examples to share with other editors successfully doing so, please do.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Kevin,

No that doesn't make sense at all actually. The new transcription features metadata - The purpose of the transcription for me is - Solely for the purpose of editing through utilizing the metadata. 
I do not need captions for the text at all - I'm using the captions only for the METADATA created - to assist in editing - For instance: if i remember there was a place where a person said 'fix it now' then i can type in the word 'fix' in the text field - then the playhead will jump to that point where they say 'fix' in the timeline saving me tons of time.
This is, I imagine one of the key intended purposes of creating the metadata in the first place - which I APPLAUD ADOBE for! - but - lets just get it to work right...
I banked on it - and it screwed up my project and I've missed a deadline
Thanks,
Jesse

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, on pancaking with -when you have multiple multicam shoots and you need to complilethem into one edit (this doesn't seem to whacky to me for professional editing) It would seem that the sofware should support dragging portions of different multicam sequences into a master 'pancake' sequence. How else would you achieve this in a Non-Linear workflow? Honestly- let me know if there's a better way - I am pretty much self taught.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again for your response Kevin sorry if I sound short, long day of waiting for it to load frustrations, I appreciat your effort to assist. As for the heads up on User Vioce - I see acrobat user voice... Do you have a url or email for 'User Voice' for Premier? 

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peru!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's OK Jesse, I'm a former editor so I have a thick skin. I really want to understand all you are doing and support whatever you are trying to do, as you've explained, it's cool and unconventional. To be clear, I think it'll work and want it to work for ya. What may be holding up your workflow is a bug when sequences with captions are fit into an entire timeline. When zoomed into a timeline, the performance is much better. Could this be your issue?

As far as dealing with multiple multicam timelines, what kind of event(s) were these shot at - I'm still a little stumped as to why you'd have two separate multicamera sequences unless you're trying to compile multiple events.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey Kevin,

Cool thanks for understanding. the 'zoom in/out bug' is not the issue

• mutlicams from more than one multicam interview - combined in a normal sequence to be further edited and moven together nonlinear - so for instance to interviews seperate sequences & b-roll seperate sequence - drag n drop portions into a master comp sequence

•issue maybe - because i filmed out doors under some changing lighing conditions - I might want to revist the lumetri animations with in the source sequence

• therefore i made the transcript in the source sequence

• I copy and pasted the transcrip to the 'new sequence from clip' multicam sequence before editing it. Then if I need to go back to the souece sequence to adjust lumetri - i cansearch the source sequence by 'keyword metadata' as well as any other sequence i copied the metadata/subtitle layer to.

• My workfow is somewhat non destrictive as I duplicate sequences - including multicam sequences when I make a large change - I may want to later revise and change the version number of the sequence.

• Perhaps having subtitles/with metadata copied from the source sequence created the issue. But it corrupted my project to a stand still

• Ive purged all new versions of software thast dynamically link or round trip with premiere and working in the old version of premiere with no subtitles (same method) and it's silky smooth - not willing to work with transcripts or update to 15.4 till I get the word that the waters actually safe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there, even in the best of scenarios I never seem to have good luck with multicam sequences - basically the only time they work with even remotely acceptable performance is if I'm using a proxy workflow or have had the time to transcode everything to an edit-friendly format.

To that end, I tend to sort of 'DIY' my multi-cam settings:

- create a sequence, sync each camera on a different track

- manually adjust Motion scale & position so I can see all tracks in my program monitor

- when adding footage from that timeline, import all tracks, but right-click+disable on all cameras except the one you want

- once you've added the footage you want, select all of the shots from your mutlicam sequence and right click+set to frame size (or, if you have a more specific scale, apply the appropriate settings to just the first clip. Then cmd+c, then select the rest of the clips from the 'multicam' sequence, right click+apply attributes (motion))

While it works for me, I could certainly see a 'true' Premiere pro hating this method 😅

Only other piece of advice I'd offer is to not update until you personally have verified stability. I'm lucky enough to have my software managed by an IT person, and he tends to wait either weeks or months before pushing out updates. I'd also say never ever ever update any of your software in the middle of a project... which I only say because I, too, have been burned there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Hutch thanks for sharing your process, yah I work with proxies (somtimes make my own encoding and ingest presets to even minimize the file sizes further if using 120p clips and more than 3 angles, aswell as turn off the fx button if there is any remaining lag. Multicams generally run smooth for me - Think this was an issue of the process I used with the transcription in combination with the new version not being 100% polished. I knew i was going out on a limb to use a new version - but I was inticed by the metadata from the transcripts being auto generated. I am intersted in your method.

"- when adding footage from that timeline, import all tracks, but right-click+disable on all cameras except the one you want" I'll try that out -not totally clear on it without trying it 1st.- is there an online source you got this method from?

I usually just drag portions of multicams into a normal master sequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines