Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Bins disappear if there's only one file in it. Why?

Explorer ,
Jul 09, 2019 Jul 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this has been happening to me for years now, but i'm curious.

Why does Premiere delete Bins that only have one file in them when imported into the project panel?

I remember in the old CS6 days it used to create bins for folders that didn't have anything in them.

Now, instead it just plops the video file, unorganized into the project panel. Causing me to have to create the Bin again to keep that clip from getting lost.

Is there a setting i can switch that prevents this from happening?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In almost two decades of using Premiere Pro and more than a decade of participating in the forums, I've never once seen that happen or recall anyone else reporting such.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is so strange! Maybe i'm just doing something wrong. When i import my footage into a project, i double click on the empty Project panel, and select the folder that has all the sub folders in it. I believe it does this even when i drag and drop, instead of double clicking. But i've attached an image that shows what it looks like when it happens. The clip named "A7s_C0286.MP4" used to be in its own folder. But being that it's the only clip in that folder, Premiere just throws it into the project panel without a Bin.

Screen Shot 2019-07-09 at 3.23.44 PM.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a metadata file inside the folder that contained a7s_c0286? (meaning if you look at that folder OUTSIDE of Premiere, using Finder or Explorer)? It may be that Premiere is detecting it as something that needs to be muxed together into a singular file when imported. Thought that only happened in the Media Browser, but that may be what's happening here.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't replicate what you are seeing. If I import a file that is inside a folder, it adds the folder as a bin and places the file inside the bin - AS LONG AS I am selecting the folder and I click the "Import Folder" button before clicking Open.

Are you using Import Folder?

It is true that if there is a folder with no files (just another folder that has media files) in the path, it adds the first folder encountered and places the file in that bin (rather than adding the one with the file in it).

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 10, 2019 Jul 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When i import my footage into a project, i double click on the empty Project panel

The better way is Step 2C below.

Unofficial Premiere Pro Troubleshooting Guide

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey MrJoeDeSantis,

I'm also getting this issue. Did you ever manage to fix it?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines