Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Black banding with Linear Wipe video transition

Participant ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All:

Curious if anyone knows how to solve this problem. I have a logo on a black background on layer two. I want to transition to an all white background using Linear Wipe in the Transitions folder within the Video Effects folder (as opposed to the lousy gradient wipe that's in the Video Transitions folder). So I put the white on layer 1 and placed it underneath logo and black.

What's weird, though, is that as soon as I feather the wipe, I get this banding in the black as the white starts it's wipe. See attached. Any idea how to get around this? I've also tried going into Photoshop and making a jpg of the logo on black (rather than having a logo over a black background in Premiere) and I get the same results. 

TOPICS
Effects and Titles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

...Linear Wipe in the Transitions folder

What's weird, though, is that as soon as I feather the wipe, I get this banding in the black as the white starts it's wipe. 

By @Geoffrey Beane

Probably because Linear Wipe is an 8-bit effect. (8-bit=Gradients)

I would try to use a Mask and animate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Geoffrey Beane,

This seems like a bit depth related issue to me. Please go to Sequence > Sequence Settings and enable the checkboxes for Maximum Bit Depth and Maximum Render Quality. For exporting, choose a codec that supports high bit depth (such as Prores 422) and make sure that Render at Maximum Depth is selected. Also, select the drop-down box next to Depth and select 16-bpc. Please let us know if this works for you.

Regards,

Ishan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning Ishan. Thanks very much for the response. One thing I didn't mention before is that the screenshot I shared is NOT from an exported file. I just exported the frame directly from my sequence. (Separate: I did try to export, wondering if it was just something weird in the program window, but the banding shows up in the exported file too.)

Anyway, I tried your suggestions and those, unfortunately, still didn't solve the problem. This banding definitely is related to the amount of feathering I apply to the linear wipe.

See attached screenshots. All of them but one are 25% of the way through the transition, with varying degrees of feathering. Banding just shifts in appearance as I adjust the feathering. Even when I have the feathering on a rather low setting (100) and the banding isn't there, it's like a white filter has been dropped over the image - notice how the image isn't a real black but is washed out with 100 feather. 

Only when the transition reaches 60% do I arrive at a nice gradient.

By the way, I'm assuming that I'm using Linear Wipe correctly (this is my first time trying it). See Timeline screenshot. Top layer is my logo and bottom layer is my white background I created with Essential Graphics. Using the razor tool, I added an edit to my logo layer at the point where I wanted the transition to start. I dropped linear wipe onto that piece of the layer, placed a 0% keyframe at the start of the clip and a 100% keyframe at the end. Then slid the white background underneath. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...Linear Wipe in the Transitions folder

What's weird, though, is that as soon as I feather the wipe, I get this banding in the black as the white starts it's wipe. 

By @Geoffrey Beane

Probably because Linear Wipe is an 8-bit effect. (8-bit=Gradients)

I would try to use a Mask and animate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Gotcha. Good to know. Animating a mask - a new skill to learn 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines