• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Black preview screen in Mercury CUDA when playing Red footage

Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been told over the phone by the customer service to call nvidia to see why Adobe's CUDA Mercury renderer is failing...

Could anyone help with this bug? I can work on my edit for a few minutes at a time before my preview screen blacks out and I need to restart Premiere to get it working for a few minutes again.

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Aug 24, 2023 Aug 24, 2023

Hey all!

We have a potential fix in the latest version of Premiere Pro beta (version 24.0)

Please try your R3D footage in that version and let us know if the issue persists. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your hardware? CPU/GPU, and the GPU driver involved?

Have you downloaded and installed the latest Studio driver for your GPU?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil, thanks for your reply.

I was just doing some tests and realized I should have said what my hardware is, I'm still a bit in shock over the nonsensical customer service call...

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 super

Threadripper 3970X 32core

64GB RAM

I tried it with the latest version of Studio drivers and with one prior to latest.

I tried it with the latest Premiere update and with one prior to latest.

I noticed other posts mentioning something similar to my issue and it involved gpu memory, so I checked how much is being used in the Task Manager...

Then I scrub through 6K Red footage with a LUT applied it plays back smoothly in full quality, but memory usage at some point gets close to the 6GB available to the card and the screen blanks out.

Is there anything I can do (other than creating proxies for all my footage)? It's otherwise playing perfectly fine on my timeline in full quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a contributing author over at MixingLight, a subscription teaching site for colorists. Most of whom are on Resolve of course, or Baselight. But I see a ton of discussions on the internal Slack and on LiftGammaGain and elsewhere about GPUs and heavy duty video post work.

One of the things constantly discussed is the GPU cards and how they work with mega-pixel count media. The needs of vRAM are high with 6k/8k media that is either RAW or Log and with a LUT applied. It sounds like that 6GB of your card is just not quite enough. My 2080Ti with 11GB of vRAM struggles with 6k RED media. It gets by but is certainly being maxed out.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, after testing I think 6GB is not enough for 6K Red footage with a LUT.

The card is totally fast enough to play it very smoothly in real time, no dropped frames. But after a while the 6GB gets filled up. I already looked around and would love to get an RTX 2060 with 12GB of RAM, but GPUs are so in demand it's insanely expensive at the moment 😕

I'm creating proxies, at least it's going fast on a Threadripper.

I wish I could switch to Resolve, Premiere is the buggiest program ever made.

Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work both in PrPro and Resolve. Personally, neither is more stable on my desktop than the other. And from 'hanging' also on the BlackMagic forums, they have plenty of users reporting bugs also. I think it's part and parcel of the complex complicated nature of these apps.

Some users on certain kit are more stable with one than the other. Another user with similar kit will report the opposite. Maddening, really. But they are all only fancy hammers. Really.

So if one hammer works better for you to get stuff out to the nice clients what pays your bills, well ... the work has got to get out.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely. It's just frustrating when your tool makes you troubleshoot and work around bugs when deadlines are as tight as they are.

I've been using Premiere for almost 20 years and bugs can be so random. From exporting my stereo project in mono to the timeline disappearing when a certain bin is open in a project...

When a company is as big and rich as Adobe it just seems strange they don't have the resources to fix bugs...

As an example, a complex 3D software like Cinema 4D crashes extremely rarely for me, even loaded with third party plugins.

But I'm getting too off topic 🙂 Proxies are all made, back to work 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some of this stuff just makes you crazy, right?

Having been to numerous NABs and MAX events, I've had the chance to talk with people from the teams of the video apps in person. One thing I've learned is that the people actually really running the 'show' are the M&E folks ... marketing & experience. They acquire metrics from here there and everywhere and then essentially 'guide' the development teams in the direction the M&E folks think the client base wants.

But ... I'm not so sure that works as well as the M&E folks think ... especially when I've seen from expressions that some of the engineers apparently agree more with comments here and elsewhere, but ... um ... it's Company Policy. Which any company will have.

But even if the M&E folks weren't around, every editor works differently and wants different things anyway. What one insists is absolutely needed has another saying never ever EVER do that!

Sigh.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh! I've met a guy who works for Adobe in M&E, we have a mutual friend...

I asked him about all the bugs and he said he checked and there are no major reported bugs at the moment!

He even went on to say he hates PCs, even if the extent of his computer use are spreadsheets lol. And even if our mutual friend works on a Mac and has the same amount of problems, if not more...

It's ridiculous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow ... they even have a list of known major bugs outstanding published on their blog covering updates .... !

And yes, that still lists several major things as of today.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 24, 2023 Aug 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey all!

We have a potential fix in the latest version of Premiere Pro beta (version 24.0)

Please try your R3D footage in that version and let us know if the issue persists. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines