• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Black screen on clips UNLESS "Mercury Playback Engine Software Only" is selected

New Here ,
Oct 06, 2019 Oct 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I've been trying to work with footage for my reel & I've had issues with playback on certain clips.

For the most part, a majority of the clips I'm working with play fine whilst Premiere's renderer is set to "Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (CUDA)" but there are a few that will ONLY play whilst "Mercury Playback Engine Software Only" is selected. 

Is there any reason for this? The files in question are all .mp4's that I've previously rendered out of Premiere before. They playback great on VLC/Windows Video/etc, however when playing them back in Premiere, unless Software Only is selected, I get a black screen. 

I have a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti graphics card, so I imagine I'd always want to have GPU acceleration flipped on. Furthermore, "Software Only" is incredibly sluggish by comparison on playback, render, and worse yet, renders some of the animation presets incorrectly.  (At this point, I've tried just rolling with Software Only, but even then, it gives me issues.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

James

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, use this Free program to get file information for PC/Mac http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download so you may compare exactly what is inside a video that works -vs- one that doesn't

Second, Do not count on Windows to be fully up to date when it comes to device drivers
Go to the vendor site to be sure you have an updated driver for your graphic adapter
•nVidia Driver Downloads http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

There are also intermittent reports that the newest driver is not always the best driver due to driver bugs or compatibility issues, so you MAY need to try an earlier driver version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks John, is MediaInfo something you drop an Adobe Session File into? Or perhaps the problematic video files? Forgive me, I hadn't heard of it before now.

Also I forgot to mention, the problematic clips DO play in the Source Monitor (even whilst GPU Acceleration is enabled) but DON'T play in the program monitor. Hopefully that could help isolate the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The solution is to never update premiere pro. Roll back to an older version. Some of your projects will not work on them but try and use older versions of premiere for future works. I've had this issue too many times on the newer versions. Never again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines