• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

We pay a subscription for working software

New Here ,
Sep 10, 2022 Sep 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have installed version 22.6.2, available from 09/11/2022 in my location. Before that, I had lost a lot of time. We pay a subscription for working software which has PRO (fessional) in its name.
If not, let's them change their name to Premiere without PRO.
How long do we have to wait for Color Checker Passport? It will probably appear in Premiere when Avid adds it in 10 years.

Mod note: Branched and moved. Title has been changed.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Oct 05, 2022 Oct 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems obvious to me that Adobe sees the motherlode is selling products to amateurs, semi-pros, dilletantes, social media "influencers," and pod-casters.  It's a huge and growing market, whereas the pro market will generally be fairly static and much smaller.  They're advertising the Creative Cloud on TV. 

I thnk they should drop "Pro" from the name if they're not concerned about Resolve taking the NLE market for pros.  Given that Adobe made its reputation for color via Photoshop, they should be embarrassed they let it be tainted by Premiere's inferior color correction tools. 

That's not to say you can't get great color from Pr if your source media was expertly acquired.  When it's not is when the differences between Pr and Resolve become more obvious.

I urged Red Giant to expand on Colorista, and make it a Resolve-like third-party plug-in for Pr, but they're not interested.  I used Colorista in Pr before I abandoned both for Resolve.  I saw Colorista as an improvement on Pr's color, if only marginally.

All that said, I don't know if the current build of Pr is that buggy on my $15,000 Mac Pro.  I only use it for certain small jobs, as I moved the bulk of my work to Resolve in early 2021.  I never encountered a job-killing, deadline-missing problem in Pr.  I found ways to workaround bugs and crashes.  Some were time-consuming.  I do think that some of the extreme issues some people report are configuration, plug-in, or corrupt media related.  The bulk of my issues were due to mixed and Long-GOP sources.  Long-GOP is an abomination for editing.  Transcode it all to ProRes or other intraframe codec, and many issues vanish instantly.  Sure, you CAN edit with native codecs, but SHOULD you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 11, 2022 Oct 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fortunatly, most of the source footage I get from a Red camera is already ProRes which makes editing so much easier across the board regardlesss of it being done in Premiere Pro, Final Cut Pro, or Resolve.

If receiving R3D from a Red camera shoot instead of ProRes, I very much prefer to use Redcine-X Pro to do a "one light" conversion to ProRes (again, editing is so much easier across the board with ProRes), but last I checked Redcine-X Pro is still Intel based Mac only.

Red Native (V-RAPTOR 8K VV, 8K FF (8192 x 4320), 120 fps, REDCODE LQ and 8K FF (8192 x 4320), 75 fps, REDCODE MQ) isn't as responsive when Playback Resolution is set to Full in Premiere Pro as ProRes (or DNx or Cineform), but it still works well at a low Playback Resolution when I follow the Red Tech Workflow for Premiere Pro.  Are you following that workflow?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I edit Red footage all the time in Resolve,  I do not have to convert it to ProRes. Resolve handles it just perfectly. I color correct and play it in real time. Why do you insist on using Premier?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you found a great solution.  Thank you for sharing.  In the Resolve Project Settings, do you set the Optmized Media Format and the Render Cache Format to ProRes or DNx?

While I use Premiere Pro most frequently, I'll use Final Cut Pro or Resolve or Media Encoder.  Obviously I'm not having the performace issues that you are and produce content daily with Premiere Pro and After Effects.  I also make heavy use of Media Encoder, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Audition.  All must-haves as far as I'm concered.  I use Compressor, Shuttter Encoder, and VLC Player at various times, usually when Adobe video software isn't happy with a particular format.  What I don't use too much, but is very popular, is Handbrake.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's an analogy I like to use. I own two cars, a Ford fusion and a Tesla. They will both get me to the grocery store. But why would I ever use the Ford if I have a Tesla? Yes I can fiddle about and get premier pro to do most things… But why bother? I'm done with Premiere. I haven't used it in eight months and I don't miss it one bit. Resolve does everything premier does Only better. Yes I still use after effects and Photoshop and illustrator and they all seem to be wonderful. Why can't Adobe get their act together…? But I don't even care because no matter how good premier gets it will never be able to do the color correction that resolve does. Hundred million dollar movies are color effected in Resolve.
After eight months of resolve and not using premiere Pro, now when I jump back into premiere it feels like a toy.

i'm running it on a Mac Studio ultra with 128 gigs of RAM. So everything is smooth as butter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you found a great solution.  Thank you for sharing.  In the Resolve Project Settings, do you set the Optmized Media Format and the Render Cache Format to ProRes or DNx?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neither. Resolve plays all formats and I have never had a problem.

I am on a Mac Studio ultra and I've never been given A format that resolve will not play. I'm sure they are out there… But so far I've been lucky.

I set my render cache to "smart" and that's about it. Never needed to use proxies, not even once. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resolve can't render transitions and superimpositions to Red native.  You have to be transcoding transitions, effects, and superimpositions to something (ProRes default in Resolve, but it can be switched to DNx).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did not know that… Guess I've never come across that problem. But thanks for letting me know. I can always render in place as ProRes. Resolve is not perfect… But it's only 10 times better than Premier. Lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2022 Oct 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I STRONGLY ADVICE DELETING ADOBE PREMIER PRO, MAYBE WHEN THEY SEE A MAX EXODUS, THEY WILL GET THE MESSAGE!!! REALLY DISAPOINTED!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or... troubleshoot the issue that's specific to your machine so you can get the same excellent performance that others are getting.

Your choice, of course. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

or just switch to Davinci resolve and enjoy the excellent performance no matter what codec. Worked in Premiere + 10 years with commercials, music videos, documentaries tv shows (1,5-2hours formats). Once I got used to Resolve my mind was blown´how fast Resolve is with everything. Mac Pro 19 performance with Premiere is a joke. One single H264 clip in the Premiere timeline and performance is going down like the titanic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there,

Sorry about that. You may find that the Mac Pro 2019 won't work well for H.264 footage as there is no Quick Sync with that CPU. It's a XEON chip. Did you know? I view it as a flawed choice of hardware if native H.264 is what you're attempting to cut. Is that the case? If so,  you might try a ProRes workflow instead. It's a shame that many people bought these Apple computers at expensive pricing that was poor for their H.264/HEVC workflow. Sorry.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m not having any crashing problems with Premier, but then I’ve stopped using Premier. Resolve is infinitely better in every possible way. And it doesn’t crash. Well, if you start fooling around in fusion, then it might. But if you stay out a fusion it’s perfectly fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin, thanks for your reply. Found a solution already, switched to resolve, performance ia amazing, never needed proxies again. Even 8k RED Raw runs flawless, h264 like butter. Even with the Xeon 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 03, 2022 Dec 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you have the performance you want. Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the M1 Ultra with 128 gigs of RAM and I don't have any problem with Premier crashing… That's not my problem with it. If you've never played with anything better, then you don't really know. And long as you stick with ProRes, I find premiere pro to be perfectly adequate. But perfectly adequate is not what I'm looking for. Resolve is theTesla of editing software. It's not perfect but it's miles beyond premiere Pro. And when it comes to color correcting, premiere pro doesn't even exist compared to resolve. But for people who are NOT good with big learning curves, and are not ambitious, premier pro is perfectly adequate. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mezzanine CODECs.  Look them up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the solution! I'm just switching to Davinci Resolve like everyone else 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 05, 2022 Dec 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Congratulations!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Davinci Resolve. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2022 Sep 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pain in the *ss, switching to DaVinci as soon as possible.. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This. I've already got most of my clients to switch over to DaVinci. Only come back to Premiere now to open old projects and export XMLs to DaVinci.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 29, 2022 Aug 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Cavalry for animation, DaVinci Resolve for editing. Glad to see some alternatives coming around for Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 03, 2022 Dec 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a steep learning curve to Resolve, compared to Premiere, but once
you get it, you won't be disappointed. Resolve does everything Premiere
does only better, faster, and everything else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines