• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Black Screen (source and preview) when using GPU acceleration (CUDA) [NVidia GTX 780M]

New Here ,
May 06, 2014 May 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys!

I am running Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 on Windows 7 (Ult) on a machine equipped with NVidia GTX 780M (4 GB VRAM) graphics card. The source and the preview monitors are both black if I select GPU accelerated rendering. There is a yellow bar above the timeline clips, I can hear the sound tracks, but there is no image. If I choose the Software Only rendering (CPU) then I do see the image as well, but the real-time playback and rendering times are awful!

PrCS6-CPU.JPG

PrCS6-GPU.JPG

At first, the application would not allow me to use the GPU acceleration using NVidia’s CUDA processing. Once I entered my video card name in the “cuda_supported_cards.txt” file in the Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 folder I was able to choose between Mercury Playback Engine Software Only and Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration CUDA.

I tried downgrading the video card driver to the previous stable version and reinstall Pr – no go. How do I make Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 work with my NVidia GTX 780M video card?

Your insight is appreciated!

P.S. I used to work on a different machine equipped with NVidia GTX 670M card (which is also missing from the officially supported Pr CS6 cards list) and I never had any issues of this nature with that laptop.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 02, 2017 Jun 02, 2017

Hi KIV,
We never heard back from you. Hope you solved your issue. In most cases, it is related to the GPU driver that you have installed. It may be outdated. Sometimes you have dual GPUs installed and the Control Panel has the wrong one selected as the high powered one preferred by Premiere Pro.

Others in this thread have tried one or both of these options with success. Try them if you're still facing this issue.

Unfortunately, your post has become a repository for all people having this problem, M

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2014 Jul 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. Did you find a solution?

In my case, it worked for a long time, but from one day to another, the source and the preview monitors were both black if I select GPU accelerated rendering. I have no idea, what changes happend on my system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2014 Jul 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I am experiencing the exactly the same problem. I'm using a NVIDIA GTX660M video card. Also downgraded the Nvidia driver to the previous version. I´ve been using my setup for quite some time without any problems. Support is needed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This past week was Microsoft patch week, and a Windows DLL change CAN cause problems... try a newer driver

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, that could be a reason. Nevertheless the latest WHQL version from Nvidia is from june. I will try the latest beta driver whether that solves the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an GTX 765M and the driver is 9.18.13.3165 and CS6 is working fine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2014 Jul 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Latest beta version is not solving the problem 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2014 Jul 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

As stated before, I had the same problem. Apparantly the solution for me was to check the Nvidia settings. My setup has both an onboard GPU and a Nvidia GPU (on purpose specifically for video editing and gaming). Normally the system should switch to Nvidia automatically. However, the Nvidia settings for Premiere where set to favor the onboard GPU. After changing this. everything works fine again!

kind regards. Bart

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 05, 2015 Jul 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the same issue (Source and Program, black) with a quadro k5000 -  premiere cc 2015 and 347.52 driver. I have changed several versions of the drivers none works, even the suggested by Nvidia website for adobe. I'm on windows 7 64bit. This happened after a windows updates of early june 2015.

Now i'm working with cpu and not gpu.

The same issue with lightroom that doesn't recognize gpu

Please Help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2015 Aug 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I ve had the same problem and solved it:

In Nvidia settings I didn t manage to get Premiere to use the Nvidia 660M instead of the basic one. It had always "forgotten" the settings when I restarted Nvidia Control Center. So I installed the later Nvidia driver 353.62, changed Premiere to always use the Nvidia Card, Multi-Display to "Compatibility" and Cuda CPUs to"all". With the new version Nvidia didn t forget the settings and black preview in Premiere CS6 finally changed to a beautiful video!

hope it was understandable, my english s not the best and my win is in german, so settings have other names.

cheers&good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2015 Aug 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is not working. I have still the black screen with my k5000 on premiere

"Hello

I ve had the same problem and solved it:

In Nvidia settings I didn t manage to get Premiere to use the Nvidia 660M instead of the basic one. It had always "forgotten" the settings when I restarted Nvidia Control Center. So I installed the later Nvidia driver 353.62, changed Premiere to always use the Nvidia Card, Multi-Display to "Compatibility" and Cuda CPUs to"all". With the new version Nvidia didn t forget the settings and black preview in Premiere CS6 finally changed to a beautiful video!

hope it was understandable, my english s not the best and my win is in german, so settings have other names.

cheers&good luck"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2015 Nov 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Michael,

This works for me as well. After updating Nvidia driver for my GeForce GT 640M on my Win8 laptop from 331.82 to 359 the setting for preferred graphics processor was re-setted to default "Auto-select" and the "source" and "program" windows turned black. Setting it back to "High Performance NVIDIA Processor" made Premier Pro CS6 work as normal again.  Thanks for setting out the course how to fix it. 

/Joakim

Skärmklipp 2015-11-24 22.12.00.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2016 Mar 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Joakim.  I have been having such a crazy issue with mine. Video shows in the Export Settings screen and on any other pop out like for Title Cards, but it wouldn't play on the Source or Program monitors.  My solution was the opposite. I had to force it to use the Integrated Video Card. For some reason it's not working properly with my 960m even after updating the graphics drivers.  I really don't know what else to do about that honestly.  But appreciate it since i can at least use Premiere now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2016 Jul 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kacy, just wondering if you ever found a fix for this.  I just posted a new query because my issue is the same - integrated card works fine, but 960M does not.  I get picture in EXPORT dialogue and other windows just like you, but absolutely nothing in the source or program monitors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 15, 2016 Jul 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi KacyCrawford,

See if this post assist you: FIXED! 2015.3 MPE GPU Acceleration issue...

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2016 Oct 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin, same issue here and has been an issue for a long time.  Black screen or heavily glitched image while on CUDA.  Perfect image, no issues when on Software only.  This happens both when I've been working for a short time and a long period of time.

Running OS X 10.11.6 (15G1001)

Mac Pro 2009, 2 x 2.93 GHZ 6core

32GB RAM

GPU - GTX980 Ti (MacVidCard flashed)

NVIDIA WebDriver 356.03.15f03

Running most up-to-date Premiere Pro 2015.4 release

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys i have the issue by 2014 and nothing happen yet. K5000 and black screen. Wast of money on quadro.

There is still no solution outhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi vincenzoa,

Can you try installing an earlier version of the NVIDA drivers? See this web page: Drivers - Download NVIDIA Drivers

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, yes this thread is now almost 7(!!!) years old. Same problem with Premiere CC23. How? How is this fixable? OpenGL or software only lags and stutters, as I have AE clips in the timeline. PLEASE ADOBE DO SOMETHING!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 02, 2017 Jun 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi KIV,
We never heard back from you. Hope you solved your issue. In most cases, it is related to the GPU driver that you have installed. It may be outdated. Sometimes you have dual GPUs installed and the Control Panel has the wrong one selected as the high powered one preferred by Premiere Pro.

Others in this thread have tried one or both of these options with success. Try them if you're still facing this issue.

Unfortunately, your post has become a repository for all people having this problem, Mac or PC and across multiple versions of Premiere Pro. Therefore, I'll have to ask others to refrain from posting here and creating your own post first. That way, we can troubleshoot your specific case.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All Drivers and software versions are up to date. Preferred GPU is set as Nvidia. That's always the standardized answer. Maybe anything else? How about bug-fixing premiere??? For years this is happening. U-N-B-E-L-I-V-A-B-L-E.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2018 Sep 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding this solution here as it may help others with this issue. This solution probably applies only for people with the following issue:

Environment and prerequisites:

Windows 7 64bit

Optimus-based laptop or notebook such as Lenovo Y580

NVIDIA graphics card such as GTX660M

Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 (or perhaps also newer versions)

NVIDIA Control Panel configured correctly to allow Adobe Premiere Pro to run on NVIDIA GPU

Adobe Premiere Pro configured correctly to allow use of NVIDIA GPU

Issue:

In Adobe Premiere Pro CS6, when opening a project set for GPU accelerated rendering, the source and preview windows are both completely black. When switching to software only rendering, and deleting the existing previews, the source and preview windows show normally but with bad performance.

Caused by:

NVIDIA DLL C:\Windows\System32\nvinitx.dll is signed with SHA1 signature which has been deprecated.

This 64-bit DLL is loaded when 64-bit applications are initialized, through the AppInit mechanism. This is due to the following entry in the Windows registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\AppInit_DLLs, which is set to the value: C:\Windows\System32\nvinitx.dll

Note that this NVIDIA DLL has a 32-bit counterpart: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\nvinit.dll, which is likewise signed with a SHA1 signature.

The 32-bit DLL is loaded when 32-bit applications are initialized, by the 32-bit subsystem AppInit mechanism. This is due to the following entry in the Wow6432Node section of the Windows registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\AppInit_DLLs, which is set to the value: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\nvinit.dll

By default, DLLs used by AppInit (whether 32-bit or 64-bit) must be signed with a valid signature. Since these DLLs are signed with a deprecated signature, they do not load, and hence the GPU does not communicate properly with the app using it.

Temporary Solution:

Using Regedit, set the data of the following registry values to 0 (zero):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\RequireSignedAppInit_DLLs

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\RequireSignedAppInit_DLLs

If one or both of these values don't exist, create them as 32-bit DWORD values.

Note that by applying this solution, you will allow DLLs that are unsigned, or, as in this case, signed with a deprecated signature, to run via the AppInit mechanism. If you have verified the above mentioned registry entries and made sure that you know and trust the origin of all DLLs referenced, then you may safely use this temporary solution.

Note that it is not necessary to restart the system. You can test the solution immediately after making these changes to the registry by running Adobe Premiere Pro, opening a project, setting it to GPU accelerated rendering, and deleting the existing previews. You should no longer have black source and preview windows.

Proper Solution:

NVIDIA must ensure that all of its DLLs are signed using valid SHA256-based signatures.

Undoing the temporary solution:

Using Regedit, set the data of the following registry values to 1 (one):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\RequireSignedAppInit_DLLs

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\RequireSignedAppInit_DLLs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2019 May 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GTX 1080

Black screen after I changed sequence resolution, switched preview from CUDA to Software only and then switch back.

Modify regedit helped to solve this problem.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2019 Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

What did you changed exaclty? im having the same issue with a RTX 2060 from a couple a days ago. Im using windows 10 and i cant find those options on regedit. I get to the last folde but cant finde "RequireSignedAppInit_DLL"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2019 Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to @arielh

Temporary Solution:

Using Regedit, set the data of the following registry values to 0 (zero):

You missed the very important part. Check out the last sentence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines