• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Busted Video Card or something overlooked?

Explorer ,
Jul 24, 2022 Jul 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I've been experiencing a problem for the last two months that started with an update. My system only runs Premiere Pro, no games or anything else. It dates from last year and all was new except for the Video Card, an Nvidia GTX 1060 with 6GB VRAM. However it was performing perfectly with 32GB RAM and a Ryzen 5 1600. I also have 3 SSD/NVME and all as recommended, O/S on one, cache/scratch on the other etc.

At first it was the rendering that was slow so I thought the new updates were more demanding and so was my editing, sometimes 4K. So after reading Adobe support that says to start with RAM and CPU I upgraded to 64GB RAM and the CPU to a Ryzen 7 5700.

However even today editing 1080P when I try to add a simple "Write-on" effect it's makes it go nuts. It's slow and can't move the simple line without it taking a good three second to react.

All that being said, before I change the Video Card, the rest of the system is working perfectly and I don't see any errors, I don't have glitches, only Premiere Pro. Which is why I am hesitant to spend $500 to uprgade the video card if it's a simple issue that I overlooked.

I updated the latest drivers and followed some advice about tweaking the nvidia settings but no difference.

Anyone has any suggestions or anything that could test the video card like a diagnostic tools not a "how fast it can perform test"?

Thank you in advance for any help.

PS

Curent hardware is:

- MSI B450-A Pro M/B with latest Bios

- Ryzen 7 5700 CPU

- 64GB RAM

- Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB model

- 3 x SSD/NVME

- All Hardware acceleration is activated

- All seperate drives as recommended

- Purged cache

- Updated video driver

TOPICS
Error or problem , Export , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Delete the Media Cache and Media Cache files:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/faq-how-to-clear-your-media-cache-in-30-seconds-in-premi...

If that doesn't work, try resetting the preferences:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/faq-how-to-reset-trash-preferences-in-premiere-pro/td-p/...

If that doesn't work, try resetting the Workspaces:
Reset a workspace
Reset the current workspace to return to its original, saved layout of panels.
1. Do one of the following:
• Click the Workspace menu icon and select Reset to Saved Layout.
• Choose Window > Workspace > Reset to Saved Layout.
from here:
https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/workspaces.html

If that doesn't work, try Preferences > Audio Hardware and set Input to None.

If that doesn’t work, try updating or rolling back your graphics driver directly from the video card manufacturer’s site. If NVIDIA, do a clean installation of the latest Studio Driver (NOT the Game Driver)

If that doesn't work, try creating a new project and import the old one into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Write on effect is non gpu accelerated effect and obsolete. Rendering is done on the cpu.

Do you have MPE hardware?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is interesting. So you are saying that the Write effect is CPU not GPU, that could mean something else is wrong then and slowing my system. That's something to look into. What bothers me is that even upgrading the CPU did nothing so could be the motherboard or some Windows stuff going on.

I uninstall and re-installed the NVIDIA drivers with latest from their site. I cleared database cache and nothing helped. Very strange, especially since it was working three months ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can check all the effects in the Effects panel, for whether they are GPU accelerated and a couple other factors. They have 'lego blocks' for each of the three things that are listed.

Motherboards are often a major source of bottlenecks, as they have different ways of grouping 'lanes' and various other throughput procedures. If as on some, the one available GPU type slot also is 'shared' on a lane with another major used slot, well ... there's a bottleneck right there.

I'm around a lot of colorists, who oft have two powerful GPUs installed for use in Resolve. They are always checking the mobo's for lane assignments of course. And ... they will want at least two massive high-speed RAID arrays attached ... and Decklink or other video out cards ... and ...  and ...   😉

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for all the information.

There is one thing that bothers me overall is that it was not like this a couple months ago with a less powerful CPU and half the RAM. I've run a bunch of tests this week on the hardware and apparently it's running fine. I know the video card could use an upgrade but I don't think it's normal for me to wait a minute watching it spin just so I can add a new keyframe and move a line from point a to b.

Rendering a segment in the timeline has the same effect, it's practically freezing the system and yet CPU and RAM activity are extremely low.

I'm going to try another video card because I see notjing else, I think mine has just done it's time but now debating going back to AMD RT6600 as opposed to another Nvidia since Adobe claims supporting it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't edit my post I meant RX 6600 as opposed to a RTX 3060. I also wondered in the older 2060 that was re-released with 12GB VRAM might help since it has all that VRAM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi John,

Sorry about the frustration. You could try running this benchmark to test the performance of your system: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/PugetBench-for-Premiere-Pro-1519/

I hope that helps you determine which system has better performance.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For questions about what hardware pieces, @RjL190365 is the best set of brains around these parts ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines