• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can an HDD affect the speeds of an SSD?

New Here ,
Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a computer with 2 harddrives. The main one is an SSD, this one has premiere installed, The other one is an HDD, this one holds all of my raw video and audio. Will my video/audio coming from an HDD affect premiere's performance, or will there be no effect? (All exports will go to the HDD as well)

TOPICS
Export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A system is as strong as it is the weakest link.

So yes, an old-fashioned spinning drive can hold you back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will it hold me back in the actual videomaking process? or just export times?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Your SSD will have a throughput of anything between 400 & 2000 MB/s. A single spinning Hard Drive will give you somewhere around about 90MB/s to 140MB/s. Effectively you are looking at at least around 4x faster throughput from an SSD.

Download the free Blackmagic Design Speed disk app if you want to see what speeds you are getting.

Can you edit from a spinning Hard Disk - yes. Will it be OK for editing - maybe. Depends on how complex your projects are. Lots of audio tracks and multiple layers of video will tax a drive more than a simple edit with few layers of audio and video etc. 4k video is going to tax an HDD more than HD footage etc.

Work with what you have and aim to get an additional SSD when you can.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines