Can latest version Premiere 22.2.0 control and record tapes from Linear SD machines?

Enthusiast ,
Feb 19, 2022 Feb 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got three linear decks to choose from:

• Sony UVW-1800 (Beta SP) with RS-232 control, Component, Composite, and S-Video out.
  • DSR-80 (DV/DVCam) with RS-232 control, same outputs plus SDI out.
  • DSR-11 (DV/DVCam) with FireWire 800 control

I suspect the DSR-11 is the most compatible, but so far I haven't been able to control it from Mac whose only connector is USB-C.

I'm wondering if at this point the technological gap is just too big or maybe there's some trick to cabling I just haven't figured out yet.

TOPICS
Editing , Formats , Hardware or GPU , How to , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would need a Thunderbolt enabled computer and 3rd party hardware from AJA or Blackmagic Design for the Betacam Deck. For the Firewire DV deck it should work with a Firewire to Thunderbolt adapter.  

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By Thunderbolt, I'm assuming you mean Thunderbolt 2 or 1?

On newest model macs the USB-C connectors double as Thunderbolt 3 connectors -- same shape but different heritage, and even functionality.

I've got a USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 - to Thunderbolt 1/2  adaptor

And a Thunderbolt 1/2 to FireWire800 adaptor.

Together, at least so far, they're not working.

I'm guessing you're saying what's needed is a Thunderbolt1/2 native Mac?

I've actually got a FireWire Mac -- and it connects to the DSR-11, which is great, but oh, in its old age, how it struggles to digitize.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some of the AJA and Blackmagic Design products are Thunderbolt 2 and some are Thunderbolt 3. 

The adapters should work as seen in the video link below. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 27, 2022 Feb 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Still using only adaptors, no AJA box yet, but made some progress.

Turns out part of the problem was a setting:

MacOS > System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Camera

Has to permit Adobe Premiere Pro, even though we're dealing with a deck, as opposed to a camera.

That allowed deck control: Play, FFW, REW all working.

BUT Video and timecode are still not reading.

Meanwhile, over in iMovie it's possible to capture video.

So now we know the cable works, the adaptors (Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 / Thunderbolt 2 to FireWire 800) work just fine.

So part of this question has been answered:

Can Premiere control a DSR-11 over Firewire800: Answer yes, using two relatively inexpensive adaptors.

Can Premiere record with timecode from DSR-11 over Firewire800: Answer is probably yes -- but not yet confirmed.   I'm guessing there's a somewhat software setting or driver of some kind.  iMovie can do it, so I suspect Premiere can as well.

Following up with a more specific post here.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines