• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't capture from VHS

New Here ,
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't capture from vhs through a canopus converter and firewire. It worked through Final Cut, but not through Premiere on the same system, and the converter is working, and displaying converted footage on a monitor. I just can't get it to show up in my capture window. My next atempt will be to buy a different video capturing system and transfer the files to Premiere once complete. I have the problem on both my desktop and laptop both running Premiere on macOS 12.6 "Monterey"

Please help,

Rob

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Hardware or GPU , How to , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's working with Final Cut Pro, why not capture with that and then import the resulting files into Premiere Pro?

If you happen to be running Premiere Pro on an Apple Silicon-based Mac, DV capture requires running Premiere Pro using Rosetta.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2022 Nov 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upgrading to Monterey OS12.6 obsoleted my Final Cut Pro App or I would do it now. It sucks that I'm paying for something (Adobe Creativer Cloud) that doesn't work. Seriously thinking of switching systems if I can't answerr this quesdtion by the end of the weekend

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Licensed copies of Final Cut Pro update with macOS and Apple allows it to run on five devices under the same Apple ID.

I keep a 2013 13-inch MacBook Pro with built-in FireWire for DV capture.  

You may need to switch to capture hardware with analog input like something from Blackmagic Design and use their capture software. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just solved it by going through Quicktime Player 10.5. Good ol' Apple solving the problems Adobe created. Another reason to dump this fauty program of Premiere Pro. Think I may try DaVince next, or go back to FCP or AVID.

Hope this helps someone else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank yoi for sharing what worked for you.

Apple offically dropped support for DV back in 2013 when it deprecated QuickTime in favor of AV Foundation Frameworks and brought it back due to overwhelming demand. 

AVID Media Composer has never supported DV-NTSC.  There was an AVID lite type solution, but it was short lived.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines