• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't create a title graphic with a transparent background

Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2022 Jul 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried everything to create a title with a transparent background to be place over video in Premiete Pro 2022. This was trivially simple in CS6, as titles were create with transparent backgrounds. Not so with CS2022. Graphics are created with a black background. So I watched YouTube videos. They all say to drop LumaKey on the graphic and Poof! The black is gone. Well, not here. I tried exporting the graphic and importing it into Photoshop, where I selected all the black and deleted it, showing a transparent background. I saved it as a PSD file and imported it into Premiere Pro. I doesn't matter which layer I select for importing, it always comes in with a black background which I cannot get rid of.

Then I tried exporting from Photoshop as a TIFF. Importing the TIFF into Premiere Pro brought it in with a white background, which I also can't get rid of. Ladies and Gentlemen, all I want is a title with a transparent background. How do I make such a title graphic?

TOPICS
Effects and Titles , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 08, 2022 Jul 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you create a graphic with the Text tool in the EGP/Graphics workspace, the 'background' always starts as transparent. You get a new graphics clip on the track above any video, and can see all video through the area of the graphic except where you have text.

Or have added a background to the text.

So I'm having trouble understanding what you're doing to get that ... although, if you don't understand that "black" at times is the lack of anything there, that might be it.

As if you're putting a graphic over an area that doesn't have any image, naturally, the rest of the screen is black. You haven't given that any signal to display.

So then you would need to add a rectangle in the graphic "below" the text, as large or larger than the sequence framesize, and set it to whatever color/brightness you want.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 09, 2022 Jul 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Neil, for your quick response. I was pretty frustrated. Your suggestion of the Text tool solved my problem. And I mentioned in my first sentence that my graphic/title was to be placed over a video track, and when I did that, the entire frame was black except for the text. Furthermore, that black could be made transparent with LumaKey, which was shown to work for that purpose in numerous YouTube videos on the subject.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Ess Graphics works the same as the old titler. No background.

Transparency shows as black.

In fact its not a solid black but rather a void that shows as black.

You could turn on the Transparency grid in the Program monitor and check.

Or put your text in V2 over a clip in V1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Ann, for your speedy response. I discovered the Text tool which solved my problem. I see no reference to "Ess Graphics", but if you mean Essential Graphics, that I what I used and it created a graphic that was generated with a solid black background and I saw no way to make the background transparent in that tool. I understand the concept of a void appearing black when no video is below the graphic. I assure you that such is not the case in my experience. When placing the graphic over my video track, the entire frame was black except for the text, and that black could not be removed despite all the methods I tried. I don't know about the Transparency grid in the Program monitor, but I will look for and play with it. That might be another solution.

Thank you for your input,
Lanny

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The controls for this are in the Essential Graphics Panel or EGP ... found easily in the Graphics workspace. The Edit tab of the EGP is where you build & format things.

When you make a new text line in the EGP ... Essential Graphics Panel .... it is simply text, it doesn't make a background for it.

You can either go down lower in the panel to the formatting controls for that text and check the background box & set a color/opacity, or you can add a new layer to the graphic.

That's done with the new item icon at the lower right of the EGP layer stack, and you can make a new rectangle, and edit that to give it the size/shape/location/color/opacity you want.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines