• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't import .avi anyway

New Here ,
Feb 06, 2019 Feb 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please help me to import videofile with such parameters. The codec pack K-light is installed, but it still does not work. I do not understand why the file is not imported, files with h265 and pcm codecs can be imported singly.

Безымянный.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 06, 2019 Feb 06, 2019

Never install a codec pack, can mess up your system codecs.

Premiere does not support avi with 264, so guessing 265 is also not supported.

Need to convert before bringing it into Pr.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you play the AVI outside of Premiere? Where did the AVI come from (what created it)?

Videos may not import and display properly in Premiere if they have employ a particular CODEC (compression) that is not available in Premiere so it is unable to interpret the video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanx for your answer

Yes, this video can be played in VLC media player. I recieved this video from business partner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never install a codec pack, can mess up your system codecs.

Premiere does not support avi with 264, so guessing 265 is also not supported.

Need to convert before bringing it into Pr.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the answer.

I installed a codec pack just because of despair.

It's a pity that I can do nothing with Premiere pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use Premiere if you convert the file first say with HandBrake.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanx for the help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Handbrake all of the time.  File sizes are significantly smaller without any noticeable quality loss.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 08, 2019 Apr 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael, "smaller without any noticeable quality loss" ?    Smaller?  Of course, AVIs are converting to .mp4.  No noticeable quality loss?  That's quite a subjective claim.  My first 6 conversions using handbrake don't show lossless results at all.  I have seen significant enough quality loss and that's before I bring it into Premiere and let it knock down the quality again.  Maybe the content of your videos doesn't demand detailed video.

I've been exporting video animations from 2018 Revit which exports uncompressed AVI files.  There have detailed objects, lines, edges, materials, and even masses of points in these videos.  These were never a problem in years past.  They are definitely a problem for Premiere Pro and AME now.   Why should I need handbrake when I have Adobe Media Encoder and Premiere semi-pro?  I'm saddened by this development.  If I could install a version of Premiere from years ago there would be no trouble. Why have they created a new problem for us?  Now I need to start trialing other video software to see who still gets the job done.  Meanwhile I have to figure out better settings to choose in Handbrake to continue getting my own job done in a passable way.  This is less a rant to the "adobe folks who don't frequent here", and more a suggestion to everyone here that maybe it is time we drop this video software completely so they understand what they've been doing to our days.  It's not like we are acting like spoiled children about these things.  These are products we pay for that once worked, and yet no longer work well because of what they have chosen to do - or not do.  They should be listening when these things create major problems and move to correct, not ignore and have others suggest other video programs to work around them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 08, 2019 Apr 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can set Handbrake to lossless (placebo) in the settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 09, 2019 Apr 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Ann.  I did find the slider settings and your suggestion helps confirm the oddly named Placebo choice for best quality/slowest conversion.  So yes we can get a decent .mp4 from it if you aren't concerned with the file size of your base video and I am not.  I did find it a little harder to get as small of a final .mp4 output from AME using that as a base.  I may need to trial and error that a little more.  I still find it ridiculous we need to get a third video app just to transcode an uncompressed AVI.

Adobe Media Encoder

"Import failure:  The source file appears to be corrupted.  Please check that it is a valid file."

Handbrake

"hold my beer for 30 seconds"

What Premiere and AME should say is, "We forgot to program in the ability to recognize many AVI packaged videos you used to be able to import. You must be operating outside our tiny box of action cam video and for something other than social memes.  Go find another video application to do this for you and then please come back.  Until then, check out our new content aware fill feature.  Maybe you can fill your empty timeline using that."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used VLC Media Player to convert the .avi file to .mp4

Download, install, and open VLC Media Player app

Click File > Convert > New Window will appear

1. Add file

2. Choose profile

3. Choose Destination

4. Save

All done!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2022 Apr 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is the easiest and most correct answer on here. It took me less than 2 minutesw to download, install, and then convert. DO NOT try to use handbrake as one user suggested. It did not work and actually messed with my system. It is designed for windows 8 so if you have any version of windows that is newer the handbrake option does not work - but it does now try to load EVERY time I start my computer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 01, 2021 May 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everybody.

zotosv--, I hear ya there... It would be great if they never removed a functionality.  However, that's not exactly a feasible solution for an ever evolving software package, especially one that's recently recoded the engine-packaging handling the work behind the scenes to make use of advanced binary RISC processing built for video (and of course, they did it just as this RISC set came onto the market, to offer more functionality).

Hope is not lost.  In an effort to provide some backward compatibility, they have made it possible to use CS6 in conjunction with the latest CC.  This was originally meant as a stopgap measure to provide users with Encore Disc Authoring, and for those who worked often enough with it, Dolby DTS or Pro Logic sound (which was still in license at the time; as outlined by a recent civil case).  However, by including this capability, they also enabled the use of codecs dating back to CS3.  If it was availiable in CS3, it *should* work with CS6, and you can *possibly* make your initial recodes with AME CS6.  The problem is where to download a copy, and where to get a key to install it.  This function has become sought after and any retail copies left are being sold off at high prices.  Shop around.

You *might* get away with a trial install, and a linking to the adobe CC webcloud.  If you have a retail key, find a download somewhere, and install the software.  It will be mostly 32bit, and a little slow on your new machine (the binary instruction sets have to be translated rather than simply run).  You will also want to make sure you are running all the EXE files in the folders as Administrator.  I've had this come up several times as the issue with Adobe software.  Also, some antivirus are now stopping some of these from running unless you explicitly "trust" them in the Antivirus.  My installed software has this issue lately.

I can also confirm that AVI was a codec provided by DIVX, not by apple.  Apple was able to encode AVI using the basic encoder they purchased from DIVX, but they only bought the basic wrapper, not the inner working.  Older versions of this are not fault tolerant.  If there is any sync issue at all or any variance in frames, your sound will be off sync, among other issues.  However, I can confirm that newer copies of the divx encoder, which make use of the matroska wrapper, fix this variance, and do so capably.  They also have a very fast algorithm for slight enhancement to older video, which I found from an old TMNT VHS rip.  Ahh the 80's synthoid rock and roll theme songs...  That was quality.

I hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines