• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't playback video on external monitor on MacBook M1 Max

Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mercury Transmit isnt working. There isn't a video device listed in the prefernce panel for playback. I am outputting Premiere via HDMI to external display. I can see a mirror of Premiere but want to see the program monitor on the external screen. Is this feature supported in Apple Silicon. Mercury playback is greyed out in Project settings.

TOPICS
Error or problem , Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Carlos,

Thanks. I have the Mercury Transmit preference enabled ( as per the article). My problem is that the settings for the video device devices are missing? Not sure why, unless it's not supported yet in Apple Silicon. See the screenshot below..

Richard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't back this up with illustrations ( would take a really long time ) but this is what I think is going on with your problem.

a) video monitor is often used to describe 4 things...

1) reference monitor ( also called production video monitor)

2) computer monitor ( usual simple computer monitor )

3) a cross breed computer monitor via a special interface ( can be eizo color calibrated with SDI input )

4) TV

with the reference monitor you will ONLY see what the program monitor video shows you from your NLE.

In, other words, it is the full screen of your program monitor and NO OTHER UI stuff.  Just the full video image.

That is called a production monitor or reference monitor.

please google video monitors at B&H and click on production monitors and you will see samples of this stuff.

ALL the other stuff mentioned above, using an NLE program will show you the entire UI unless you use the option to expand the program monitor to FULL SCREEN.

Typically, a reference monitor ( a real video monitor ) with SDI and other type inputs (cb, etc.) are through a special interface installed on your desktop editing computer or directly from your camera using an HDMI to SDI converter. You can't do this from a laptop. It's impossible.

hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Thanks for taking the time to discuss the video monitor settings.

This used to work for me on my desktop machine, going out via HDMI to the same HDTV monitor. I believe it's a software issue possibly to do with M1 integration.

Richard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 18, 2022 Feb 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

Could you try Premiere Pro in Rosetta mode and see if that helps? https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT211861

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Kartika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2022 Feb 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kartika,

Thanks for the information. I am uisng the latest version of Premiere and I checked via the finder and it is the Intel version of the app. I am pretty sure that Rosetta was installed as I recall it automatically downloading it when I opened something requiring it. Should I reinstall Premiere? When I set up this computer I cloned everything from other machine, so perhaps there's something missing? Certainly, there's no mention of Adobe Monitor X – perhaps because I'm using an HDTV rather than a monitor via HDMI. This used to work before on my 2013 MacPro.

Kind regards

Richard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2022 Apr 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have finally solved the output issues I had in February. I installed the Apple Silicon version of Premiere that was released last week ( April 11th 2022). I discovered that there is an adobe creative cloud icon in the lower left hand corner. This has a 'sync settings button' with my account. When I clicked on that, it installed two monitor options in the video device panel. I enabled the one that corresponded with my external monitor (an HDTV) and hey presto, I was able to see my timeline output on that monitor. You might also need to make sure that the mac is set up through the display prefernces to have a dual monitor set-up ( once connected via HDMI, you will see that there are 2 screens visible in the preference panel). I am using the lastest version of Monterey 12.3.1. I hope this helps someone else. It's obviously not a calibrated external monitor as it's an HDTV, but for a video preview, it serves my purposes.

Regards

Richard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What a random workaround, but it worked! Thank you so much, Richard. You saved the day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines