• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't Relink AE Linked Comps (or...Adobe Customer Support Sucks)

Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2017 Oct 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've long been familiar with Premiere's habit of having linked AE comps be offline each time I open the Premiere project, but relinking them all usually isn't hard, it just takes some time to let Premiere do its thing if there are a lot of them.  In this case I have a project with a large number of comps linked to only two different AE projects.  It had been working fine, aside from the aforementioned issue of the comps being offline every time I opened the project.  Today when trying to relink them - same way I always do, clicking on each of the two bins containing the linked comps, Link Media, pointing to the .aep, etc. - Premiere freezes and gives me the beach ball.  Nearly two hours screen sharing with support and...nothing.  Support suggested it was a problem with the AE project, because it could not be imported into a fresh Premiere project either.  Importing via Dynamic Link, you click on the .aep and no compositions appear for you to choose to import.  Everything was a dead end.  But when I finally asked the question - how do two .aep files suddenly get "corrupted" at the same time? - he bailed from the support session.  Seriously.  Just left.  Also dodge my previous question as to whether he thought a clean install would help.  Waited several minutes for a response, asked the question about the projects going corrupt simultaneously and then went ahead and began the Cloud Cleaner process, which is when he bailed.

What a company this is.  The software.  The support.  All absolute —.  And knowing us fools will keep paying for their — platter of a software suite because if we don't, we can't open old projects.  FCPx ain't looking so bad right about now.  , Magix Movie Edit Pro 2004 is a bit tempting at this point - wonder if I still have that in a drawer somewhere.

Moderator warning: Please do not use profanity. It is against our community guidelines.

[Profanity removed by moderator]

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 16, 2017 Oct 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi NickMicheal,

Sorry for the negative experience you had with dynamic link and also with our support agents. I think you should have been treated much better. I do hear complaints of agents disconnecting way to quickly—before ensuring our customers have been helped. It's rude, I think. I'm trying to improve that situation, so I'll look into your case.

About the problem at hand, it sounds like you did experience a corruption with one or more projects of some sort. It's a bit hard to determine exactly what happened there.

Do you have any backups of these projects you had trouble with? Is Auto Save engaged? Can you check your Creative Cloud folder?

If there's anything more I can help with, let me know.

Regards,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 17, 2017 Oct 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for taking the time to respond.  Although I believe I have ruled out corruption with the AE files because they still open and function perfectly fine on their own.  When I opened the Premiere project today, all the comps (each one an animated icon we use a lot through this series of projects, so there are about 600 of them) were online.  However at one point some of them began going offline while in the middle of working.  And my attempt to relink brought the same result as yesterday - Premiere freezing, me having to Force Quit, and getting the "Premiere Pro encountered a serious error" blurb.  Since the projects themselves are fine, it seems it must indeed be a Dynamic Link issue.  The agent I chatted with did bring this up at one point I believe -- the missing piece of the puzzle is what to do about it, which he never got to.  And that brings about my main complaint with Adobe's support staff.  While I did find it a bit rude for him to leave the session after I asked questions suggesting trying other things that were contrary to his opinion (or merely just asking his opinion of my idea to try this or that) what is much more egregious is that I spent more than 2 hours with him, most of that time spent watching him control my computer, to absolutely no avail.  Bottom line, it's the lack of knowledge. 

And, to give another example, sometimes that lack of knowledge leads to the user being blamed for something not working.  About two weeks ago I chatted with support because changes made inside multicam sequences were not showing in the main timeline.  In this case the change was the Camera 2 track having been turned off in a previous session and being turned back on to, naturally, restore Camera 2 as a multicam option.  But despite the track being on when viewing the sequence in a timeline and the video enabled and visible onscreen, switching back to the main timeline, Camera 2 remained black in all clips sourced from that multicam.  After more than a half hour with the agent, his ultimate conclusion was that it wasn't working because I hadn't used the "Create Multicam Sequence" option in the Project Panel but, rather, had loaded all 2-camera interview footage into a sequence, round-tripped that to PluralEyes 4 and back, and then nested sets of clips, then enabled those as multicam sequences.  How it got to the point of me describing my workflow in detail I don't know, but once he heard PluralEyes he latched onto that and said that is was because I used a third party sync solution rather than the built-in one, and that since this was an issue was a third-party program, he wouldn't be able to help me.  Of course anyone who uses Premiere regularly (and the people who built it) would know that it shouldn't matter how you got your clips into the sequence and lined up with one another, bottom line is if you have clips on multiple tracks in a sequence, make that sequence into a multicam, and then use that as a source, any changes you make in the sequence are reflected in all instances of it.  If only support had a fraction of this knowledge.

I'm left wondering if this is because the subscription model has opened the suite up to less experienced, more casual users and that support is geared mainly toward helping hobbyists with only the most basic troubleshooting - a large number of agents with minimal knowledge making up the frontline of the support army, which works out fine for folks with simple issues, but us professionals need to muscle through this barrier, waste hours in chats with people who know very little and essentially be "vetted" (is our problem serious enough?) before ever being put through to a higher level of support -- if such a thing exists. I actually do not know, because even after 2 hours and 10 minutes, the agent i chatted with yesterday didn't offer to pass me on to someone else...he just left.

Rant over.                For now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. 2 times 2 hours with 2 reps and with a higher level agent. Nothing. They promised to call me back today, but I doubt they will have a solution so i have to figure it out myself. It is going on for 3 days now being on a deadline it is pretty stressful.... Have you found any solution yet? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 20, 2017 Dec 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think ultimately my project just spontaneously started working again - not that that helps.  But no, I never got a clear answer from support about why this would happen.  If you don't have a large number of AE comps in your project, perhaps you could import the comps/drag them in from the AE window and, assuming they appear online and that it doesn't give you the beach ball, you could then Option-Drag each one onto it's old counterpart in the timeline to replace them.  Sucks but that's what we perpetually pay $50 a month for I guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 20, 2017 Dec 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I also just also learned from the video below that drag and drop is actually not the correct way to do this. But for sure the quickest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eScXX54EZEc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 08, 2022 Dec 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Getting the same problem today on an older project I'm reworking.  Downloaded complete project from my archives with all the .ae files etc.  The Ppro project and AE files had to be updated to work with latest version of their apps, but I did and saved down.  However, it's impossible to relink the AE files back into the project.  They're currently showing as "offline".  When I "Relink Media" everything freezes up.  I've tried importing the AE file directly into the project, also freezes everything up.

Not sure what to do next, really CBA to rebuild the project from scratch.

Regards, aTomician

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2023 Aug 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had a simmilar issue. I saved the AE project as a copy 22.x version, then opened and updated the project to the version I had installed, and my premiere project was then able to connect to the linked comps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines