Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't reposition/resize in Premiere when i double click the program monitor

Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2018 May 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey you guys!

I can't drag/resize a clip in my program monitor when I double click it, which used to always work. I was thinking maybe there's a new button I've not heard of or something? The only time double clicking the program monitor to reposition a clip actually works is when I double click (on the program monitor) the shot I want to reposition and then scroll over to another clip, double click it (on the program monitor), then come back to the clip I actually want to reposition and double click it (on the program monitor). I've reinstalled premiere a bunch of times and I've also switched back and forth from using "mercury playback engine gpu acceleration (cuda)" to "mercury playback engine software only" under my project settings and the issue persists no matter what.

It's been a while I've had this problem and I can't stand it anymore so I thought I'd just ask all my fellow editors out there.

Thanks so much, have an awesome day!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2018 May 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

Just select your clip from the timeline, then click on 'Motion' in the Effect Controls panel,

this will highlight your clip in the Program Monitor where you can drag/resize

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this and it doesn't work, the problem persists. It doesn't actually give me the chance to drag/resize a clip until I've done exactly what I said before. Glad other people could find it helpful though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you can share your workflow we can offer better help

can you send a small quick video on what's happening ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ADOBE premiere double clicking problem - YouTube

In the video you can see I double click the video and try to drag it around but it only works when i double click another clip and then come back and double click the original clip. The same thing happens when I click "motion" in effect controls.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sequence - selection follows playhead

maybe this makes it easier ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2018 May 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try this and see if it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

going to sequence - selection follows playhead still doesn't do anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it doesn't select the clip where your playhead is automatically ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue, I just went to workspaces and reset to saved layout and Ta da!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2020 May 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having that issue now, after deleting cache to fix another problem. I am hating Premiere now. I have a deadline tomorrow and i am stuck. One clip won't match up with the sound and i can't click a clip from the timeline to change its size easily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 17, 2020 May 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what you mean by "size" in matching with audio. Do you mean length?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, had the same problem and this fixed immediately!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I was having the same issue, whereby I needed to enlarge an image to fit the screen. If you select the clip and head to Effect Controls, underneath there you can head to 'Scale' and increase/decrease the percent. This doesn't help with dragging the clip around though, unfortunately. Perhaps you can adjust that by using the 'Position' feature just above 'Scale'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2022 Dec 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing happened to me. This worked: Close any open projects. Go into Preferences / Media Cache. There, hid Delete on "Remove Media Cache Files". Next, select "Delete all media cache files (requires restart).

Once you restart, hopefully you'll be able to doubleclick in the timeline window and resize your video. In my case, I have to double click twice in the window but it works. Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2022 Dec 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked for me but then a few minutes later it isn't working again. dangit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2023 May 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me thanks so much!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was just having the same problem. I quit, and re-opened Premiere. That worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2023 Feb 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WHere is Adobee on this topic, do they monitor these comments?

SOme of thesee suggestions work like restarting (sometimes) but the same prob happens again. I do notice that this happens when I accedentially double click on the timeline clip as as to bring it up in the sourcee window, then Im not able to double click and resize/crop/rotate, etc. HELP!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 11, 2023 Feb 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This forum has been primarily user to user assistance with monitoring and participation by some product support staffers.

Things like this often have multiple ways we can get the behaviors, and yea, going through a list of how people have dealt with this is the primary troubleshooting process.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, I just started getting this with the latest version of Premeir Pro. 

Literally doubles the length of time it takes me to edit a video. The issues comes and goes like the tides. 

Sometimes going to effects => motion makes them appear again, but it only lasts a minute or so. Sometimes this doesn't work and I need to use the numerical sliders to change the scale and position.

The other solutions mentioned in this thread don't work. Again, it comes and goes like the tides. Sometimes resetting premeir pro works, and sometimes it doesn't. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2023 May 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a workaround. I made a keyboard shortcut (Shift C) Activate Direct Manipulation in Program Monitor. I hit that and then the clip is highlited in the program monitor and I can click and move or resize there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2023 Jun 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent, works, thanks! Massive time saver

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2023 Jul 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This worked, thank... but I think it's completely f**king ridiculous that on "industry standard" software users have having to build their own keyboard shortcuts just to use a double click feature that a few years ago worked just fine. 

My workflow is steadily slowing down on Prem purely through the constant need to troubleshoot bugs and build clunky workarounds.

Thank god for DaVinci Resolve. Slowly moving my workflow over to that platform, can't wait to never return to Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines