• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can you import an EDL (with timecode)

New Here ,
Sep 23, 2022 Sep 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heres my situation. I'd like to 'recreate' an edit that I did 30 years ago with Betacam SP tapes (about 40 tapes).

What I have - the Betacam tapes transferred to digital with original timecode numbers embedded (VITC).

A paper EDL.

Is there a way I can type up my existing EDL (In some form or format) with the tape names (in my case they are numbered) and then take all the footage and this newly typed-up EDL and have Premiere Pro assemble this in the sequence? Rather than me having to do each edit by hand (even with the numbers I feel like this would be quite an undertaking)

Basically, it would be something like this -

TAPE                 IN                        OUT

12                04:14:12:02            04:14:50:03

And so on (for over 700 edits!)

thanks ahead of time!

l mccleery

TOPICS
Editing , How to , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 26, 2022 Sep 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lawrence,

Have you tried importing the EDL? If you PM me the EDL or a portion of an EDL, I can test it for you if it is not working. Documentation still indicates that you can here: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/importing-sequences-clip-lists-libraries.html

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 26, 2022 Sep 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was actually the way you had to work when you went in to an online with a handwritten list from your "offline" edit.   I developed a pretty sophisticated workflow to get an edl onto a 9" floppy disk and then get it to load onto an online edit controller.  Online editors would sneer at me and resist loading the edl until they realized that they didn't have to spend all day typing in numbers...  EDL's have a number of different possible formats so the simplest solution might be for you to export an edl from premiere and match the formatting.    Pay close attention to drop frame and non dropframe issues (happy to go in to the specifics of this).    Also, there's a very basic issue with edls.  Not even sure I can explain it properly - it's late here in NYC.  The "out" timecode on the record side needs to match the next "in" timecode.  the "out"  timecode in the edl is the timecode for the frame following the last frame that's included in the edit event...  This is true for both source and record timecodes, but it's easily seen on the record side.  If you have a match edit on the source side, it will also be clear.  Is your head spinning?  Not an easy concept to get your head around.  If you want I can export an edl to illustrate this... 

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The info is much appreciated. I would certainly appreciate seeing the example. Thanks Much!

I also think I get where you are coming from with the 'head spinning. I was kind of thinking that there wouldn't have to be anything on the record side - just thought that the 'play' side would just stack the clips. Seems like a lot more time code math than I thought!  But yeah please do send the sample and I will also take a look at an EDL export and see if I can crack the code that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines