• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot apply crossfades between clips.

Community Beginner ,
Dec 22, 2017 Dec 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had this problem frequently over the past few months. Trying to drag and drop a crossfade between 2 clips and it will only apply it's self to one clip. I have tried clicking on the clips, selecting both, making sure there is no space between the clips. I end up usually having to do a work around that's not the same by putting them on different tracks and fading them over top of each other. I also have these same problems blending audio clips. I believe I have "tried everything" and I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

On a recent pair of clips, I applied the crossfade and it went over the 2 clips but on the former clip the transition was longer than the latter clip and I could not make it longer. At all. It was fixed at the size it was and could not be stretched.

I don't know what to do.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 22, 2017 Dec 22, 2017

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may be related to whether or not you have adequate 'handles'. Those are unused bits of media at the ends of clips, and are what most of the cross-fades use to blend across the edit point ... if you don't have "extra" media of the clip past the out point of the first clip or before the in point of the second clip, there's nothing for a cross-dissolve to fade in/out of.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2021 Jul 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are we talking crossfading audio?  Or cross-dissolving/transitions between video clips?  Because the answers have to do with video, not audio. 

I have the issue of not being able to apply a crossfade between audio clips.  And it does not have to do with inadequate handles, as I am trying to cut, say, a 5 second piece out of a sequence, and crossfade a few hundred milliseconds between the resulting audio.  It won't even let me drop it on either of the clips sometimes.  The problem seems like a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2021 Jul 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Handles apply to both video and audio.

There is no report of any bug. Works fine on my side.

Milliseconds is 3 digits, audio samples 5 digits.

Just drop the transiton and them adjust. Default frames or seconds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2021 Jul 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Ann Bens -

The issue I am having is that when I drag the transition over the audio clips.  I made a screen recording which demonstrates the problem.  In the attached video, I demonstrate that there is plenty of handles on each clip audio to make said transition, but nonetheless, I am unable to drag a transition on top of either side of the clips.  This happens whether my Timeline display is set to audio units or frames.  I have also attached a screen cap of my Timeline preferences which includes default audio transitions.  Are you referring to those settings when you say the following?

Milliseconds is 3 digits, audio samples 5 digits.

Just drop the transiton and them adjust. Default frames or seconds.

Best,

Billy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh. Not seeing this on my end. Try resetting preferences.

FAQ: How to reset (trash) preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That did not solve the issue, unfortunately.  The behavior is the same.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version?

If 15.2 and older: there is an issue with nested audio, which causes strange behavior: delete from timeline or disable Show Audio Waveform.

Fixed in 15.4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2021 Jul 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, I was on 15.2 - I told ya it felt like a bug haha!  

I am updating now to 15.4 and will report back if the issue persists.

Thanks for your help Ann!

Billy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2021 Jul 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: The issue persists after updating to 15.4, as described above.

FWIW I am on Windows 10 machine, am using VST plugins on the tracks (although I tested without), and often make edits like this where I extend the audio past the video and vice versa.  Not sure if this effects the issue or not, just guessing at this point.  

Best,

BB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anne - since this original question  is marked as "Solved", but my issue is not, should we migrate this thread to a new post?  Is that possible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another bug I am having premiere. As usual, there is no fix for this even 4 years later. This issue will pop up randomly whenever it feels like it, adobe will ignore the issue, and the adobe ghouls will try to invalidate your experience by saying "I'm not having this issue so it's a you problem".

Yay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't say whether you checked to make sure you have handles on the adjacent ends of the two clips. That is the most common problem child for this issue. If you have handles sufficient for the cross dissolve and it's still not applying it, that's definitely a problem somewhere.

And I don't know how many times people who've complained about this finally realized ... they didn't actually have handles available. They finally post a screengrab and ... gee ... there's either one or two little triangles on the upper corner of the clips.

There have been a few ... but a very few ... where this wasn't the case. If it isn't the case for you, that is definitely useful data, and wrong behavior by PrPro.

And by the bye, when troubleshooting, noting whether any particular other machine is having the same issue is useful data point. Not ghoulish at all ... simply useful data. You need to drill down to what specifically is causing something which is happening on only a (relatively) few machines.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil - check out the the full discussion if you haven't.  Handles are not the issue in this case which makes it different than similar issues.

Best,

Billy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've read the full discussion ... and when someone 'new' pops in, without giving their full details, there's no assumptions that work.

As to your case, where it's only with audio clips it seems ... yes, it would be good to make a new post. On the main forum page, near the top on the right, a big blue button, "Post to community".

Include your system, the media, the VSTs, and any other effects in your post so we can see the whole scope of the problem.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2022 Nov 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

November 2022 - This is driving me nuts- amd it does seem to be a bug. There is plenty of extra media iat the cut point- plenty of media for crossfades, handles, etc. For context, I've simply cut out an "umm" and brought the two clips together. Premiere refuses to allow a transition or crossfade. DOH! I'm on a Mac running Catalina OS 10.15.7 nand Premiere v 22.6.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would be a royal pita. Wow.

Out of curiosity, how many frames cut available for handles, and what's the framerate of the sequence?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's standard braodcast material- audio 29.97 progressive with audio at 48 kHz. There is literally 20 minutes of footage on either side of the cut point. It's from a 40-minute interview. All I did was cut out some "ums" and "yeahs"- standard stuff, which usually works fine- but not right now. I'm going to try the trash preferences/clean cache, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But how many frames were cut each time? To do a cross- ... say 1/2 second each side ... that would need a total of a second, essentially 30 frames, be cut out to work.

So that's why my question.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Methinks the problem is because there's a tiny millisecond or so gap bewtween the two clips, which I can't get rid of. No matter what I try, Premiere doesn't want to let me close the gap on a few clips, even if I remove the video (and turn snapping on/off or alter other audio options). But to answer your question:

The number of frames/seconds in the edits vary from about 75 frames to several seconds. Ive got close to 100 audio cross dissolves throughout the 1.5 hour timeline, which are fine. There are just a few clips that don't want to fully connect, no matter what trimming I apply to them.

Best

- Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wow, that would be frustrating. When I've had things like it wouldn't let me move something where I wanted, it's been a cross-problem with a different track or something. And sure wasn't obvious to me.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines