• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot Eject Removable Media

Engaged ,
Jan 22, 2017 Jan 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is mostly just a curiosity rather than a complaint or an issue, but I'm just wondering.  Whenever I have Adobe Applications such as Adobe Premiere Pro or Adobe Audition opened, I've noticed that Windows will refuse to let me safely eject flash drives or SD cards that are plugged in, but as soon as these applications are closed, Windows will allow me to.  It doesn't matter what type of removable media I have inserted; this is always the case.  I'm not quite sure why this happens though; obviously these programs can access the removable media to save files to it if necessary, but that's through the a Windows dialog box. I'm not sure why Windows won't actually let me safely eject the removable media whenever Premiere is open.  Does anybody have an explanation?

I'm running:

Windows 10

Premiere Pro CC 2015.3

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

PPro Browser will have recognised the Card as a "potential source".  You will see it listed in the Media  Browser.

effectively ...Media Browser is "using" the Card just like explorer or Finder.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro might be holding open as an "accessible location".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you transferring your media to a local hard drive before importing it to PPro ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Typically that's the scenario but occasionally there are other reasons as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but occasionally there are other reasons as well.

??? explain plz

If the cards are being used as a source for the files...PPro will hold on to them  as "being in use"

Its bad practice and high risk to work from the source cards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I never import the footage directly from the card.  I always copy the footage into a folder on the local drive and import the media into Premiere from the folder.  So Premiere doesn't actually import any footage directly from the card / flash drive.

The reason that I may have a removable media in the computer could be for some completely unrelated reason, such as to view a document.  I'm typically forgetful and realize that I need to eject it at some point later in the day, perhaps when I have Premiere open.  Even though Premiere hasn't imported anything directly from it, Windows won't allow me to eject it safely until after I close Premiere.  The same holds true for several other Adobe products as well, such as Audition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PPro Browser will have recognised the Card as a "potential source".  You will see it listed in the Media  Browser.

effectively ...Media Browser is "using" the Card just like explorer or Finder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 27, 2017 Jan 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just as a bit of personal experience ... I've been a portrait photog for 38 years, went digital back in 2003. I don't even have a clue how many times we have uploaded images from Fuji S1, S2, S3, S5, Nikon D200, D300, D600, D3, and Panny GH3, and other cameras using either compact flash or SD cards. Many thousands, as both my wife and I are photographers. I also do video.

In all that time, we have never "ejected" a card from the Windows tray icon. Not once. Once the upload is complete, we just pull the card.

We have never had issues with cards nor with file writing of any kind. We've had only one compact flash card go bad that had been used a ton, but of all the cards we've had, even our old 128 and 256 megabyte cards are still usable. Sitting around in a drawer. Though of course, they're so slow and 'small' they're pretty much useless.

Most of my peers are like me. I know a few that read someplace that there could be issues. I've never encountered one, nor has my wife (who can attract problems on her pc for me to solve quite regularly ... ), nor any of the peers I've talked with. The guys that always "eject" their cards say they have heard of someone who had an issue, but as they always properly eject, they've never had one.

I don't even have a clue what the issue would supposedly be. Clearly, it is far more of a theoretical concern than a normal operating problem.

But of course, everyone's mileage always varies.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generally I agree with you and have found the same regarding popping the cards out with out ejecting them.

Thing is it a terrifying thing to do knowing you have a 165, 20,30,40+k  shoot sitting on one little card.

I teneded to be very formal with those.!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When we're uploading the images from a wedding, you don't think that's a moment of ... concern? Which is why our uploading for that is to multiple locations ... with verification. After that, the card gets reformatted anyway ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 28, 2017 Jan 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've already lost three cheap flash drives in my experience.  Windows won't even let me re-format them or anything; they're completely useless now.  Of course, they were indeed cheap and I can't guarantee that the fact that pulling them out with ejecting safely is what really caused them to go bad, but I'm just always careful now because I have some drives / cards I can't afford to lose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 28, 2017 Jan 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've never formatted flash memory cards via Windows, but only via the cameras they're used in. We don't "delete" files on them, we always re-formatted.

And we learned the old hard-knocks way that cheap memory cards ... you pays your money, you takes your chances ... check the online reliability factor on any card first. Some modest price cards have very good user experience, some expensive cards don't. Reliability however does seem to favor the cards to the middle/upper end of the scale.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines