• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot open any of my recovered project files (Premiere Pro)

New Here ,
Nov 21, 2021 Nov 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I deleted my entire premiere pro autosave folder on my computer hard drive and used Recuva to get the files back. Now I am faced with the error "This project appears to be damaged. It cannot be opened." I am on Windows 10, I've tried importing the project inside a new project and that hasn't worked. I have no idea how to go about accessing my projects again. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Moderator moved from Using the Community (forums) to Premier Pro.]

So sorry for your loss.  Do you keep dedicated file backups on Cloud drives?  I use Backblaze cloud backup and recovery service.  A+++

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, I do not have any cloud backups 😞 will definitely do this in the future though. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2023 Mar 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello my friend, i have the same problem. Did you find a solution for yours?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 06, 2023 Mar 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Leopold,

Sorry. Have you tried searching your drive? Use .pproj as a string for your search.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2023 Mar 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there! So what happened to me is that i sadly i deleted everything that has something to do with my Premiere Pro Project by mistake..

I recovered as many files as possible with a Recovery Software. But i think that all the data that i recovered (some more autosaves of the project and other stuff) is damaged.
Im sending you the Folder with all the recovered data which have something to do with this Premiere Pro project. Maybe you find at least one useful piece of information that helps to recover the original file. DOWNLOAD: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/rg94e7s089tquhwqrz2r2/h?dl=0&rlkey=ideb05bde0rrfkl9werunjr1e

If you can help me out then please private message me! I would be open to pay you for this or do anything else. This Project means so much to me because i am sitting over a month on this so it's hard for me to accept that it's all gone 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Leopold,
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Have you tried inspecting your Creative Cloud folder for a backup? If you enabled it in Preferences > Auto Save, a copy should still be there. Let us know if you find one there.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I sadly didnt activate this option so there are no Backups in the creative cloud 😞
The only way to repair it is somehow through the folder of files that i have sent you above. Could You maybe send this to some professionals from your team? That would be awesome..! Thanks so much! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

Sorry to hear that. Please contact support to see if they can help first, if you don't mind. They are trained to see if the file is viable or not. Let us know what they say. I hope we can help see you through this problem.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Leopold, sorry man, I took a look and none of the ones I saw were actually project files. They have the strange same size to all of them, and are not filled with project data. 

The key to those file recovery programs is to have tried to recover very soon after the problem, in addition you never want to save anything to that drive before you do the recovery and and save the recovered files to a different drive, don't make any changes to the drive with the problem.

If like Kevin said, you search for .prproj or in Windows for *.prproj, it's your best chance of finding things. 

Are you on Windows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Myerpj, Thank you so much for your Answer! And also thanks for having a look into the files.

Yes i am on Windows 10.
it's meanwhile 4-5 days later so i think all the data is overwritten.
I am also using the tool/application called "everything" to find every single prproj file. I tested every single file that i found of this project - all of them are sadly damaged and i cant open any of them. I checked it even before using the recovery software and there was no prproj with the name of the project found. So yes... i guess there is absolutely no project left to try. Only way to solve this is by repairing the broken/damaged project SOMEHOW.. but that's (as you said) probably impossible 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

First off - you actually answered what would have been my next comment if you were on Windows. "Everything" is the software closest to perfection I have ever used for finding files. And it's free, (but do give a donation after you've seen how well it works).

https://www.voidtools.com/

So, that helps you find any existing files extreemly well.

When Windows 'deletes' a file, it really just hides the file, that's why it's in the Recyle Bin, even if you hold shift while deleting a file, the info is still on disk, but Windows now has permission to use that disk space. What recovery software does is look at those areas and try to find whole files, which does work well at times, but under the conditions I laid out above.

When I've had that problem, I only every use that drive again for storage of say installs that I don't think I need any more, etc.. If you deleted the file yourself, then you can use that drive of course, but not before you try to recover.

I've used Recuva before. https://www.ccleaner.com/recuva

If you find something else, let us know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines