Canon 1DX Mark II 4K Color Matrix Conversion

Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Canon 1DX Mark II records 4K color information as follows:

YCbCr 4:2:2 (8-bit)

ITU.R BT.601

The color looks great in the camera, but when I place the footage in a timeline the colors begin to shift. I'm assuming it's because the Working Color Space for the sequence is Rec.709.

What is the best way to convert this Rec.601 footage into a Rec.709 Color Space? Or is there another way to approach this fix.

Thank you.

TOPICS
Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A lot of the time, for most scenes, most people don't notice much difference between 601 and 709. What the difference mainly seems visually from my experience (which isn't that much, not hardly anything works in 601 anymore!) ... is the reds go a bit to the orange and greens tend to desaturate some.

I know a few folks dealing with that who've said precise resetting the white points in Premiere can take care of much of that change. Well, sorta, it can.

For scenes where the red-into-orange is a problem, it's pretty easy to go to the Lumetri Curves tab, and especially if you've got a chip-chart handy to shoot, use the Hue v Hue to remap your color response. Put a control point on the red area, and slide it slightly up or down until they're 'clean' on the Vectorscope, lined up with the Red box.

I do that anyway with all cameras I shoot with. Makes color matching a lot easier.

As to the camera screen ... I work for/with/teach pro colorists. Who have the most accurate displays around, of course.

And they point out that no camera made has an accurate screen for both color & dynamic range, not even the $70,000 Red & Sony rigs. Which is why even with spendy cams, on set they always have a calibrated external monitor for those cams as needed.

I've worked in pro stills for 40 years, video for a decade. Current main cam is a BMPCC4K ... have had Nikon's top DSLR in the past also. Have worked on shoots with Red & Sony cams, Mavic drone ... Canon camcorders. Not a single one ever had an "accurate" image on-cam.

So ... it always comes back to the most accurate color tool you have are your scopes. Unless of course, you have a fully calibrated and profiled Grade 1 Reference monitor (that's a specific class of spendy monitors). And that monitor is fed via a breakout device from BlackMagic or AJ so the signal is not 'touched' by your OS and GPU.

Most of us can't afford that kind of setup though ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil, that is an incredibly detailed response and I really appreciate your wisdom!! Thank you!

I've never worked with 601 before and you're exactly right -- I noticed my reds shifting quite a bit. This was extra exaggerated because what I was shooting had a lot of very bright pink/red colors. The shift was extremely noticable! Thanks for the tips and all the info. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a fun little bit, isn't it? Why on earth they chose 601, I've no clue. Most of the world had moved on to 709 well before that. And I think their next camera was 709.

Haven't dealt with much Canon media over the years, but did get a puzzler from someone a few years back that turned out to be exactly this issue.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even weirder, the 1080p on that same camera is 709. I don't know if it had something to with the codec (M-JPEG for 4k), but it's strange!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That is odd. 601, as a "legacy" thing, was mostly applied to 720 x 4/5-something framesize, and some early 1280x720.

So applied to the 4k is just weird.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines