Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Canon XF705 H.265 HEVC Files

Explorer ,
Nov 30, 2018 Nov 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Wondering when Premiere Pro CC will support the files from this new camera. I anticipate it becoming very popular, like a Sony EX1-EX3.

Right now, only a paid version of Da Vinci Resolve will work with these new files (which I don't have).

Thanks,

Dan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 01, 2018 Dec 01, 2018

Change extension to mpg then it will work.

Edit: in the meantime the codec is now supported.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Canon XF HEVC support is now in Premiere Pro 14.0.

More information on 14.0:

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/whats-new/2020.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro CC supported file formats

...does list HEVC "H.265 media with resolutions up to 8192x4320" as well as being able to work "natively with Canon XF and Canon RAW footage, including footage from Canon Cinema EOS C300 and C500 cameras."

I know it doesn't list your exact combination (HEVC and Canon XF705 specifically), but it sure sounds like there is progress in that direction.

That document was just updated a week ago, so it may be new. Are you on the latest update of Premiere (13.0.1)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.. I thought it would because it accepts the HEVC files from our Mavic Pro II, but I tried the Canon files and nope. Doesn't import them. I can't even view them. And yes latest version of Premiere Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 01, 2018 Dec 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you upload a short clip?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can shortly, thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's check the basics.

1. Copy the full media card over to an internal hard drive.

2. Do not delete, rename, move or otherwise alter the contents of the media card you just copied.

3. Use the Media Browser in Premiere Pro to import the media.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it has to do with I’m still on Sierra, and NOT Mojave.

Latest version of Premiere Pro, but older OS may be the cause

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2018-12-01 at 12.19.47 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change extension to mpg then it will work.

Edit: in the meantime the codec is now supported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann Bens, you are a rock star. Well done. You just saved me $300 from ordering Da Vinci and waiting 3 days to see my footage.

Thank you Can I send you a bottle of wine?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you got it working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 02, 2018 Dec 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ann for the help!

FYI, Canon XF-HEVC (MXF) is not currently supported, but it is on the radar. HEVC MPEG extensions such as .mp4 are currently supported, however.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 06, 2019 Jan 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kind of wondering when this is going to be done.
Any ETA from Adobe on it?

-Robbie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 07, 2019 Jan 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only Adobe knows and they are not telling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2019 Apr 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any further development on this? Can you please advise when Premiere will be supporting the XF-HEVC codec?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2019 Apr 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sold my XF705 on Friday solely because I couldn’t directly edit the files in Premiere Pro. Sad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 25, 2019 May 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May 25th 2019 and still nothing.

Canon released the XF 705 in Sept. of 2018.
EIGHT MONTHS!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 28, 2019 May 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry. This is a format that we want to support, but all that I can say is that it is still under investigation and cannot give an ETA.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 03, 2018 Dec 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As per Ann's advice, switching the extension to .mpg instead of .mxf will allow the files to load into Premiere Pro. However, they are quirky, jumpy and render slowly. If possible, change the extension over to .mpg and then bring those .mpg into Encoder and make them ProRes before editing. Works much faster on the timeline.  Good luck!

Adobe: Please help us utilize this new camera and codec asap! Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 05, 2018 Dec 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for the tips! i also have the new XF705 and same issues as Dan. I found converting to ProRes still gives me jumpy quirky (green flashes?) results.

Dan, is your ProRes playback now uniformly smooth?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shot about 15 test shots on Monday and 12 of them looked great. The other 3 were solid red and never worked properly. Was going to use the 705 on a shoot yesterday, but decided not to, due to it not being 100% reliable right now with Premiere, even after converting to ProRes.

Could spend $300 on Da Vinci Pro, but I’m going to give Adobe another week before I do. I hope I don’t love editing in Da Vinci

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you and I are really in the same boat! Wanted to shoot with it tomorrow but don't feel I can. I did one 2 minute test clip and it's un-useable. Bummer! Do you really think Adobe would/could respond so fast? Hope we don't gotta wait until spring...

Did you update to Mojave? I'm where you are with that too...still on Sierra.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also on Sierra for a couple legacy apps that won't work in High Sierra or Mojave. I'll upgrade if it's mandatory but not until then.

Not sure if we'll have to upgrade the OSX soon, but this shouldn't impact Adobe updating Premiere Pro to read the files.

The fact that by simply changing the extension to ".mpg" and having them readable in Premiere tells me this is an easy fix and hopefully updated sooner than later.

Adobe is using pretty good about updating quickly. They can read every other file straight out of our other Canon cameras (C300 II, C300 I, XC15, 1DX II, 1DC, etc). I think it's just a matter of someone at Adobe focusing on this and getting it done asap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 06, 2018 Dec 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if this would help: Canon XF-HEVC Decoder 1.0 for macOS

It's downloadable from the XF705 support page. Have you tried it?

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/camcorders/professional/xf705?subt...

When I download it, it says "installed" but then I can't find it anywhere in my system...not in applications (where my other Canon utilities load) or in the Utilities folder. Search comes up empty. Where does it reside? Any ideas?

(The same support page also links to Canon XF utility which seems like it could be useful for this issue and downloads as usual and mounts in Applications. There's also an Avid plugin for XF705 HEVC)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2018 Dec 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also in here downloaded XF-HEVC decoder and can't find it, and Canon XF utility 3.4 can't open the MXF from the 705. I tried VLC also without success.. I work on FCPX and I'm on Mojave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines