Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Canon XF705 H.265 HEVC Files

Explorer ,
Nov 30, 2018 Nov 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Wondering when Premiere Pro CC will support the files from this new camera. I anticipate it becoming very popular, like a Sony EX1-EX3.

Right now, only a paid version of Da Vinci Resolve will work with these new files (which I don't have).

Thanks,

Dan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 01, 2018 Dec 01, 2018

Change extension to mpg then it will work.

Edit: in the meantime the codec is now supported.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Canon XF HEVC support is now in Premiere Pro 14.0.

More information on 14.0:

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/whats-new/2020.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 16, 2018 Dec 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am guessing the xf-utitlity works the same for all canon cameras: you have to copy entire card (CONTENTS) to hdd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2018 Dec 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Ann Bens, it worked straight forward from the card reader..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2020 Apr 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 20, 2019 Jan 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update on this? Closing in on 2 months now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 24, 2019 Jan 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, it is still under investigation and I cannot give an ETA.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 24, 2019 Jan 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what you mean by “investigation“?

Its a codec and a format, not a murder mystery.

We just want to edit our files from our Canon video camera. I just bought DaVinci Resolve from B&H for $300 so I can actually access my footage.

To be honest, two (2) months is way too long to make a codec compatible. If DaVinci works great,

I may need to cancel Creative Cloud subscription based solely on the response time from this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2019 Feb 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just got an XF705 and really need Adobe to help out with this issue fast.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2019 Feb 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Officially now over two (2) months waiting for this codec. Best bet is to just pay $300 for DaVinci and use it to encode the files to ProRes.  Then just bring those ProRes files in Premiere.  Sucks to have to pay $300 just to have editing access to your files, but Adobe is moving at a snails pace on making this codec compatible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 22, 2019 Feb 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well...there was a Premiere Pro update today...but unfortunately after all these months...it STILL can't do the Canon xf705 files.

How the hell is it that Resolve had it from day ONE...and the guys at Adobe still can't get it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 22, 2019 Feb 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no idea. I’m on a quick vacation and saw the update on my MacBook. I was like, “Oh wow, they finally made it right. I can finally edit my footage from December natively in Premiere.” This is dog crap.

in my best Chris Farley voice, “Sweet mother of God, what is the holdup?!?!?!”

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2019 Feb 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since two month I use Resolve, because PPro in the last year is so buggy and it is not possible to edit seriously HDR files. In Resolve all of this is no problem, also not the codec of the XF705 and the color grading is much better. May be the good programmers from Adobe work now for BM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How the hell is it that Resolve had it from day ONE...and the guys at Adobe still can't get it.

They're different companies producing different software.  It's not reasonable to expect parallel features and development.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Jim, I disagree. This is ADOBE and CANON we’re talking about. The industry leading software for creative professionals taking 3+ months to accept a new format from an industry leading imaging company, is not an acceptable time frame. Obviously its doable, Adobe’s priorities are just not in Premiere Pro. I’d be bullshit if I worked at Canon and developed this amazing camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, here's some perspective for you.

The Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera was released in 2012.  It uses Adobe's own CinemaDNG format.

Seven years later, and Premiere Pro still doesn't fully support this media.

Resolve does.

You can get emotional about your wants, or you can do what works and get paid.  Editor's choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or I can do both. Spend an extra $300 just to be able to edit my files, and get emotional about shelling about $XXX a month for my team to use Creative Cloud when Adobe should be adapting to a Canon product MUCH faster in 2019

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or I can do both.

A fair point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 26, 2019 Jan 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

$300 Media Encoder

Screen Shot 2019-01-26 at 5.33.18 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 27, 2019 Jan 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dan, are you now editing in Resolve? Or encoding to something, then editing in Premiere? If Resolve is a smooth workflow I might go for it. Have some 4K projects coming up in Feb and I need this camera to work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 27, 2019 Jan 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I need After Effects, Audition, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.. I'll stick with CC for now.

I literally just got Resolve to transcode the files over to ProRes. Then I bring them into Premiere for editing. It's a shame I had to waste $300 to do this. Not sure why Adobe is taking so long.

Resolve (paid version) is the only program that natively supports these files right now.

I will say that it's not a bad editing program either. Really hope Adobe steps up soon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2019 Jan 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I heard from my Canon rep that sold me my XF705s that Adobe and Apple both have updates ready to roll out for PP and FCPX to support this new codec. They're supposedly waiting for mid-Feb to unveil them. I guess more testing..I don't know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cameras have a habit of being sold way before software gets updated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ann, in terms of codecs and formats though, I’ve never had to wait 2 months to edit footage from anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adobe!  For the first time I can remember Canon is leading the market with a flagship camera release.  This codec and capability are cutting edge and this camera is going to be an industry standard workhorse.  Native support in Premiere really should've been lockstep with such a major release.  I'm not a complainer just wanted to let you know that I'm now a DaVinci customer and seriously considering leaving the Adobe ecosystem.  At a minimum you should tell users of the XF705 when to anticipate support in Premiere.  Thank you, TJ Daly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a user to user forum.

If you want Adobe to hear that, go here:

Feature Request/Bug Report Form

and here:

Premiere Pro: Hot (3977 ideas) – Adobe video & audio apps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We don’t know where else to go Bob. I submitted a request through here (2 months ago), then the proper channels (1 month ago).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines