• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Caption not showing in exported file- Premiere 22.5.0 (build 62)

Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2022 Aug 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captions are showing on the timeline, but when I embed them in the video export, they don't show up.  I have been successfully using this process for more than six months, with settings being defined in a custom preset.  I believe the issue started with the most recent update.
I use the internal transcription with audio on track set to "mix," caption preset to either default or CEA-708 default, CEA-708 format created on a visible channel,  and Stream Service 1.
Export is set to, MXF OP1a media format, and captions are set to embedded. 
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

TOPICS
Effects and Titles , Error or problem , Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you testing to see if the captions are present?

The only direct test I did of embeds in 22.5 was both 608 and 708, and that worked okay.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I aopened files using  VLC, QuickTime and Elmedia Player.  The TV station uses their own systems.  None of them showed subtitle available.  That is how I have been checking captions for quite some time.  I encoded (embedded) using 708 and the rest of the settings described above.  I have another friend who is having the same issue, and he works at a local tv station.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still not working for me.  Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I did not reply in August. What happens if you import back into PR with Preferences -> Media -> "Include captions on import" checked? Do you see the captions?

What happens if you use 608 (just for testing)?

Are you still on PR 22.5? I don't think that is the issue; just checking.

Mac or PC? I assume Mac with Elmedia player.

@Kartika Rawat @Trent Happel 

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sent you a dropbox link to a 5 second mxf file that is working for me. PR 23.0.0 (I don't think it matters), 708, Service 1, embed. Imports back to PR with the 708 stream. Shows the captions in Telestream Switch - free version, I can't check them other than to see that they are there.

Media info shows them, with muxing mode: Ancillary data/CDP. There was a problem prior to PR 22.5 where MediaInfo was not showing 708 stream.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response.  I have tried every variation I could think of to test, subtitle, 608, 708, etc.  I saw in previous issues that exporting it to ME was an issue, so I even tried bypassing that.
I will try your file and get back with you (I'm under a time crunch for our political show).  I'll also try your other recommendations and let you know what happens.  Again, thank you so very much for your response!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 09, 2022 Nov 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies for my late reply. Export of 608 and 708 with MXF OP1a in Premiere Pro is also working for us (tried some tests with 22.6.2 and 23.0). Stan covered all the questions I can think of, so curious about your results with files he provided.

The only other thing I would add is if you were exporting from Media Encoder, but your latest comment confirms you are not doing that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Trent.  Thanks for your comment.  I couldn't get the .mxf op1a to work with the captions, even with online Adobe help, so I am temporarily using QuickTime format with 608 protocol. 
While it's working, it's a pain because the station needs to process it twice for it to work.  I'd like to get the .mxf format to work.  I am using Media Encoder for processing, but have tested it direct as well.  I've spent hours online, with Adobe taking over control of the computer, with no other solutions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

BamBam,

Happy New Year! Thanks for following up on this. Did you ever get to test the file I sent? I'm always curious whether there's something down line that creates an issue. The main test was just whether you can see the captions when you import to PR.

@Trent Happel 

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines