• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captioning on Local Device

Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The confidentiality limitations of a new project allow me to create captions for a Premiere Pro audio clip... as long as it does not upload data to the Cloud.

In February of 2022, Premiere added the ability to generate captions locally, so I blocked Premiere from the Internet via Windows Firewall... and captioning works just as well without access to the Cloud.

Unfortunately, I have started getting, "We can't verify your subscription status" messages.

Is it possible to block communication with the Cloud re: speech-to-text, but also permit Premiere Pro access to the licensing servers?

TOPICS
Audio , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

You could temporarily unblock Premiere to verify your subscription. Annoying but its an option.

As far as I know, the Speech to text function is exclusively local now so nothing should get uploaded, even if you are online.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

They absolutely do NOT upload any text to the Cloud ... they don't want the legal liabilities whatsoever. Which is why as soon as they got the process down to the point they could run a 'local service' transcription, they changed to that model.

Notice anytime you do run the transcription service, it says "initializing local transcription" or whatever that phrase is.

As Mike notes, you can disconnect for up to 90 days with an annual subscription before needing to "check in" again. But don't w

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Confirming this again - the current version of Premiere Pro does not upload any data to the cloud for transcribing - all data is processed locally and the results are stored on your local machine only.

You can confirm that your version is using local transcriptions, as Stan mentioned either via the "starting local transcription" progress bar - or via the Creative Cloud Desktop app - via opening the "Addons" option on Premiere Pro - where it should list the language packs used for local transcr

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could temporarily unblock Premiere to verify your subscription. Annoying but its an option.

As far as I know, the Speech to text function is exclusively local now so nothing should get uploaded, even if you are online.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They absolutely do NOT upload any text to the Cloud ... they don't want the legal liabilities whatsoever. Which is why as soon as they got the process down to the point they could run a 'local service' transcription, they changed to that model.

Notice anytime you do run the transcription service, it says "initializing local transcription" or whatever that phrase is.

As Mike notes, you can disconnect for up to 90 days with an annual subscription before needing to "check in" again. But don't worry about the transcriptions ... they simply want nothing to do with our transcripts on their servers.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, Mike and R Neil, for the replies!

What might be be the most effective way of confirming this with Adobe proper? Has it been posted anywhere?  It is fantastic news, but I'd like to confirm it 100% for due diligence's sake.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can read several threads on this on the public beta forum. Understand, a high percentage of the pros using this have even air-gapped systems. And very high requirements for security. Plus you can find comments about it on the Premiere Pro blog.

They also have had managers interviewed about this across several pro web publications.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for these potential leads.  If I cannot locate a credible source at Adobe to confirm local-only-transcription via Premiere Pro, I might have to air-gap a machine as well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Service that provides audio transcriptions for video editing applications. 

adobe.com

adobe.io

adobe-voice.adobe.io

adobe-voice-va7.adobe.io

adobe-voice-nld2.adobe.io

blob.core.windows.net

https://helpx.adobe.com/enterprise/kb/network-endpoints.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A very helpful resource, thank you. My only concern would be that blocking adobe.com would likely also block any subdomains, including licensing.adobe.com, that manage licensing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if your firewall is setup for default deny-all, simply move/allow the rules about activation above the deny all audio transcription - adobe.com. This will let the activation subdomains through while blocking the main domain later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An elegant solution.  Am I naive in hoping that I could just add the activation telemetry to the Authorized Computers tab in the Firewall rule?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Abstractals,

There should be an authoritative statement, but it may not be as specific as you want. The user guide just says that the local device transcription does not need an internet connection. See the "Note" in the section titled "Auto-transcribe your video."

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/speech-to-text.html

Also note that the actual transcript results are stored in the project file, not on your computer or anywhere else. I don't have that as an Adobe statement. I know by having tested it.

@Alexander Riss @Kartika Rawat 

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confirming this again - the current version of Premiere Pro does not upload any data to the cloud for transcribing - all data is processed locally and the results are stored on your local machine only.

You can confirm that your version is using local transcriptions, as Stan mentioned either via the "starting local transcription" progress bar - or via the Creative Cloud Desktop app - via opening the "Addons" option on Premiere Pro - where it should list the language packs used for local transcriptions.

Best regards,

Alexander

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the confirmation, Alexander!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This morning on the Premiere Pro the subtitled section seems unable to create captions. Is this due to an update? The trnascription is working fine, only when I go to make captions, it seems to not be able to produce them. I didn't have an issue with this last week? 

Kind regards

Sharon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines