• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Fixed] Captions burning into video even when not selected to

Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I export a video ( h.264 ) I am selecting to create a sidecar file ( SRT ) on the captions tab , when I export, it does create the SRT file, but it also burns the closed captions into the video. When I select NONE for Caption Export options when exporting, it is still burning the closed captions into the MP4 file.

This is happening on all 23 sequences inside my project file. The only way I can get the captions to not burn in, is to turn off the eyeball on the Subtitle track. Which then requires me to re-render the entire timeline.

This is using Premiere v15.4.1 build 6 . Any thoughts ?

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Mar 07, 2024 Mar 07, 2024

Hi Community,

This bug has been marked as fixed in Premiere Pro 22.1 and later. If this fix is still not working for you, please let us know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
71 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello CaSMITH22,

Sorry! Have you tried what worked for the OP? Create a new project and import the items from the old project into the new one. Let us know what happens.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the follow up, Kevin - but the solution shouldn't be to start a new project. Why is it broken in the first place? This has happened with a few projects now, and it is something within Premiere that is broken. 

Typical trajectory:

- I exported a draft without captions, captions are not burned in. 

- Export draft with caption sidecar - select "export sidecar" - NOT burned in  

- Exported draft has captions burned in, even though it was not selected, but now I have an SRT so I....

- Export again with caption track hidden (eyeball off) so I have a clean file that I can use with the SRT

So, the solution should not be "make a new project" - Adobe should come up with the solution please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi CaSMITH22,

OK, sorry about that. I was under the impression that it was just one project and missed the part where you said it was happening to multiple projects. That's no good. Which format are you exporting to? Can we have a bit more info so I can attempt to reproduce the error? I hope I can help.

Thanks,
Kevin 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin, I ran two tests today - exporting through Premiere's export tab, and through Media Encoder, both using Youtube 1080p HD preset. Both tests, I selected "sidecar," and both tests created a sidecar.... and burned the captions into the mp4. I've attached screen grabs. I also have a two minute video showing both tests, but it's too big of a file to post here. Let me know if you want me to send it another way. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi CaSMITH22,

Can you verify the version you are working with? We cannot reproduce on 22.4.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin - Premiere v22.3.0 build 121

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again, I updated to Premiere v22.4 and it seems to have resolved. Thanks for your assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro 22.5.0 build 62
MacOS Montery 12.5

I'm also having the same issue. I discovered that you can export the .SRT file from the captions tab in the text panel; so I don't have to export the video once just to get the .SRT file. But I still have to toggle OFF the captions layer after exporting the .SRT before I can export the video without burned-in captions.
This is marked as solved but its unclear based on reading the whole discussion:
If I create a new project and copy everything into it, will that solve the issue? Or do I have to replace all the linked AE comps?

BTW; based on this discussion, this is clearly a software bug, so its not great to say it is 'solved' just because a workaround is available that may or may not work for some folks...
Something is happening in the caching or rendering mechanism that is breaking the export options; that needs to be fixed..!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit: My conclusions here are in error. I totally forgot that, using VLC player as my "test," it is set to play captions from an srt file automatically. So the pattern I discovered was that if I had exported srt, then it would appear that the captions were burned in. If I had not yet exported srt, the captions would not appear - and appear not to be burned in. My new conclusion is that 22.5 (and Beta 22.6 and 23.0) are behaving correctly.

Original post: ray, I had not tested this before, and did not see any problem. Your response encouraged me to give it a go. I have confirmed a problem in 22.5. I am confused as to the exact nature of it, however!

This is in a new project, with one short video. I created 3 sequences from it, transcribed each, and created captions.

Sequence 1. Exported with captions "None," no captions in export. Exported with sdiecar, and I get a sidecar, but the export includes BURNED IN captions. Export with captions "None," no captions in export. 

Sequence 2. (Partly wondering, based on this thread, whether the problem will exist for other sequences.) Exported with captions "None," no captions in export. Exported srt from Text Panel (3 dots); sidecar okay. Exported with captions "None," but the export includes BURNED IN captions.

Sequence 3. Same steps as sequence 1; same result.

This is the type of "inconsistent" result that can result in various beliefs about what fixes it or does not. I would first test duplicating the sequence and exporting a (hopefully) clean file.

btw, I have no argument with an answer to a question being marked correct, even if it is simply saying "this is a bug." Solving the underlying bug remains an issue, but the question is answered. And yes, a workaround is a good thing. But it is an extremely unsatisfying answer.

I have not tested yet in Beta,but I plan to.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note that I have edited my previous post. My conclusions were in error. 22.5 is behaving correctly.

(Posting this in case anyone is only looking at emails.)

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2022 Sep 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem 😞

The captions appear on the exported video even if I selected "None" or "Embed in exported file" in the caption export settings. I tried starting up a new project but no more success. It does the same on Media Encoder as well and I just updated to the more recent software versions (PR: 22.6.2 build 2 / ME: 22.6.1 build 2)

Any solution for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And even if the caption tracks "eye balls" are off, they still appear on the program monitor 🤨

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

estellej, thanks for the screenshots; very helpful.

22.6.2 is behaving correctly for me. Your problem may be different from what is being discussed in this thread. But what you are seeing in odd.

The difference is that when other users would turn off the eyeball, the captions would not show in the Program Monitor - even if they then appeared in the export. Yours are showing a) in the Program Monitor with all caption tracks off and b) in the export preview monitor with "None" selected. In the export preview, you should see captions ONLY if "burn in" is selected - not for sidecar, not for embed, and not for burn in IF there are no caption tracks enabled.

I believe there were two problems in this thread: 1) there was a bug that was fixed in 22.4. I could never replicate it, so could not test. 2) I incorrectly believed I had replicated the problem some users reported in 22.5. What I believe happened there was that a) it worked correctly until a sidecar file was exported and b) thereafter, the captions appeared to be burned in even though "None" was selected. What was happening was that the player used to test the file (in my case VLC) was always seeing the sidecar file in the directory with the export (that, in fact, did NOT  have captions burned in) and played them.

I would check a) that the source file does not already have captions (yes, a long shot) and b) delete all previews/cache files and retry.

If that doesn't work, as a test, create a new, simple test project. Add a video and add a couple of captions. Can you turn them off with the eyeball? If yes, can you export without burn in.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just chiming in here to say I am having the same problem. Most sequences export fine, without the captions burned in, some do not. The ones with the sticky captions include imports from the same AE file. The rest do not, so I suspect it's something to do with that.

I'm using v 22.6.2 (Build 2), on Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 02, 2022 Dec 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, are you having the issue in V23?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 03, 2022 Dec 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

valerie,

Thanks for reporting. Interesting.

Do you see the sticky captions in the export preview window?

Is this an AE dynamic link clip? Or an exported file from AE that has been imported to PR. It happens every time with such a file? If you bring in a new AE file, does it happen from the very beginning? Or do you get one good export first?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 13, 2022 Dec 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has come back with 23.1. I have a brand new project that I imported the sequences into and now there is no way to get the video to export without the captions being burned into the video without disabling the caption track.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 13, 2022 Dec 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ghuff,

I'd love to replicate this if there is a continuing issue. But so far, I cannot replicate in 23.1 on Win10. I am seeing the same behaviors that I reported above for 23.0.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/captions-burning-into-video-even-when-not-se...

The primary symptom is that captions are burned into an export even though "None" is selected. In one variation, this would only happen if a sidecar file had been exported first.

How does your process differ from this description of my tests:

If a caption track in the sequence is disabled in the caption track header (eyeball), it results in the Caption button being disabled in the Export settings -  you can't burn in or export sidecar, and no captions show in a) the Program Monitor, b) the Export preview window, and c) the exported file.

If the caption track is still enabled in the sequence, it shows in the Program Monitor. If the Caption button is enabled in the Export settings and is set to burn in, the captions show in the export preview window and in the exported file. If the export settings are set to sidecar, the captions DO NOT show in the export preview window, and are not burned into the exported file. There is a sidecar file exported, and some players (VLC is the one I was using) may automatically detect the file and play the subtitles. If you disable subtitles, they do not show.

If the export caption settings are None, the captions DO NOT show in the export preview window, and are not burned into the exported file. If the name of the file is the same as a previous export of a sidecar file, then some players (VLC is the one I was using) may automatically detect the file and play the subtitles as if they are burned in.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 14, 2022 Dec 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is on macOS Monterray and Ventura. Two different iMacs. In order not to have the captions burned into the video, I have to disable the captions track.

I am using macOS Preview to see the file. It does not automatically load the captions from the SRT, and when I disable the captions, it does not show up on the video even though an SRT is in the same folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Experiencing this issue with MXF exports as well. Cannot nail down anything specific between projects that cause it. Trying a cache flush now and an export direct from Pr instead of Me and will advise but this is super frustrating and wasting a lot of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aflalo,

Thanks for reporting. Let us know what you find.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

18 months on, and still an issue?

This happened the very first time I tried to use Premiere Pro, and I can't seem to get rid of it.

The only solution is to disable the subtitle track of rendering and export it separately. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MetaWrap - just staying updated to the latest version fixed it for me. 

Also, here are Adobe's best practices for updates - it may be helpful for you:

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/best-practices-for-updating-premiere-pro.html

Good luck! As a diehard adobe user since CS2, I've come to understand that the cycle of bugs and updates are just part of the ongoing learning experience - when encountering an issue - first step is to just exit and reopen - and if that doesn't fix it - check for an update. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. This was with the latest version. I started with Premiere 1.0 and have been using my old outright purchased version of CS6 up until now.

There seem to be a *lot* of bugs in this latest edition. 50% of my workflow time was spent finding workarounds for the various issues I ran into. Not very impressed so far. 

I'm hoping this one will be fixed, but it is by far not the worst. 

Votes

Translate

Translate