Captions burning into video even when not selected to

Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I export a video ( h.264 ) I am selecting to create a sidecar file ( SRT ) on the captions tab , when I export, it does create the SRT file, but it also burns the closed captions into the video. When I select NONE for Caption Export options when exporting, it is still burning the closed captions into the MP4 file.

This is happening on all 23 sequences inside my project file. The only way I can get the captions to not burn in, is to turn off the eyeball on the Subtitle track. Which then requires me to re-render the entire timeline.

This is using Premiere v15.4.1 build 6 . Any thoughts ?

TOPICS
Error or problem, Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you are rendering with your "use previews in export" turned on, and you've already created previews with the timecode burned in. You either need to change that setting on export so you will re-render on export or turn off the captions and re-render your timeline.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2021 Oct 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. When exporting " Use Previews " is not selected.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide more screenshots? One of the timelines showing the caption track, the Text Panel, and the Program monitor.

Even though you have rendered the sequence with captions off, I would try "deleting" renders and also clearing the media cache.

Stan

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.
I have attached the screenshots. I did clear the media cache and still had the same results. Captions were still burned in, even when none is selected.

I then cleared media cache ( and verified both the Media Cache and Media Cache Files folders were both empty ) and even deleted the Pro Video Previews , restarted premiere , exported with NONE selected. Same thing, captions are still burned in.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JTW, very odd. I don't recall anyone reporting this problem.

First, as unlikely as it is, be certain you are looking at the correct export folder/file.

Second, I would reset the Captions workspace. I don't see how this would be the problem. 

Third, create a new project, import an asset, create a caption track and a couple of captions. Then test export.

Stan

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Stan.

I verfied I am looking at the correct export folder. Yesterday I had exported about 20 times , each time when the video showed the captions , i removed it from the folder. I even verifed by looking at the time/date stamp on the file.

I did try a new sequence, and the same happened. I will try a new project once I have all videos from this project delivered to the stakeholders. 

My other task is to create steps/process for co-workers to use Adobe Premiere for captions. Before some would export MP4 , and use either Camtasia to create the SRT file, or create the captions manually ( painfully ) in Storyline.

Appreciate the help and suggestions.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your export panel, under Effects, is Timecode Overlay checked?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Negative. I use a transparent video layer with timecode effect , that I turn off for final draft.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay. Let us know. Very odd.

Stan

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had time to start a new small project , using some of the same footage and audio. Captions are exporting as they are supposed to.

The only thing I can think of is I use a master project with all  my folders, sequences, etc already created so I have a common start point, something in the project must be "off". I am going to create a new master project "template" and go forth with that.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for reporting back. Hope everything keeps working!

Stan

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines