Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Captions cannot be used beyond the first line

Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2021 Jul 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe premiere Pro cannot add captions to a project beyond the first line of text. The picture below shows a 14 minute video which I started a caption at 3:03:06. The program refuses to let me add any more lines beyond 3:03:06.

Pressing enter to try and create a new line starts playing the video from the very beginning and every option to add another line is greyed out.

The reason this is broken is because there isn't a single clear instruction about how to use anything in Adobe Premiere Pro.

Adobe needs to quit posting references and information that is 100% useless to anyone who doesn't already know how to use everything in the program. There is no tutorial because what already exists needs instructions. This program is entirely far too complex for anyone not already familliar with it's layout to understand.

The basics of adding captions should not be this complex that it winds up being a totally useless feature to new people. this is absurd

I seriously want someone from adobe to sit down directly behind me and watch how confusing and complex this program really is, because they're clueless right now.

TOPICS
Editing, Effects and Titles, Error or problem, How to, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are manually typing in the subtitles/captions, you need to move the playhead/CTI to where you want the new block to be places. Then the + sign will be bright and you can add another block of text.

I've found the auto-transcription service so useful I'm not typing much anymore.

Have you read their manual section? It's not as complete as I'd like, but covers a lot of things ...

PrPro Help/Captions

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Q: If you are manually typing in the subtitles/captions, you need to move the playhead/CTI to where you want the new block to be places. Then the + sign will be bright and you can add another block of text.

A: I can tell you that is 100% false. Every add option is always greyed out. Even clicking on time further into the video, still only puts what I typed back over at 3:03:06 and doesn't extend beyond that.

Q: I've found the auto-transcription service so useful I'm not typing much anymore.

A: I have absolutely no clue to what that is

Q: Have you read their manual section? It's not as complete as I'd like, but covers a lot of things ...

A: No, and I shouldn't have to either. First off I wasn't even aware there even was such a thing because websites are never organized and make knowing about things next to impossible, and don't know how to make things simple to search either Furthermore, I have always found that 99.9% of any website's so called help section, are compketely useless for a new person because they are nothing more than references instead of real instructions. you already have to know how to use whatever the site is for's stuff, before the help section is of any actual use.

There is no tutorials for Adobe Premire Pro. There are just tooltips, recaps, and references.

As I said, I would love to have someone from Adobe site behind me while I'm trying to edit something, so they can see first hand how ridiculous and complex this is.

I've had adboe CSR's lie to me over the phone saying to do something adobe doesn't allow.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There are quite a few video tutorials on their website in using various aspects of PrPro, Ae, and their other apps. So yes, they do have tutorials. They also have a Help site listed in the Menu system in the About tab, which is where much of the documentation is linked.

Bluntly, I've been as vocal as anyone else here that their help "system" needs vast improvements. Thankfully, in the last two years, they've updated most things and it is a much better setup. Still with major holes at times.

I'm also versed in Resolve ... and if one partakes of the LiftGammaGain forum or the BlackMagic forums for Resolve questions as I do daily, a very common reply there is basically read the manual. Resolve's manual is awesomeness inspired ... but is also a couple thousand pages of pdf file, and can be mental overload.

Because these by their nature are very complex and complicated apps. They are not expected to be 'easy'. And live up to that expectation all the time. Whether PrPro, Resolve, Avid, Baselight ... whatever.

And yes, on my PC, I can sit and move the playhead down a timeline, and then click the + "add" button in the Subtitle panel and type a new caption. I do that daily. Why it isn't on yours, I do not know.

One of the options starting with the just released 15.4 version is Transcription. If you go to the Captions workspace in 15.4, in a sequence without captions yet, the 'blank' panel has three options, one of them is Transcription.

Click that 'button', and you can have PrPro upload the audio to their transcription service. In a minuter or several depending on your 'net speeds and length of sequence, you get a full captions listing in that panel and on your sequence.

It's explained in the links I provided, and works pretty well. You do of course need to go down the line and check spellings and words, but it's quite a massive help. Cuts down time incredibly much.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines