• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captions default to straight quotes and apostrophes when transcribing

New Here ,
Nov 28, 2021 Nov 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed that they captions default to the straight quotes and apostrophes in the captions.

"This isn't right."
“That’s better.”

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 28, 2021 Nov 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are several font styles that behave differently depending on whether you edit in the Text Panel or in the Program Monitor. This appears to be one of them. Make the edit in the Program Monitor, you get smart quotes. In the Text Panel, you get straight quotes.

No, this does not make sense. It is not, by the way, an issue of closed caption (e.g. 608) vs Subtitle.

I did not test what happens on export.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 22, 2023 Feb 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to hijack this and paste it as a feature request...maybe more people might notice it? I'm currenlty subtitling a 2h 30m piece (with lots of technical jargon). For this, I'm NOT going to edit all those quotes and apostrophes like I normally do for shorter pieces!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 22, 2023 Feb 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In some cases, 'smart quotes' on with an apostrophe gets a white box instead of an apostrophe.

Just a heads-up ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2023 Feb 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I second this! Although my piece is only just over an hour, going through the whole timeline and pressing alt + 0146, 0147 & 0148 throughout the different segments is going to drive me wild. Furthermore, this project like for many others out there won't be there first and it certainly won't be my last which is why I think that this needs to be implemented as a standalone feature. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines