I use the caption feature a lot for my work. I have to restart my premiere almost every 5 minutes because something is frozen or the video isn't playing because of the captions. I have a very high-end pc and none of this would happen until the new captions were introduced. For example, if I try to drag out the size of the text box it ALWAYS freezes, instantly have to restart the program. Sometimes also the text just freezes, I will be changing the text then go to the next frame, and its stuck and I have to restart. This is getting extremely annoying and tedious and it is adding so much time on my workflow 😕
This is not normal behavior for most users. There are other reports of slow performance or freezes.
I filed one bug that staff could not reproduce unless they used my project file. I reset preferences and reset the captions workspace - all was well.
I would also do the clear the cache routine; that is the recommended procedure for new versions, unrelated to captions.
When you say you drag out the text box, you are referring to the text box in the Program Monitor? Can you resize it with the control in the Essential Graphics Panel, Align and Transform section?
May we please have details of your system and media? Are you on macOS Big Sur?
Let us know.
I am using windows 10 home.
My pc is:
Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)
nzxt kraken x62 cooler
gigabyte rtx 3070
32gb 3200 memory
1tb nvme ssd
and I edit off of portable samsung 1tb ssd
Media is 4k footage shot on sony z90
Pls give us some solutions, that's really effect to my work flow
Same issue here. I ended up doing it on after effect.
Try updating Premiere Pro.
I was super excited about this new captions workflow plus transcription, but it seems we've traded one buggy workflow to another. Issues such as:
- Edited captions reverting back on their own a few seconds later (even after you've saved the project and did NOT hit undo)
- Captions pane loves to scroll when you select a caption, meaning you now have to chase a scrolling caption so you can double click it and hopefully edit it. Or wait 2 seconds for it to stop moving and settle down. Fine if you're editing one caption, but in a 30 second project, it takes up way too much time. Please just get rid of that scrolling. It's the most annoying part about it this new workflow.
- And finally, please open it up to the scripting side. At least that way I can make my own tools to help me caption faster if these fixes don't happen (which I feel won't happen, looking back at how bugs from the old workflow never got sorted)
Sorry about that. It sounds like a bug with 15.2 or Beta, so maybe you have not updated to 15.4 yet. Can you verify your version, please?
If you need to update, make sure to delete media cache after updating. It's easy if you choose File > Close All Projects, then choose Preferences > Media Cache and delete from there. Quit Premiere Pro. Restart it with Alt/Option pressed and delete preferences.
Should all be well afterward.
I have not seen captions reverting, and don't recall other users reporting this. There were several problems like that in the pre-PR2021 captions. I would do a reset of preferences and workspaces. If this persists, file a bug report:
Re the Text Panel scrolling, this was fixed a bit back by adding the option to turn off the auto-scrolling. In the Text Panel -> Captions tab, click the 3 dots and pick "Disable auto-scrolling." I'm pretty sure that this setting is sticky in your preferences, so it stays set the way you want it after updates.
See this post for the workflow described by a user who was very frustrated by the auto-scrolling (before it became an option). His workflow avoids the Text Panel focus.
Re scripting, see this post by Bruce Bullis:
I am having these exact same problems. I'm using Premiere Pro 15.4 on a Mac running Big Sur.
- After working on the captions for a while, the Text pane starts to have a difficult time keeping up. There is a lag when double clicking on text to edit and auto-scroll gets jumpy, even though I have stopped playback on the timeline.
- And after working on the captions for a while, a caption clip will start reverting back on its own. I've tried saving after each caption change, but they still switch back. I've had to change one caption clip 5 or 6 times. I finally gave up and restarted Premiere. That usually fixes it for a while. I've also gone through the step of deleting the cache files. The problem still comes back.
I'm working on an hour and a half program with over 1400 caption clips.
I'll try with the autoscroll off.
Thanks for the good descriptions.
> I'll try with the autoscroll off.
Let us know. I think that is a good thing to try.
I wonder how much of this may have to do with the performance issue/lagging. One thing some users are trying is zooming in on the timeline to avoid too many captions segments being displayed on the timeline at once.
No, it shouldn't be having these issues, but a) workarounds are good if they can get jobs done and b) it helps if we can identify what the bug is. Not everyone appears to be having these issues.
Thanks for the reply.
I'm starting to think it might have something to do with my machine being old and just not having enough horse power - a 2013 MacPro.
I moved the project to a newer PC laptop and I'm not experiencing the undoing of the captions problem. It can still take a couple of clicks to get into the edit mode of a caption in the text panel. But that's less of a concern than losing and having to redo work.
I have a brand spanking new M1 iMac at home. I'll give it a try there also.
Just as an update. I've had much more success on the newer PC laptop. But after a while, I still run into the problem of the captions changing back for no reason. I can go for a much longer period, but I still run into the problem.
just to say that I'm having the same issues with captions reverting back on its own. I'm using a mac mini, premiere updated.
Hopefully this is a bug it can be solved soon.
Part of the reason old issues didn't get sorted was a new data model was on the way. Now with the new data model in place, I think we can expect lots of things to get fixed now.
Also, would be good to tell them if it occurs in Software only mode as well.