Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captions not importing right Premiere Pro 2021 Captions

Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I had finished a video and sent for captions through 3play and got some "minor video edits" after it was already finished.  I downloaded the srt from the original video and imported into the "Caption" Window in Premiere. For some reason, if there is a pause in the talking, the captions are only off when the speaker begins talking again. It also started adding a different number (in the order of captions) on top of the number already listed. Apologies as this is a little hard to explain. I am adding a screenshot so you can see what I mean. As you can see, the time listed at the start is different than the timecode it's supposed to be and the numbered caption is wrong. I'm not even sure why premiere is randomly adding that text into the caption. When placed as captions in Panopto, it is in the wrong place. I went through the whole captions in Premiere and deleted the wrong number and timecode but get an error message from panopto. 

After, when I export the .srt, the edits and retiming do stay.Screen Shot 2021-08-26 at 2.59.05 PM.png

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen at least one other report of this behavior. I can't find a link to that thread.

Where does the text in that odd caption come from? Is it the original # 711?

The timecode inserted in the text of  #711 overlaps the timecode of caption #713. Is the timecode of #713 correct?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stan!

I do not know where that extra text comes from. It is not in the original. The caption numbers are all normal as well in the original. It's only when it's imported into Adobe Premiere that it happens.

The timecode for 713 is correct and if you look on the left side timecode (for 711), that is the correct one as well. It's just that extra timecode added in that is incorrect that jumbles the captions. I tried editing that extra timecode to match the one on the left but after I type it in, it goes right back to what it was (overlapping 713). Deleting that extra text does not work either as it causes an error in the srt. It is throughout the whole srt in premiere and not just where I made edits. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 27, 2021 Aug 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well this is odd, but here's what is happening.

You describe a "pause." A pause should not have timecode. And what we see in the srt is an empty caption. PR imports the empty caption as 2 empty lines, then the caption number (of the next caption), then the next caption timecode (with the milliseconds, not frames), and then the caption text. Then PR moves to the NEXT caption after that, adds what PR thinks is the next caption number, and puts that caption in correctly.

I think PR should be smarter about this and either put in the empty space or prompt you for an error. But it doesn't, and I tested this in PR2020 (the old caption workflow) and it does the same thing.

I describe two fixes below. But you say "I downloaded the srt from the original video" How did you download? Did you try using the original srt from 3Play? I can't imagine that we wouldn't see more problems with this if 3Play has been doing this. So I'd look to the source first.

Fix 1: remove the empty captions. You (probably) don't need to renumber the captions. It appears to me that PR will renumber them correctly. There are 23 such captions, so not a big deal to do manually. Just delete the empty caption (number, timecode and 2 empty lines). Just be sure you don't have any extra lines.

Fix 2: if you need some indication of these pauses, just put "[pause]" or "[silence]" in the first line of the empty caption. PR imports this correctly, with the [pause] where caption text would be.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines